Microsoft FSX Real-Life Weather

Old October 22nd 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Microsoft FSX Real-Life Weather

We had a pilot and his wife with us at the hotel Sunday who was
waiting for the wind to drop before departing for home. The winds
were really howling here, gusting to over 30 knots, and they didn't
want to do the "imitation popcorn popper" ride all the way home to
Missouri.

While they were waiting, I set him up in our newly upgraded Kiwi
flight simulator (see it he http://www.alexisparkinn.com/flight_simulator.htm),
at their home airport. I knew he would want me to program in some
crosswind (to better simulate the landing at home) and while tinkering
I ran across a choice I had never used befo "Download real-time
winds and weather."

I clicked on it, not knowing what to expect. Well, quicker than I can
check ADDS weather, Flight Simulator X had gone on-line and downloaded
the current weather at their home airport. It then incorporated this
weather into the sim, and within moments our guest was getting tossed
around in real-life turbulence, fighting a stiff, 80-degree cross wind
to land -- at his very own airport -- EXACTLY like he was about to do
in "real life". Very cool!

I know there are those here who don't think sims are very useful, but
this new (to me) feature really enhances the overall experience. And
our pilot-guest certainly agreed!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 22nd 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

That's a great feature to use when contemplating "What would a instrument
approach into XYZ look like in the current crap that's happening outside."
Night-time snow storms with howling winds and near 0 vis is the most fun.
I'll usually do a few of those after barely getting home during a snow
storm.
Jim

oups.com...

Old October 22nd 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

[...]

This option exists in FS 2004 as well.

MSFS is surprisingly good at weather from version 2004 on. Vast improvements
were made and the sky really does look realistic, and the weather really does
match the correct and current weather at your sim location (if you choose to
download real weather). However, if you want the absolute best in simulated
weather, download and install ActiveSky (about $37, http://www.hifisim.com).
This is the standard for MSFS weather for serious simmers and it is
astonishingly realistic. It was designed by pilots and weather fanatics and
goes into extraordinary detail. Many weather scenarios in the sim are pretty
much indistinguishable from real life with ActiveSky running. Even more
amazing, frame rates are the same or slightly better with ActiveSky, as
compared to MSFS' own weather engine.

I was walking home a few days ago and looked at the sky and thought "that
looks as nice as ActiveSky," before I realized the absurdity of that thought.

A few days ago I nearly ended a flight in tragedy when I got caught on the
outer edge of some thunderstorm activity while trying to reach KJFK (I use
ActiveSky now). I diverted to KEWR and survived, but not without injuring a
FA in turbulence. I saw the anvil-shaped thunderheads from miles away, but I
didn't make the connection and recognize the danger until I was nearly in it.
And lately the winds along the Pacific coast have been quite hellish,
too--great for challenging simulation but not something I'd want to fly in for
real. You also get turbulence over the mountains, thermals to order, and wake
turbulence, as well as severe icing if the circumstances warrant it.
Old October 22nd 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Oct 23, 8:58 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Jay Honeck writes:
[...]

Jays Kiwi is a flight simulator that can be used by real live pilots
to enhance their real flying skills.
What you have is a game!

Old October 22nd 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Jay Honeck writes:

[...]

Oh jeez. The line between fantazy and reality just keeps getting thinner
with our expert simmer.

---------------------------------
DW

Old October 22nd 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

How the **** would you know? You've never been in real life.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
.... industry giant Microsoft Corporation... a company that has become
Old October 22nd 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

Jay Honeck writes:
[...]

uh, the 'kiwi' is a metal frame with a computer screen and a joystick
attached.

Old October 22nd 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

george writes:

Jays Kiwi is a flight simulator that can be used by real live pilots
to enhance their real flying skills.
What you have is a game!

He is running the same software I am. The only real difference between the
two is in your attitude towards their owners.
Old October 22nd 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

george writes:

Jays Kiwi is a flight simulator that can be used by real live pilots
to enhance their real flying skills.
What you have is a game!

He is running the same software I am. The only real difference
between the two is in your attitude towards their owners.

Neither sim is anything like a real airplane.

But the idiot attached to your's is definitely the genuine article.

Bertie
Old October 22nd 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote

I clicked on it, not knowing what to expect. Well, quicker than I can
check ADDS weather, Flight Simulator X had gone on-line and downloaded
the current weather at their home airport. It then incorporated this
weather into the sim, and within moments our guest was getting tossed
around in real-life turbulence, fighting a stiff, 80-degree cross wind
to land -- at his very own airport -- EXACTLY like he was about to do
in "real life". Very cool!

I know there are those here who don't think sims are very useful, but
this new (to me) feature really enhances the overall experience. And
our pilot-guest certainly agreed!

So how did they do, on landing the sim? Did they strike out for home, or
wait, and was the sim partly responsible for helping make their decision?
--
Jim in NC