Chinese fighter jet crashes at air show

Old October 15th 11, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
Sam

Default Chinese fighter jet crashes at air show

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:51:22 -0400, vaughn wrote:

I've heard that claim in regards to several airshow accidents and I seldom
believe it. If a plane is out of control, you simply can't control it, so
therefore you can't control where it crashes. From the tiny bit of video I saw,
that plane appeared far beyond any control from the pilot. I concede that in
cases of engine failure or fire there may be room for some pilot heroics.

Concur. OOC is, by definition, NIC of the PIC.

Airshows are designed to keep the aircraft's vectors parallel to, or away from
the crowd. That's done for a good reason! It means that any crash should miss
the crowd. The recent Reno accident shows what can happen when you have vectors
towards the crowd.. .

Concur and do not concur. Reno was a race (not an AS) however an
argument can be made that vectors could be arranged with a greater
degree of safety.

I have witnessed two airshow accidents. Both happened so quickly and so close
to the ground that the pilot couldn't possible have chosen his point of impact.
(One was a loop that was apparently started too close to the ground. The
pullout point ended up slightly below ground....fatal. The other was a Cri-Cri
that lost an engine and then directional control on takeoff. It nearly ended up
in the crowd.)

We simply do not need races and shows to be less vigilant or less
truthful. I would hope that literary incompetence and not determined
misdirection by the Chinese involved can be blamed in this particular
case.
Old October 15th 11, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
Ray O'Hara[_3_]

"Sam" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:51:22 -0400, vaughn wrote:

I've heard that claim in regards to several airshow accidents and I
seldom
believe it. If a plane is out of control, you simply can't control it,
so
therefore you can't control where it crashes. From the tiny bit of video
I saw,
that plane appeared far beyond any control from the pilot. I concede
that in
cases of engine failure or fire there may be room for some pilot heroics.

Concur. OOC is, by definition, NIC of the PIC.

engine failure doesn't mean totally out of control.

Old October 15th 11, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
Sam

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 08:50:38 -0400, Ray O'Hara wrote:

"Sam" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:51:22 -0400, vaughn wrote:

I've heard that claim in regards to several airshow accidents and I
seldom
believe it. If a plane is out of control, you simply can't control it,
so
therefore you can't control where it crashes. From the tiny bit of video
I saw,
that plane appeared far beyond any control from the pilot. I concede
that in
cases of engine failure or fire there may be room for some pilot heroics.

Concur. OOC is, by definition, NIC of the PIC.

engine failure doesn't mean totally out of control.

Reductio ad absurdum and the slippery slope? Sir, you have a
refutation of an argument by carrying that argument to its logical
end and so reducing it to an absurd conclusion.

Or not.
Old October 15th 11, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
vaughn[_3_]

"Ray O'Hara" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:51:22 -0400, vaughn wrote:

I've heard that claim in regards to several airshow accidents and I seldom
believe it. If a plane is out of control, you simply can't control it, so
therefore you can't control where it crashes. From the tiny bit of video I
saw,
that plane appeared far beyond any control from the pilot. I concede that
in
cases of engine failure or fire there may be room for some pilot heroics.

Concur. OOC is, by definition, NIC of the PIC.

engine failure doesn't mean totally out of control.

As a Commercial glider pilot, I can only agree. But I already implied as much
in my earlier post, and even included in-flight fire.

Vaughn

Old October 16th 11, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
Ray O'Hara[_3_]

"vaughn" wrote in message

"Ray O'Hara" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:51:22 -0400, vaughn wrote:

I've heard that claim in regards to several airshow accidents and I
seldom
believe it. If a plane is out of control, you simply can't control it,
so
therefore you can't control where it crashes. From the tiny bit of
video I saw,
that plane appeared far beyond any control from the pilot. I concede
that in
cases of engine failure or fire there may be room for some pilot
heroics.

Concur. OOC is, by definition, NIC of the PIC.

engine failure doesn't mean totally out of control.

As a Commercial glider pilot, I can only agree. But I already implied as
much in my earlier post, and even included in-flight fire.

Vaughn

it seems to me they should make every pilot first get a glider pilots
license and really learn to fly.
at an air show a long time ago I watched Bob Hoover take off and once at
altitude shut his engines of and then do an areobatic show for a half hour
and finally land stopping at a coin he had placed on the runway before
taking off.
His point as he said in his speech to the crowd was that a crash was rarely
the planes fault but usually was the pilots.

I onlt have been in a glider once, I took a four hour glider ride near
Franconia Notch in the White Mts, it was amazing , so graceful and peaceful.
it's something I recommend everybody do.

Old October 16th 11, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
Dan[_12_]

On 10/15/2011 9:11 PM, Ray O'Hara wrote:
wrote in message

"Ray wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

What o'haha fails mention is both examples were under good
conditions. When things go bad in a high performance aircraft it
happens fast and usually not under ideal circumstances. In the event of
engine failure flight control rapidly degrades due to lack of hydraulic
pressure.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old October 16th 11, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
george152

wrote in message

"Ray wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

hes a kook a kookine kook it el ya a kookie kook kook
Old October 16th 11, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
Ray O'Hara[_3_]

wrote in message

"Ray wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

clearly I wasn't talking about high performance aircraft dannyboi.
but you just love to misinterpet anything. **** off

Old October 16th 11, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
george152

wrote in message

"Ray wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

So he has to pretend to be some-one else..What a loser!