motorized paraglyders

Old December 19th 04, 05:18 PM

Default motorized paraglyders

Is it FAR 103 that regulates motorized paraglyders and such? I'm
wondering what altitude restrictions they have over congested areas and
people.

Old December 19th 04, 09:07 PM

Larry Dighera wrote:
On 19 Dec 2004 09:18:16 -0800, wrote in
. com::

Is it FAR 103 that regulates motorized paraglyders and such?

That's a good question; it might be Part 105.

Part 105 is he

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...05_main_02.tpl

Part 103 is he

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...03_main_02.tpl

Thanks. I'm thinking Part 105 refers to non-powered chutes, but maybe I
missed something there. 103 may apply, or maybe they aren't regulated
at all, but that's hard to believe because I've seen them as high as
3000' agl, where they can mix with airplanes.

Old December 19th 04, 09:57 PM
mike regish

A lot of the have ceilings as high as 16,500' (some maybe even higher) and
as long as they carry the required oxygen, there's nothing that says they
can't go there.

mike regish

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old December 19th 04, 10:12 PM

mike regish wrote:
A lot of the have ceilings as high as 16,500' (some maybe even

higher) and
as long as they carry the required oxygen, there's nothing that says

they
can't go there.

OK, I'm more interested in how low they can fly over congested areas
and people and whether they are regulated by Part 103 or some other.

Old December 19th 04, 11:33 PM
mike regish

§ 103.15 Operations over congested areas.
top
No person may operate an ultralight vehicle over any congested area of a
city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.

mike regish

wrote in message
ups.com...

OK, I'm more interested in how low they can fly over congested areas
and people and whether they are regulated by Part 103 or some other.

Attached Images
File Type: gif ret-arrow-generic-grey.gif (142 Bytes, 6 views)
Old December 20th 04, 01:24 AM
Larry Dighera

On 19 Dec 2004 13:07:07 -0800, wrote in
.com::

Larry Dighera wrote:
On 19 Dec 2004 09:18:16 -0800,
wrote in
. com::

Is it FAR 103 that regulates motorized paraglyders and such?

That's a good question; it might be Part 105.

Part 105 is he

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...05_main_02.tpl

Part 103 is he

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...03_main_02.tpl

Thanks. I'm thinking Part 105 refers to non-powered chutes, but maybe I
missed something there. 103 may apply, or maybe they aren't regulated
at all, but that's hard to believe because I've seen them as high as
3000' agl, where they can mix with airplanes.

I've added the rec.aviation.ultralight newsgroup to this followup.
Hopefully those folks will have the information you seek.

Check out:
North American Powered Parachute Federation
http://www.nappf.com/

Old December 20th 04, 07:42 AM
Morgans

§ 103.15 Operations over congested areas.
top
No person may operate an ultralight vehicle over any congested area of a
city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.

mike regish

Add that this quote is ignored, as long as you leave yourself a landing
spot incase/when your engine quits.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 20th 04, 08:12 AM
PJ Hunt

Jim,

I don't fly Ultralights or motorized paragliders, but I can read and I see
no where under §103.15 where it says,

QUOTE
Add that this quote is ignored, as long as you leave yourself a landing
spot incase/when your engine quits.

END QUOTE

Where are you getting this?

PJ

Here's to the duck who swam a lake and never lost a feather,
May sometime another year, we all be back together.
JJW

Old December 20th 04, 11:57 AM
Morgans

"PJ Hunt" wrote in message
Jim,

I don't fly Ultralights or motorized paragliders, but I can read and I see
no where under §103.15 where it says,

QUOTE
Add that this quote is ignored, as long as you leave yourself a landing
spot incase/when your engine quits.

END QUOTE

Where are you getting this?

PJ

Uh, watching them fly over my house, which is in city limits, for one.
--
Jim in NC