Uniform Question

Old August 26th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Kambic

Default Uniform Question

When did baseball caps become part of the Naval Uniform, both
officially and unofficially?

I have seen photos circa 1940 of Army Air Corps line mechanics wearing
something similar. There are newsreels from 1942 showing ADM Halsey
in a ballcap with a rather large bill. I've seen photos and newreels
of other senior officers in similar headgear.

Did they begin in the Air Navy? They are pretty practical working
around recipricators (I guess nothing is appropriate around "hot
tubes" ;-) ).

I've got some historcial "coffee table" books I'll review to see just
how early they show up. I was hoping one of the group may have a
definiative answer!!! :-)

Old August 26th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
George Shirley

Bill Kambic wrote:
When did baseball caps become part of the Naval Uniform, both
officially and unofficially?

I have seen photos circa 1940 of Army Air Corps line mechanics wearing
something similar. There are newsreels from 1942 showing ADM Halsey
in a ballcap with a rather large bill. I've seen photos and newreels
of other senior officers in similar headgear.

Did they begin in the Air Navy? They are pretty practical working
around recipricators (I guess nothing is appropriate around "hot
tubes" ;-) ).

I've got some historcial "coffee table" books I'll review to see just
how early they show up. I was hoping one of the group may have a
definiative answer!!! :-)

I went into the Navy in June 1957 and the ball cap was a standard issue
at that time. We wore them with our dungarees only. I was an Airedale
for 2.5 years and did my last year on destroyers, we wore them in both
branches on a routine basis. My flight "uniform" was either the Indian
orange or the tan coveralls with a ball cap. Can't speak for when they
became an issue item but know they were issued from 1957 to 1963 when I
was discharged.

George
Old August 27th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
B.C. MALLAM

On 8/26/07 9:30 AM, in article ,
"George Shirley" wrote:

Bill Kambic wrote:
[...]

I started NAVCAD training in the Summer of '58 and left the Navy in early
'69 and never was issued or knew anyone that had a ball cap.

Old August 27th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
George Shirley

B.C. MALLAM wrote:
On 8/26/07 9:30 AM, in article ,
"George Shirley" wrote:

Bill Kambic wrote:
[...]

I was enlisted, it was an item of uniform issued through small stores.
Some CO's didn't like them and then the EM's wore white hats and, on
occasion, the flat hat in the winter. Different birds.

George
Old August 28th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
J.McEachen

In VAH-5, CAG-8, on Forrestal in 1961-63 flight crews had red ball caps.
We wore them from the ready room to the a/c, with our flight helmets
in o/d carry bags. I have a flight crew photo from 1961 with all 13
crews on the flight deck lined up alongside an A3D. As PIO, I remember
asking several to put the caps further back on their heads so we could
see their faces, then I took my place. The Forrestal '61 cruise book is
filled with sailors with dark blue ball caps. I also see other
squadrons, mainly officers, with ball caps with the squadron id on the
front (i.e., VA-81). For RON's and cross countries, I always had a
fore'n'aft/p***cutter cap in a flight suit pocket.
J.McEachen VAH-5

Bill Kambic wrote:
When did baseball caps become part of the Naval Uniform, both
officially and unofficially?

I have seen photos circa 1940 of Army Air Corps line mechanics wearing
something similar. There are newsreels from 1942 showing ADM Halsey
in a ballcap with a rather large bill. I've seen photos and newreels
of other senior officers in similar headgear.

Did they begin in the Air Navy? They are pretty practical working
around recipricators (I guess nothing is appropriate around "hot
tubes" ;-) ).

I've got some historcial "coffee table" books I'll review to see just
how early they show up. I was hoping one of the group may have a
definitive answer!!! :-)

Old August 31st 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
vincent norris

I started NAVCAD training in the Summer of '58 and left the Navy in early
'69 and never was issued or knew anyone that had a ball cap.

I arrived at Pensacola in June, 1949. Got my wings and commission in
the USMC at Corpus Christi in Feb. 1951. Got out in July, 1954.

I still have a khaki-colored ball cap with large bill that I picked up
at one of those places, although I can't remember which one.

I do recall wearing it with flight gear. It was useful to keep the sun
out of my eyes but not interfere with a headset.

vince norris

Tango Uniform Jim Fisher Piloting 21 December 28th 04 03:49 PM
FA: WWII B-3jacket, B-1 pants, Class A uniform N329DF Military Aviation 1 August 16th 03 03:41 PM
Air Force Uniform Envy Thomas Schoene Military Aviation 35 August 11th 03 02:04 AM
Air Force unveils new uniform plan Otis Willie Military Aviation 1 August 9th 03 08:32 AM
FS: WWII Army Aircorps Uniform TJ Aviation Marketplace 0 July 29th 03 07:21 PM