Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

Old October 25th 18, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

Having been around for "metal/fabric" gliders and composites over several decades, knowledge is great, but time is the issue.
I have been around from the beginning on metal/fabric hands on, watched composite from the beginning although I am usually late in the game hands on. Mostly "great finish" with lots of time.
Yes, machines is part of it, suitable location is another part (lunch at midday is nice!), this all costs someone something.
Experience is another thing.
I know Papa3 has learned from the "Skunkworks" over the years.
It is dusty, dirty, time consuming work for either type. Even cheap labor can get expensive.
Yes, I have been involved with "flat sand, polish" to prolong existing crap gel coat up to full refinish.
It all takes time, tools, knowledge and a decent place to work.

Yes, this can be a great club exercise, at least some members understand what is involved if you don't maintain what you already have.
Then again, it can be easy to take a simple job and make it expensive (not watching cords, wrap it in a polisher, punch holes in bits......I have done a repolish after the glass fix......).

This is NOT a, "I want to save money, spend a bit, make it great!". Yes you can, then again, it is real easy to F up.......then it gets expensive real fast.
Old October 26th 18, 12:48 AM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pfiffner[_2_] View Post
On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 5:43:08 AM UTC-7, POPS wrote:
'Richard Pfiffner[_2_ Wrote:
;976901']Pictures and process for refinishing a ventus b fuselage. Work
in progress pictures and process as work is completed.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Yo, that's a great pic log. I know you said you'd never do it, but when
your all finished you could roll your old trusty-rusty all-terrain tow
vehicle in there, hook it onto that lazy-susan contraption and put the
spit shine to that sucker!
Just think how Gooood yud look coming and going!
Just think about it...

--
POPS

Previa has a new paint job already. 441,236 miles replaced the right door handle, never changed transmission fluid. changed spark plugs and engine oil.

On to 500K
Noooooo, don't tell me you don't have that Urban Assault Vehicle rust patina hood any more? Your calling card is gone! You're just another joe in the crowd.
Well, at least the interior's still setting the standard. Or did ya blow it there too?
Old October 26th 18, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Thursday, October 25, 2018 at 5:43:10 PM UTC-7, POPS wrote:
'Richard Pfiffner[_2_ Wrote:
;977287']On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 5:43:08 AM UTC-7, POPS wrote:-
'Richard Pfiffner[_2_ Wrote: -
[...]

Patina will be back as soon as I hit another deer or two.

Richard
Old October 26th 18, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

"Bam....be.......".
Yes, I have hit a deer at about 50MPH, amazing the damage that can be done. :-(
Old October 28th 18, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Friday, October 26, 2018 at 8:36:12 AM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
"Bam....be.......".
Yes, I have hit a deer at about 50MPH, amazing the damage that can be done. :-(

Last 2 coats of Vinyl ester primer sand with 180g next. The reason for so many coats of fairing primer and primer is to sand to make sure the surface is flat with no flaws. If you don't do this the finish with not be good and all the defects will show at the finish coat. Next sanding with P180.

Old November 2nd 18, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 4:35:37 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Friday, October 26, 2018 at 8:36:12 AM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
"Bam....be.......".
Yes, I have hit a deer at about 50MPH, amazing the damage that can be done. :-(

Last 2 coats of Vinyl ester primer sand with 180g next. The reason for so many coats of fairing primer and primer is to sand to make sure the surface is flat with no flaws. If you don't do this the finish with not be good and all the defects will show at the finish coat. Next sanding with P180..

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Last coat of JP202 Primer, tomorrow sand with P320, then top coat with JAU Acrylic Urethane.

Old November 2nd 18, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

It appears that your fuselage stand does not have any sort of rollers or
bearings to make spinning the fuselage easy.Â* How do you do it?Â* Do you
have an assistant lift the nose while you rotate at the ring?

Curious...

On 11/1/2018 6:48 PM, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
[...]

Dan, 5J
Old November 2nd 18, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

I have shop envy.

T8
Old November 2nd 18, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Yeah, sorta.
;-)

Yes, lots of work if done right. I have seen the process, usually around for the final stages.
Peeps that think, "sure, I can get it done for a grand or two", is hopefully looking to unload quickly.

While I have little experience in some newer outer coatings, doing gelcoat finishing is like polishing granite with wet toilet paper.
Maybe have a crew of females (not politically correct) so when they sand, they can chant, "I must, I must, I must build my bust....".
Yes, lots of work, even with machines.
Sheesh, anyone that has gone through it and it lasts more than a couple years, labor is the main issue.
Period.
Old November 2nd 18, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 7:59:12 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

Two wheels in the bottom stand ring rolls on them.

refinishing Ventus 2cm- wing profile [email protected] Soaring 20 November 6th 11 01:15 AM
refinishing Stig Pedersen Soaring 1 November 27th 05 05:50 PM
refinishing Stig Pedersen Soaring 1 November 26th 05 10:16 PM
Second speaker in Ventus 2b/c fuselage [email protected] Soaring 3 September 14th 05 05:41 PM
REFINISHING Ventus B Soaring 32 December 3rd 03 11:14 PM