iPaq and LX5000 connectivity question (hardware?)

Old April 22nd 04, 06:15 PM
Ted Wagner

Default iPaq and LX5000 connectivity question (hardware?)

I posted another version this question a few weeks ago so pardon me for
posting it again. I still don't have a clear understanding of how these
things are plugged together.

The previous owner of my glider installed an iPaq PocketPC mount for
receiving the NMEA stream from the glider's existing LX5000. He used
WinPilot; I'm using SeeYou Mobile. This part works fine, though sometimes I
have to reboot the iPaq before it will pick up the comm connection with the
flight computer.

After a flight, I have been attempting to use the FlyWithCE Downloader
program to transfer the flight/log file to the iPaq, to save me the headache
of dragging my bulky laptop into the cockpit and downloading it with LXe. I
start by rebooting the iPaq to make sure SeeYou or WinPilot are not still
running and sitting on the comm port. Then, with the iPaq back in the
cradle, I put the LX5000 into "transfer" mode (I believe it says
"CONNECTING"), and try to run Downloader, but they still do not connect.

I've verified the comm port number and settings at both ends, but still no
luck.

Is anyone else out there able to use Downloader with the PocketPC in its
mount, or are the panel connector, serial cable and null modem adapter the
only way I can do this? If the latter, does anyone know the part number or
description of the widget I need to buy for the null modem adapter to
connect to the iPaq, and is this an off-the-shelf item, or do I need to mail
order it from bellsandwhistles.com?

Advance thanks

-tw
H-304CZ/"2NO"

Old April 22nd 04, 09:29 PM
Robert Danewid

I think you have to use the serial cable and null modem adapter because
this is what Downloader requires. This works fine for me (and has done
so for more than 3 years).

Robert