Question for Urban...

Old August 10th 03, 11:06 PM
robert arndt

Default Question for Urban...

I requested a 3-way drawing from SAAB on the A.36 nuclear bomber and
you know what they sent me? Something that looks alot like a Draken.
The copy is dated 12 Juni 1956 and is labeled PROJEKT 135-C Fpl.36
Reg.No. FAA-99.080.
Urban, I am assuming that they sent me a 3-way copy of the original
#1376 and not the requested #1377 with dorsal air intake and refined
delta. Am I correct?
Also, was the #1377 proposal supposed to be the final design for the
A.36?

Rob

p.s. SAAB is a big disappointment. They did not bother to even furnish
any history or other details with the 3-way. I asked them about the
proposed nuclear bomb and the dimensions of the proposed bomb bay on
the A.36 but they refused to comment. They wouldn't even confirm
Bofors as the proposed manufacturer of the weapon.
Old August 11th 03, 05:21 AM
robert arndt

(ArtKramr) wrote in message ...
Subject: Question for Urban...
From:
(robert arndt)
#1376 and not the requested #1377 with dorsal air intake and refined
delta. Am I correct?
Also, was the #1377 proposal supposed to be the final design for the
A.36?

Rob

p.s. SAAB is a big disappointment. They did not bother to even furnish
any history or other details with the 3-way. I asked them about the
proposed nuclear bomb and the dimensions of the proposed bomb bay on
the A.36 but they refused to comment. They wouldn't even confirm
Bofors as the proposed manufacturer of the weapon.

Gee. I wonder why? (sheesh)

Arthur Kramer
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Art, I specifically asked them for the #1377 3-way and need the
dimesions of the bomb bay and weapon for the scale model I am paying
for. Their scale of the proposed #1376 and its configuration do not
help me at all.
As for the nuke info... it isn't anything special since it is known
information. SAAB had to have some idea of the free fall bomb's
dimensions for the appropriate bomb bay and YES, it is known that
Bofors would have assembled the weapon had the decision been made to
construct the Surte.
My display model will have the aircraft dropping the bomb therefore I
need the right aircraft, proper dimensions, color scheme, unit number,
tail number, basic bomb design, and approx. bomb bay dimensions.
The historical administrator at SAAB promised to help out. All they
furnished me was a worthless 3-way of the wrong model A.36 and no
information at all. I might as well just tell the model maker to copy
a Draken and use a British free-fall nuke as a guideline for the
Surte.
I'm paying $400 for this model, so it DOES **** me off. SAAB sucks...
I've waited months for this garbage.

Rob
Old August 11th 03, 05:39 PM
OXMORON1

Rob noted his disgust with SAAB in stating:
I'm paying $400 for this model, so it DOES **** me off. SAAB sucks...
I've waited months for this garbage

Point one, Did this proposal ever make it off the proposal table? The nuke
portion was probably classified and still is. "Proper drawings" were probably
never even made.

Point two, SAAB is no different than most military contractors, unless you are
"someone" who "might" throw work their way, they don't care "who" you are. The
auto group doesn't talk to the military group or vice versa, so it doesn't
bother the military side if you don't buy a new sedan.

Most military manufacturers only provide detailede info to people who will do
them some good.
Most military proposals in the past never get off the paper sketch stage.
Most military aircraft scale plans don't exist except for advertising purposes
or when prepared by some enthusiast (with various degrees of quality and
accuracy).

The short answer is that unless you are General Muckity Muck of the procurement
division of the Royal Herpes AF, don't expect too mucha and you will not be
disapointed.

Your $400.00 model is not worth their effort and brings them no real business.

Rick Clark
P.S. The best general arrangement drawings are those used by the paint and
marking shop.
Old August 12th 03, 05:29 AM
Per Andersson

OXMORON1 wrote:
Rob noted his disgust with SAAB in stating:

I'm paying $400 for this model, so it DOES **** me off. SAAB sucks...
I've waited months for this garbage

Point one, Did this proposal ever make it off the proposal table? The nuke
portion was probably classified and still is. "Proper drawings" were probably
never even made.

