LX5000 FAI : any reason to keep my VL ?

Old September 20th 04, 05:45 PM
Chip Fitzpatrick

I'm using either Downloader via an IPAQ or LXE with a laptop to move
information so I don't know much about the Winpilot interface.
However, the Winpilot uses the same NMEA data stream As Fly With CE.
The settings can be found under the setup menu. That is accessible
through the menus behind Password.

The NMEA stream goes through the 232. The LX7K had a cable set
labeled Winpilot which hooked into the dangling 232 cable. I think
the only purpose it served was a wiring reconfiguration to support
IPAQ communication.

The round shaped 5 pin I connect to a female terminated cable to a 232
serial to the laptop. I've never checked to see if the NMEA data goes
to this port.

"Ludovic Launer" wrote in message ...
Thanks a lot.
Where are NMEA sentences coming out from ?
From the RS232C ? or from the PC-RS232C ?
Or both maybe ?

Is the BINDER 5pin male the round shape connector ?

Regards,
Ludovic

I would have expected it to come with the unit, but I have a wiring
diagram (includes other LX recorders as well) which I will post at:

http://www.spsys.demon.co.uk/temp/LX-wiring.pdf

Old September 21st 04, 06:37 AM
Clint

(Dave Piotrowski) wrote in message . com...
I've been considering purchasing an LX 5000. I was thinking if I did
so I could do away with the PDA. Given the capabilities built into the
LX unit itself, what does running WinPilot or other PDA based program
give you? (Besides color moving map).

I use the LX 5000 for final glide (it is always set to my home
airport), speed to fly and averaging when I fly. I use the PDA (Palm
running Soaringpilot) for navigation on the task and the thermal-zoom
graphic is very useful. The investment in the Palm (~$130) and
software (free) is minimal for the added convenience it gives in the
cockpit. No endless fiddling with the LX between the graphic and
numeric displays. Both units log the flight but recovering the data
from the LX involves lugging a laptop to the glider. I only bother
when the memory is getting full and then recover all the flights for
historic purposes. For the flight analysis in the evenings after the
flight - I use the log from Soaringpilot. If you need an FAI approved
log (for the odd diamond or world record) - then the LX 5000 log (for
the later models) is then needed, as the PDA log is not approved. I do
not have a colour (not a spelling mistake - it is how we spell color
in Africa) PDA as the Palm colour units are poor in direct sunlight
(plenty of that in Africa as well) and do not have the money for an
IPAQ and Winpilot.

Clinton
LAK 12
Old September 21st 04, 08:40 AM
Janos Bauer

Clint wrote:
not have a colour (not a spelling mistake - it is how we spell color
in Africa) PDA as the Palm colour units are poor in direct sunlight
(plenty of that in Africa as well) and do not have the money for an
IPAQ and Winpilot.

I use a Tungsten T and previously an M515. Both has color display and
has no problem under sunlight. Avoid T2, T3 and zire types, that units
has the problem what you described.
Regards,

/Janos

LX5000 help Ted Wagner Soaring 1 April 29th 04 03:27 AM
iPaq and LX5000 connectivity question (hardware?) Ted Wagner Soaring 1 April 22nd 04 09:29 PM
Any LX5000, SeeYou Mobile & Downloader users ... Ted Wagner Soaring 2 April 4th 04 05:48 PM