How many in this club?

Old December 18th 04, 11:49 PM
Peter Duniho

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
Wow!! There are really some distinguished names appearing in this club. I
guess it really isn't a big deal after all...

No, I agree it's not a big deal. I haven't flunked a checkride yet (out of
only four so far), but I would be foolish to think I or anyone else could
possibly be immune to doing so.

Even the best prepared applicant can potentially freeze up, have a momentary
lapse of reason, etc. Heaven knows I've done things during my regular
flying that would have earned me a pink slip during a checkride
(unintentionally, of course).

IMHO, flunking a checkride just means you need to schedule another one. In
nearly all cases, the applicant IS qualified (I think instructors
*generally* do a good job evaluating readiness of their students, regardless
of the kind of rating being sought), and flunking simply is a matter of bad
luck. Exceptions exist, no doubt, but I believe they are far and few
between.

Pete

Old December 19th 04, 12:46 AM
Ditch

Even the best prepared applicant can potentially freeze up, have a momentary
lapse of reason, etc.

I agree with that.
I failed my initial CFI checkride 11 years ago over special VFR near the end of
a 5 hour oral. I just couldn't explain it right...for no good reason either.
Never even got to the airplane.
Went back a couple weeks later and breezed thru it, flew and passed.

As for IR stuff...I get to take a checkride every 6 months either with a
company check-airman, the FAA or both.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old December 19th 04, 01:29 AM
Peter R.

Ditch ) wrote:

I failed my initial CFI checkride 11 years ago over special VFR near the end of
a 5 hour oral. I just couldn't explain it right...for no good reason either.
Never even got to the airplane.

Your DE never let you fly after missing the correct explanation for
SVFR?

After a 5 hour oral, it seems he was looking for any excuse to go
home.

--
Peter

Old December 19th 04, 08:05 AM
Ditch

Your DE never let you fly after missing the correct explanation for
SVFR?
After a 5 hour oral, it seems he was looking for any excuse to go
home.

It was actually my choice. I could have flown but I wasn't in the best of moods
after blowing a simple explanation.

Old December 20th 04, 02:41 AM
Judah

I failed my Private the first time. I couldn't get the plane started using
all of the "tips and tricks" that various instructors and mechanics at the
FBO where I rented from suggested.

The DE said had I used the checklist, he would have called it a mechanical
failure and we would have had a continuance in another plane. But because I
strayed from the checklist, he had to fail me.

Passed the IFR checkride the first time.

Jon Kraus wrote in news:MrWwd.6737$xW3.3525
@fe1.columbus.rr.com:

Just curious as to how many of us are in the "Flunked a Checkride" club.
It seems that the fail rate for the IFR checkride is more prevalent than
the Private. So swallow that false pride and speak up. I'll be first. I
flunked my IFR checkride by busting on holding pattern entry. Anyone
else? Cecil? Jeff? :-)

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Student Mooney Owner

Old December 20th 04, 12:24 PM
tscottme

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
Just curious as to how many of us are in the "Flunked a Checkride" club.
It seems that the fail rate for the IFR checkride is more prevalent than
the Private. So swallow that false pride and speak up. I'll be first. I
flunked my IFR checkride by busting on holding pattern entry. Anyone
else? Cecil? Jeff? :-)

Jon Kraus

Well a friend of mine, did I say friend, should have flunked his IFR ride.
My friend had excellent test prep, in fact the last training flight was
exactly like the checkride. It seems my friend forgot to take his medical
or private license with him on the ride. Fortunately, when the DE asked for
my friend's license or medical so he could get started typing up the
temporary certificate my friend remembered he needed to sprint to the
restroom, which was right beside his locker where his wallet was at. It all
worked out OK. What makes the story an even bigger bonehead example was
that my friend worked as a dispatcher for the flight school and had been
keeping careful notes on what the DEs asked as stumpers and what were some
of the really dumb ways to bust a ride, and forgetting your license/medical
was probably the dumbest way to bust. The only consolation of busting like
this was the re-test was nothing more than walking to the aircraft and maybe
starting the engine before presenting the documents.

Did I mention is was my friend? ;-)

--

Scott

Old December 20th 04, 03:09 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
Just curious as to how many of us are in the "Flunked a Checkride" club.
It seems that the fail rate for the IFR checkride is more prevalent than
the Private. So swallow that false pride and speak up. I'll be first. I
flunked my IFR checkride by busting on holding pattern entry. Anyone else?
Cecil? Jeff? :-)

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Student Mooney Owner

The examiner shouldn't have busted you if you stayed inside the protected
airspace regardless of the type entry.

Mike
MU-2

Old December 20th 04, 06:42 PM

Jon Kraus wrote :
Just curious as to how many of us are in the "Flunked a Checkride"

club.

I'm in that club. I breezed through all of the manuvers on the PPL
ride, went back to the airport and did all of the requisite landings.
On the last time around, the DE asked for a short/soft field landing
and added that he'd be writing up my temporary certificate once it was
completed. Well, that was enough to rattle me. I made two attempts
and both resulted in very ugly landings, with the DE having to apply
power to arrest the sink rate. I'd managed to psyche myself out.

Afterwards, my instructor and I went out and I did 10 of these
landings, all perfect. The DE was still hanging around and both he and
my instructor found this very amusing. The following week I took the
DE up for two more landings and that was the end of it.
John Galban====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old December 20th 04, 07:43 PM
gatt

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message

Just curious as to how many of us are in the "Flunked a Checkride" club.
It seems that the fail rate for the IFR checkride is more prevalent than
the Private.

I failed my Private because I used a private field as a waypoint in my
cross-country plan. I can claim in my defense that I was my instructor's
first student, and when we were prepping for the checkride and he had me do,
by coincidence, nearly the same cross-country plan, I used the field and he
said it was good.

Passed my IFR on the first try, in IMC, but I can't imagine how. I haven't
been that stressed out since Marine Corps OCS.

-c