GDL 49/EchoFlight Reception

Old January 24th 04, 03:48 AM
O. Sami Saydjari

Default GDL 49/EchoFlight Reception

I recently installed a Garmin GDL 49 to receive weather reports from
satellite (Echoflight subscription). I was disappointed that we only
were in contact with the satellite for 60% of the time. In particular,
we were not able to get reports just as we needed them...as we were
approaching IFR conditions in Wisconsin (coming from the west). It was
quite frustrating. When it worked, it worked just great. But not
having coverage that much was not good. Does anyone else have
experience with the GDL 49/Echo Flight combination? I am trying to
figure out if the problem is noise being picked up on my antenna do to a
faulty installation, or if the coverage is inherently that poor.

-Sami

Old January 26th 04, 01:28 AM
mike milan

I have had a GDL 49 for one year. After an "upgrade" it still performed
poorly. In the clouds it took so long to get weather that it was of no use.
I recently had it taken out and Garmin gave me a refund! Good Luck.

Mike Milan

Old January 26th 04, 11:09 AM
Mark T. Mueller

I have a 530 installed, and chose that model based upon the anticipation of
Garmin adding in-flight weather capabilities. After much research and
visiting the various vendors at OSH, I was deeply disappointed in Garmin, to
the point of not wanting to purchase another Garmin product. Had I known
Garmin would be like this, I would have saved the extra cash and went with a
430 or waited for the CNX-80...

The GDL-49 was another one of those "good ideas" but never really worked in
the field. I noticed that EchoFlight, which sells the service via OrbComm
(too many companies in the mix???) was very sketchy when they first tried to
deliver product. Their presence at AOPA was mixed until Garmin propped them
up...

What really sickens me about Garmin was they KNEW this product was a loser
fairly early on, and since have selected WxWorx XM Sat system for the G1000.
To date, they have REFUSED to discuss adding this capability to the 430/530
boxes. At OSH last summer, the response from the Garmin reps was "if you
don't like the GDL-49, don't buy it, we are ONLY supporting WxWorx on the
G1000..."

So now, for sat weather, I am looking at NavAir's PocketPC solution using
WxWorx XM system. Whole 'shootin match' for under $2K. Yes, it is an
obnoxious bundle of cables and pieces, but it works, the XM sat system is
stable, reliable, and has good coverage, and you don't have more holes in
your fuselage from bogus antenna installations...

Got to love those monopolies!!! Especially after Garmin purchased UPSAT, and
moved their corporate HQ to the Caymans... Who CARES what the customers
want!

Old January 27th 04, 12:44 AM
JerryK

You are doing quite a bit better than most people I know. The need to
request data and get a reply does not appear to be working to well. Too
many place for the request to get lost, too much processing. The XM
broadcast only model from WxWrox seems to work much better.

jerry

Old January 30th 04, 07:22 PM
gwengler

I have the WSI / MX20 combination installed in my T182. This works
really great! The oldest weather information I have noticed was about
4 minutes old (continuous broadcast). I have never lost reception of
the weather data. I am very happy with this system and can highly
recommend it.

Gerd
T182T C-FDOW