cost to install engine analyzer (4 cyl)?

Old September 30th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
houstondan

Default cost to install engine analyzer (4 cyl)?

care to expand on that a bit??

dan
Denny wrote:
On a low compression, low horsepower, carbureted engine, a fancy
analyzer is only going to waste your money and make you frustrated...

denny

Old September 30th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Guy Byars

If you are planning to use it to lean more agressively on a carburated
engine, then I agree, it will not work well for that. I put an EDM-700 on
my Skylane with an O-470R. I still find the best leaning procedure is to
lean until the engine is slightly rough, then richen it up 1/4 turn.

However, an analyizer is a great diagnostic tool. For example, if on runup
you notice one mag is slightly rough, a quick look at the analyzer help you
diagnose the problem. For example, if a single cylinder is not firing, the
analyzer will tell you EXACTLY which cylinder has the bad plug. Or if all
the cylinders are sick on one mag, then the analyizer will clearly show that
too. Also, earlier this year, I had a manifold leak, and saw that the
1-3-5 cylinders were a bit "off". So an inspection of that side of the
engine found a manifold leak.

Guy

ups.com...

Old September 30th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Gideon

Default Why a rough engine? (Was: cost to install engine analyzer (4 cyl)?)

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 18:58:12 +0000, Guy Byars wrote:

the engine is slightly rough

Which reminds me of a question I've been developing: what makes the engine
rough while leaning?

- Andrew

Old September 30th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"Guy Byars" wrote:

If you are planning to use it to lean more agressively on a carburated
engine, then I agree, it will not work well for that.

Depends on the engine.

I use my EDM-700 for leaning my O-360 every time I fly. While climbing, I
use to monitor CHT's so I can lean without overheating. In cruise, I've
used it to find the "sweet spots" where I can run LOP at various altitudes.

put an EDM-700 on my Skylane with an O-470R. I still find the best
leaning procedure is to lean until the engine is slightly rough, then
richen it up 1/4 turn.

Yes; O-470s are notorious for uneven mixture distribution.

However, an analyizer is a great diagnostic tool. For example, if on
runup you notice one mag is slightly rough, a quick look at the analyzer
help you diagnose the problem. For example, if a single cylinder is not
firing, the analyzer will tell you EXACTLY which cylinder has the bad
plug. Or if all the cylinders are sick on one mag, then the analyizer
will clearly show that too. Also, earlier this year, I had a manifold
leak, and saw that the 1-3-5 cylinders were a bit "off". So an inspection
of that side of the engine found a manifold leak.

Yep. I'd hate to do without it.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 30th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"Andrew Gideon" wrote:

the engine is slightly rough

Which reminds me of a question I've been developing: what makes the engine
rough while leaning?

One or more cylinders wiil get too lean before the others, causing uneven
power production.

Old October 1st 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Guy Byars

Yep. I'd hate to do without it.

I forgot to mention the alarm feature. When any cylinder head temp goes
above 400F, my JPI starts flashing a warning light. A very good thing to be
warned about... I can then take immediate corrective action... cowl flaps...
mixture... airspeed... whatever.

It also warns if any other parameters are out of spec. A great safety
feature!!!!

Old October 1st 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
houstondan

i fly behind an 0-300 (145 h.p.) continental so i guess that low power,
low compression is accurate but so is safe, steady, smooth and
dependable too. i like it. i don't have any great expectations of huge
operational benefits running l.o.p. but i would like to get the thing
to full t.b.o. and beyond. it's only got 350 hours now so i have the
opportunity to make a big difference in it's operational life. i
think that the main benefit will be in having confidence that i know
whats going on inside the thing and in learning how best to operate it.
given the joys of cessna fuel guages, the genefits of the gas totalizer
are obvious.

given all that, i'm still anxious to hear what denny was talking about
on getting frustrated etc. i'm here to learn.

dan

Old October 1st 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Peter wrote:

With a carb engine you may not be able to lean past peak EGT but that
doesn't matter; virtually the same fuel savings are achieved anywhere
near the peak point,

Sure it does. I've had a 182 and now a Bonanza. The 182 wouldn't run
LOP as that term is understood. The problem is that in order to run LOP
all cylinders must get to peak at the same time, or very nearly so. If
you can't accomplish that then LOP flying won't work in your engine,
fuel injected or carb'd. As for fuel savings the book flow for my 520
is 9.3 gph at 45%, I can run all day at about 7.5-7.8 That's a big
savings from the guy who can't go LOP in his aircraft.
Old October 1st 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Gideon

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:33:54 -0500, Dan Luke wrote:

One or more cylinders wiil get too lean before the others, causing uneven
power production.

So the rough running is called by cylinders generating different power
levels? Why can't that occur anywhere in the air/fuel mixture curve?

- Andrew

Old October 2nd 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Denny wrote:
On a low compression, low horsepower, carbureted engine, a fancy
analyzer is only going to waste your money and make you frustrated...

denny

I disagree. It'll pay for itself the first time your engine hiccups.
Mine paid for itself within the first 20 hours it was installed. I had
a situation (new engine) where the engine would get rough at the top of
the climb as soon as you pulled the throttle back. The engine monitor
showed that the #1 cylinder was going cold when that happened, which
pointed exactly where to look for the problem.

A year later, I had one cylinder that was suddenly getting lean too
quickly. The monitor told me exaclty where to look for an intake leak,
which was found within 10 minutes of pulling off the cowl.