****

Old December 24th 04, 01:16 PM
mike regish

I forget what you're flying, but ...$15 grand for a cowling?! Yowch!

Shouldn't surprise me since I've seen a little 2" hose clamp that costs
$2900, but that's still outrageous.

Bet you're glad that insurance policy is paid up now tho.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

mike regish

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Cowling dented and exhaust pipe flattened. Doesn't look like much but,
with cowlings going for 15 grand and tearing down the whole exhaust system
to check for cracks, it's going to add up fast.

--

Roger Long

Old December 24th 04, 02:38 PM
Roger Long

It's just a 1977 172 N. Since the cowlings aren't made anymore, each is
essentially a custom project. A clever sheet metal guy might put ours back
together but I don't have the experience to judge. Rivets were popped and
there are some crinkles.

I can't imagine that the exhaust pipe could have gotten flattened at the end
with all the leverage it has on the muffler without cracking and bending
some stuff inside as well. It feels solid though.

--

Roger Long

Old December 24th 04, 04:06 PM
Hilton

Roger,

Cowling dented and exhaust pipe flattened. Doesn't look like much but,

with
cowlings going for 15 grand and tearing down the whole exhaust system to
check for cracks, it's going to add up fast.

Since it's the cowl and exhaust, you should compare prices between the
'standard' stuff and the 'get a few extra knows' stuff. It would be
interesting for you (and us) to see the price differences, especially when
exterpolated over 5 years or so taking fuel savings into account.

Just an idea,

Hilton

Old December 24th 04, 06:37 PM
Maule Driver

That's getting a lump of coal..... hope it turns into a diamond for you.

Best wishes for better luck in the coming year.

Roger Long wrote:
It's really blowing at PWM tonight. I just got the call that the big twin
on the next tiedown jumped its chocks and blew into our plane. No damage
report yet.

We went out today, lashed the cover down and put on an extra tail rope. I
just realized we were checking the wrong airplanes.

Old December 24th 04, 06:38 PM
Blanche

In article , PJ Hunt wrote:
Hey Brian,

For simplicities sake, it's not necessary to include the '/index.html' on
the end of your URL since index.html is a default page anyway.

In other words, people will still get there by simply typing
www.warbard.ca/avgas.

Actually, "index.html" is not always the default page. It's up
to the system administrator when the web server software is installed
to determine what (if any) the "default" page will be.

True, it's somewhat accepted that "index.html" will be the default,
but it's not always wise to make that assumption.

Old December 24th 04, 07:01 PM
PJ Hunt

Actually, "index.html" is not always the default page. It's up

Correct, but in his case I checked it first before I told him about it.

PJ

Here's to the duck who swam a lake and never lost a feather,
May sometime another year, we all be back together.
JJW

Old December 26th 04, 06:42 AM
Brian Burger

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004, PJ Hunt wrote:

Actually, "index.html" is not always the default page. It's up

Correct, but in his case I checked it first before I told him about it.

"index.html" is Avgas's default page, so PJ's right - I can leave it off &
it'll work fine.

I just got into the habit of adding the actual .html file to the URL
because (on other groups) when I mention my site it's when talking about
miniatures & wargaming, and I usually send gamers to
www.warbard.ca/games.html directly, rather than to the main site's
index.html page. (Flying has taken over from wargaming in the last two
years or so, but I still maintain the site because it's always
well-used..)

Avgas has it's own directory, though, so index.html works fine.

Eventually Avgas will have it's own domain, though. Far, far easier. If
only .ca (Canadian) domains weren't so expensive to register...
Anyway, enough about the minuite of my websites...

Brian
www.warbard.ca/avgas/