dimpling

Old September 25th 05, 02:26 AM
Mike Rapoport

Default dimpling

When I dimple holes in thin sheet they get larger to the point where the
clecos won't hold. Should I drill holes that are to be dimpled for 1/8
rivets a little smaller (like #31 or #32)? What are others doing?

Mike
Murphy Moose.

Old September 25th 05, 02:40 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
k.net...
When I dimple holes in thin sheet they get larger to the point where the
clecos won't hold. Should I drill holes that are to be dimpled for 1/8
rivets a little smaller (like #31 or #32)? What are others doing?

Mike
Murphy Moose.

Never had that problem and I did a bunch of drilling and dimpling on the
RV-6. Are you drilling #30 to start with and using quality dimple dies? I
hate to ask, but are you using the copper colored clecos, or have you
accidentally dipped into the silver ones?

Another option is that your cleco's are worn out. Any chance of that?

KB

Old September 25th 05, 03:12 AM
Jerry Springer

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
k.net...

When I dimple holes in thin sheet they get larger to the point where the
clecos won't hold. Should I drill holes that are to be dimpled for 1/8
rivets a little smaller (like #31 or #32)? What are others doing?

Mike
Murphy Moose.

Never had that problem and I did a bunch of drilling and dimpling on the
RV-6. Are you drilling #30 to start with and using quality dimple dies? I
hate to ask, but are you using the copper colored clecos, or have you
accidentally dipped into the silver ones?

Another option is that your cleco's are worn out. Any chance of that?

KB

Another problem I had whem I bult my RV-6 was I had bought a bunch
of generic "clecos" from ATS and they were all junk had to throw them
all away.
Make sure they are the Cleco brand or Wedgelock brand most other brands
are junk.

Jerry
Old September 25th 05, 03:46 AM
Mike Rapoport

I am using cleco brand and, yes, I am using the copper ones. The dimple
dies are the "springback" ones from US Tool. The skins are 6061 if that
makes a difference.

Mike
MU-2

Old September 25th 05, 02:13 PM
Bruce E Butts

Mike,
Veeduber recommends that one drill with a #40, deburr and then dimple
with the 1/8" dimple dies. I have done some like that and some using
the #30 drill first. Sometimes I have to 'open up' the hole a bit with
a reamer when trying to put in the rivet when I use the #40 bit first.
Veeduber's advise was in reference to using blind rivets iirc.

The springback dimple dies are meant for dimpling fuel tank skins so
that smearing sealant will not make the rivet stand proud of the dimple
so I think they may be a few thousandths oversize.

Hope this helps and remember all advice is worth what you paid for it!
Bruce

Old September 25th 05, 02:27 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Bruce E Butts" wrote in message

Mike,
Veeduber recommends that one drill with a #40, deburr and then dimple with
the 1/8" dimple dies.

A 1/8" dimple die won't fit in a #40 hole, which is roughly 3/32.

I have done some like that and some using the #30 drill first. Sometimes
I have to 'open up' the hole a bit with a reamer when trying to put in the
rivet when I use the #40 bit first. Veeduber's advise was in reference to
using blind rivets iirc.

The springback dimple dies are meant for dimpling fuel tank skins so that
smearing sealant will not make the rivet stand proud of the dimple so I
think they may be a few thousandths oversize.

Most of the high quality dimple dies are of the springback configuration.
They are good for dimpling everything that needs to be dimpled, not just
tanks. They are not oversize. Some of the tool vendors sell special tank
dyes which produce a slightly deeper dimple, but that isn't a function of
whether they are springback dyes or not.

Old September 25th 05, 02:28 PM
John T

Whatcha need to do is take a little scrap of aluminum with the correct
size hole in it. When you put the cleco through your part, you put the
scap on the end of the cleco and that will "clamp" the parts to your cleco.

John

Old September 25th 05, 02:45 PM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

John T wrote:

Whatcha need to do is take a little scrap of aluminum with the correct
size hole in it. When you put the cleco through your part, you put the
scap on the end of the cleco and that will "clamp" the parts to your cleco.

John

Doesn't help if he's closing a part or has a bunch of holes that need
clecos. If he really needs to do as you suggest washers are cheap and
smaller than you the scrap you suggest. I can't imagine a situation
where one would need to use a back up if one is using proper proceedure
and good tools.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old September 25th 05, 04:07 PM
Drew Dalgleish

Hi Mike
It may be an issue with the 6061 skins cuz I found the same problem
when I was building my rebel. I used the cheap dimpler that has a nail
through the centre or the same dies that I welded to a pair of vice
grips. Drilling 3/32" then dimpling then opening up the holes to #30
worked for me.

Old September 25th 05, 04:10 PM
Drew Dalgleish

You might also try asking at the murphy builders group mailing list.

https://www.dcsol.com/public/code/html-subscribe.htm