Handheld Nav/Com suggestions?

Old September 12th 04, 03:42 PM
Vaughn

Default Handheld Nav/Com suggestions?

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz *AT* adelphia *DOT* net wrote in message

A lot of the shop people have told me the Vertex VXA-210 is a nice
unit to have, but I see King is really moving the ICOM A23 and Sportys
is pushing their SP-200.

Vertex and Icom are the Toyota and Honda of that little industry, either
one will sell you a good radio. I don't know who is currently making Sporty's
radios, had one years ago and it was great.

I'm kinda leaning towards the ICOM A23 for what I think may be a
"silly" reason. NiMH batteries. I'm not at all keen on carrying
alkalines with me all the time and I've seen 1st hand the "memory"
problems inherent with NiCd batteries. The small size and weight are
pros as well.

You can get replacement packs for either radio with NIMH cells at
http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage71.htm . Regardless of what anybody
says, you only average two years on a pack. Alkalines have the advantage that
you can replace them in a couple of minutes and go on flying. Once a
regargeable pack is dead, it is typically usless until you can get it home and
charge it.

Small size and light weight are very important when you have few places in
the cockpit to store stuff. Until recently, I was a glider rides pilot/CFIG and
I used the little Vertex on a light lanyard around my neck. Just like in your
chopper, I need both hands available for flying (particularly in the pattern)
don't have time to fumble around for my radio, and don't want the thing adrift
on the floor and perhaps jammed under a rudder peddle.

Chopper headsets use special wiring, and I don't know how well they work
with portable radios and/or if you need a special adapter. Perhaps someone who
knows will chime in on that subject.

One thing I'm not really sure on is the 8.33 KHz frequency spacing.
As far as I've been able to determine, it's not "required" here in the
states, but "is coming soon". How much of a requirement is this
spacing going to be? My buddy's ancient radio in his '62 Citabria
sure seems to be able to reach everyone we want to talk to when we're
out buzzing around. If this spacing is coming really soon, then the
SP-200 might be a better choice.

I doubt that it will matter in the lifetime of your new portable.

I have been enjoying your posts on the rotorcraft group.

Vaughn