Bowlus & Nelson Bumble Bee powered glider questions

Old January 19th 09, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soon2bexpat

Default Bowlus & Nelson Bumble Bee powered glider questions

I have a 16mm home movie showing a test flight of the Bumble Bee at
Rosamond Dry Lake in 1945. I need help with 2 things:

1) I would imagine that Bowlus and Nelson are part of this movie but I
can't find a photograph of either of these guys so that I can ID them.
Does anyone know where there is a picture online?

2) There is a female pilot. Does anyone know of a woman who flew for
Nelson Aircraft Co.?

Thanks in advance,
John Schag
BuffaloInFlames.com- Vintage Firemen Photos
Old January 19th 09, 11:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
VinceC

Any chance of getting the film converted to digital so we can all see?
Here is an extract I saved, can't remember where from

Nelson Hummingbird - (scanned - 1997)
Ted Nelson sought to enhance performance of 1946 Dragonfly design.
Improved engine, adding horsepower and making retractable within rear
fuselage, sealed by doors. Hawley Bowlus no longer with project; most
of the engineering fell to Harry Perl, with Don Mitchell helping.
First version had new metal cantilever wings with solid styrofoam in D-
tube and fabric aft of spar. Fuselage and tail were wood, with anti-
servo-tab flying stabilizer. BB-1 pod used originally with side-by-
side seating, retractable tricycle landing gear, and wide aft fuselage
tapering to empennage. Quickly replaced by sleek tandem fuselage
design (also wood), with 2-wheel gear (main and steerable nose)
balanced during taxiing by wing tip outriggers. Production versions
had similar configuration, but all wood replaced with metal except for
rudder which had a radio antenna built in. Wing fabric replaced with
thin magnesium sheet. Aircraft performed well but was priced
considerably above existing 2-place aircraft, thus never sold well
enough to proceed with volume production and certification. 2
Hummingbirds in National Soaring Museum collection. Charles Rhodes
bought the aircraft and engine rights from Nelson and marketed 48 hp
version of engine designated H-63 for light aircraft and helicopter
use.