As I have some insight in these matters I dare to say that
no drawing ever existed for the actual weapon. The size
and weight for the physical package was known but the
project never got beyond that stage. Bofors was never
officially contracted to manufacture any weapon but they
were the only natural choice.

/Per

Old August 12th 03, 01:18 PM
robert arndt

Per Andersson wrote in message ...
OXMORON1 wrote:
Rob noted his disgust with SAAB in stating:

I'm paying $400 for this model, so it DOES **** me off. SAAB sucks...
I've waited months for this garbage

Point one, Did this proposal ever make it off the proposal table? The nuke
portion was probably classified and still is. "Proper drawings" were probably
never even made.

As I have some insight in these matters I dare to say that
no drawing ever existed for the actual weapon. The size
and weight for the physical package was known but the
project never got beyond that stage. Bofors was never
officially contracted to manufacture any weapon but they
were the only natural choice.

/Per

I guess your insight is rather poor considering the fact that the
proposed nuclear bomb had a name- Surte (Norse Fire Demon/God)- and
that preliminary drawings of the weapon do exist according to an
ex-engineer from Bofors. The Swedish Govt. also continued to
investigate various designs for nuclear weapons long after Sweden
"officially" vowed not to possess such a weapon.
Second, after my first inquiry to SAAB my request was immediately
forwarded to the historical administrator there with promises to
provide all the requested information- which DID include the
dimensions of the A.36 bomb bay. The subsequent request for info on
the Surte/Bofors connection was declined... so it seems that issue is
probably still classified.
However, when I first posted about the A.36 months ago at RAM I
recieved an e-mail from an ex-engineer from Bofors that gave me the
name of the proposed weapon and was informed that Bofors would have
definately assembled the first weapon which was at that time very
similar to the British free-fall nukes in basic configuration.
So, I guess I will just use that as a guideline for the model maker
and have him customize the color of the weapon (black w/ red flames)
with the name Surte on it.
Anyway, I am highly disappointed that SAAB did not honor their promise
and provide the history of the project, proposed color schemes, proper
configuration of the second A.36 proposal, and correct dimensions for
the bomb bay of that aircraft. It IS important for historical detail.

Rob

p.s. You are also wrong about the size and weight of the weapon. Surte
refers to the heavier larger yield weapon, not the lighter smaller
yield one. So there were at least two original designs, not one. Also,
there is no bomb bay shown on the original 3-way of the #1376. But
there is a detailed one on the #1377, the aircraft with the revised
dorsal air intake and refined delta wing/tail. This leads me to
believe the #1377 is the final design for the A.36 and that some idea
of the dimensions of the Surte were known when that design was made.

p.s.s. Care to comment?
Old August 13th 03, 05:26 AM
Per Andersson

OXMORON1 wrote:

Rob noted his disgust with SAAB in stating:

I'm paying $400 for this model, so it DOES **** me off. SAAB sucks...
I've waited months for this garbage

Point one, Did this proposal ever make it off the proposal table? The nuke
portion was probably classified and still is. "Proper drawings" were probably
never even made.

As I have some insight in these matters I dare to say that
no drawing ever existed for the actual weapon. The size
and weight for the physical package was known but the
project never got beyond that stage. Bofors was never
officially contracted to manufacture any weapon but they
were the only natural choice.

/Per

I guess your insight is rather poor considering the fact that the
proposed nuclear bomb had a name- Surte

p.s.s. Care to comment?

Have a look at my reply address. @foi.se (Swedish Defence Research
Agency) formerly known as FOA. Does it ring a bell? If you still
have any doubts please email me.

/Per

Old August 13th 03, 07:50 AM
Per Andersson

OXMORON1 wrote:

[...]

The government didn't, but the defence research agency did.

SNIP!

And you *know* that or have you just read it in Ny Teknik?
A few Ph.D. students were allowed to finish there work related
to basic material science and nuclear physics. All work
directly related to the bomb project ended even before the
official decision made by the government. There are a lot
of people who "know" this and that about the bomb project
and there are others who know!

/Per
Swedish Defence Research Agency

GPT (Gulfport MS) ILS 14 question A Lieberman Instrument Flight Rules 18 January 30th 05 04:51 PM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 01:51 AM