A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

LXnav software with OS X / Wine

Old January 28th 18, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default LXnav software with OS X / Wine

Hi all,

The windows box I used for these things has ceased to be.

It was surprisingly easy to get "LXSim" working using WINE and the wonderful http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

But the other one I need, "LXStyler" doesn't quite work. It starts, but selecting a configuration and then any page pops up an empty windows "Critical Error" box and it's locked up.

I suspect there's some magic DLL(s) or other trick I need beyond the default install. Anyone done this?
Old January 28th 18, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner
external usenet poster

Probably not exactly the answer you're looking for, and would be interested in hearing others experiences, but Parallels Desktop has been flawless for me across a number of Windows applications. Retails for around $70.

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 10:05:56 AM UTC-5, Sarah wrote:
Hi all,

It was surprisingly easy to get "LXSim" working using WINE and the wonderful http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

But the other one I need, "LXStyler" doesn't quite work. It starts, but selecting a configuration and then any page pops up an empty windows "Critical Error" box and it's locked up.

I suspect there's some magic DLL(s) or other trick I need beyond the default install. Anyone done this?

Old January 28th 18, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 7:23:02 AM UTC-8, Kevin Christner wrote:
Probably not exactly the answer you're looking for, and would be interested in hearing others experiences, but Parallels Desktop has been flawless for me across a number of Windows applications. Retails for around $70.

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 10:05:56 AM UTC-5, Sarah wrote:
Hi all,

Either Parallels or VMWare Fusion will very likely run it perfectly. I've yet to find a Windows program that does not run.
Old January 28th 18, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wilson[_2_]
external usenet poster

At 16:28 28 January 2018, jfitch wrote:
On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 7:23:02 AM UTC-8, Kevin

Christner wrote:
Probably not exactly the answer you're looking for, and would be

interested in hearing others experiences, but Parallels Desktop has

been
flawless for me across a number of Windows applications. Retails

for
around $70.

I run it under parallels and it works fine

Old January 28th 18, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

VMware Fusion and a full copy of whatever Windows version you want/need.

All the LXNav and SeeYou software runs under Windows 10 on the latest VMware Fusion on the latest macOS releases and has for years.

That VMware stuff is just the most amazing, wonderful, fantastic, software. And I'm totally unbiased.

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 7:05:56 AM UTC-8, Sarah wrote:
Hi all,

Old January 28th 18, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
marco
external usenet poster

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 9:39:15 PM UTC+1, Darryl Ramm wrote:
VMware Fusion and a full copy of whatever Windows version you want/need.

All the LXNav and SeeYou software runs under Windows 10 on the latest VMware Fusion on the latest macOS releases and has for years.

That VMware stuff is just the most amazing, wonderful, fantastic, software. And I'm totally unbiased.

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 7:05:56 AM UTC-8, Sarah wrote:
Hi all,

I used: https://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
Slightly more work but it is also easy to follow.
Parallels is wine, in a commercial way.
I do not run an LX program but use this for SeeYou. Runs OK.
Old January 28th 18, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Parallels and VMware Fusion are *not* Wine in a commercial or any other real way.

Parallels and Fusion are virtual machine monitors, they let multiple operating systems run on the computer hardware. Wine is a Windows operating system emulator (regardless of if the name tries to say otherwise). Wine has the benefit of not needing a Windows operating system, at the disadvantage of lots more compatibility issues, and well for some things you really want Windows, warts and all.
Old January 28th 18, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah[_2_]
external usenet poster

Thanks all, I'm aware of Parallels & VMware. I asked about Wine for a reason - I'm cheap. My need for windows is sporadic (Once a season toying with LXStyler, maybe a spring refresher with LXSim). I don't want to buy a subscription based program, like Parallels, and the associated Windows OS. Do you need to buy a copy of WIndows for VMware? It wasn't obvious on their website.

Encouraged by my luck with LXSim, I tried LXStyler. It's close - as I said, I think I've just not got the right libraries. I read on the LXnav site Styler requires .NET 2.0 ... and as I recall there was a VB dependency as well.

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 3:23:53 PM UTC-6, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Parallels and VMware Fusion are *not* Wine in a commercial or any other real way.

Parallels and Fusion are virtual machine monitors, they let multiple operating systems run on the computer hardware. Wine is a Windows operating system emulator (regardless of if the name tries to say otherwise). Wine has the benefit of not needing a Windows operating system, at the disadvantage of lots more compatibility issues, and well for some things you really want Windows, warts and all.

Old January 28th 18, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 1:55:54 PM UTC-8, Sarah wrote:
Thanks all, I'm aware of Parallels & VMware. I asked about Wine for a reason - I'm cheap. My need for windows is sporadic (Once a season toying with LXStyler, maybe a spring refresher with LXSim). I don't want to buy a subscription based program, like Parallels, and the associated Windows OS. Do you need to buy a copy of WIndows for VMware? It wasn't obvious on their website.

Yes you need a copy of Windows to run in VMware Fusion, just the same as with Parallels. Didn't a handsome clever person just say they are both virtual machine monitors :-)

Unless you know for sure stuff runs with Wine and you are unlikely to have more need then it can be a false economy. I'd love to burn Windows but there are a half dozen or so apps (esp. Naviter SeeYou and Condor) that I just have to have and want them with me on my MacBook Pro, and then always some other new app to want to try out.
Old January 28th 18, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 1:55:54 PM UTC-8, Sarah wrote:

Encouraged by my luck with LXSim, I tried LXStyler. It's close - as I said, I think I've just not got the right libraries. I read on the LXnav site Styler requires .NET 2.0 ... and as I recall there was a VB dependency as well.

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 3:23:53 PM UTC-6, Darryl Ramm wrote:

Once you have VMWare or Parallels (and Darryl may not be quite as unbiased as he says...) there is a trick to running Windows without a license. Microsoft on their developer website maintains Virtual Machine disks for many different versions of Windows for VMWare and Parallels. You can download these for free, they work for 30 days and then time out. Their intended use is to test IE, but I have in the past used them for testing other things.