Altimeter setting

Old January 26th 12, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_12_]

Default Altimeter setting

As a glider pilot, when are you allowed to use a zero altimeter
setting?

Back in July, I asked the FAA for a legal opinion regarding FAR
91.121. Yesterday, I finally received a response.

There is reason for a continued dialog, and I am continuing the
discussion with the FAA legal department.

This Saturday, immediately prior to the third Glider Safety Webinar,I
will provide subscribers to the webinar the exact wording of the FAA
response.

To join us in this discussion, please sign up for the third webinar on
our web site: www.eglider.org

Tom Knauff
Old January 26th 12, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Jan 26, 6:33*am, Tom wrote:
As a glider pilot, when are you allowed to use a zero altimeter
setting?

Back in July, I asked the FAA for a legal opinion regarding FAR
91.121. Yesterday, I finally received a response.

There is reason for a continued dialog, and I am continuing the
discussion with the FAA legal department.

This Saturday, immediately prior to the third Glider Safety Webinar,I
will provide subscribers to the webinar the exact wording of the FAA
response.

To join us in this discussion, please sign up for the third webinar on
our web site:www.eglider.org

Tom Knauff

91.121 is pretty clear that the only time an altimeter should be set
to zero is if you are taking off from sea level
Old January 26th 12, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Jan 26, 7:33*am, Tom wrote:
As a glider pilot, when are you allowed to use a zero altimeter
setting?

Back in July, I asked the FAA for a legal opinion regarding FAR
91.121. Yesterday, I finally received a response.

There is reason for a continued dialog, and I am continuing the
discussion with the FAA legal department.

This Saturday, immediately prior to the third Glider Safety Webinar,I
will provide subscribers to the webinar the exact wording of the FAA
response.

To join us in this discussion, please sign up for the third webinar on
our web site:www.eglider.org

Tom Knauff

Why not just post the FAA response here?
Old January 26th 12, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jim wynhoff

On Jan 26, 7:37*am, Tony wrote:
On Jan 26, 6:33*am, Tom wrote:

As a glider pilot, when are you allowed to use a zero altimeter
setting?

Back in July, I asked the FAA for a legal opinion regarding FAR
91.121. Yesterday, I finally received a response.

There is reason for a continued dialog, and I am continuing the
discussion with the FAA legal department.

This Saturday, immediately prior to the third Glider Safety Webinar,I
will provide subscribers to the webinar the exact wording of the FAA
response.

To join us in this discussion, please sign up for the third webinar on
our web site:www.eglider.org

Tom Knauff

91.121 is pretty clear that the only time an altimeter should be set
to zero is if you are taking off from sea level- Hide quoted text -

The only reason I even opened this was because I couldn't believe it
was being re-addressed.....again. It's a non-issue for me, because:
1) The club instructors teach altimeter setting as it is presented in
the FARs, and 2) I've never seen an altimeter that could be adjusted
the nearly three thousand feet it would take to reach zero.

Old January 26th 12, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Jan 26, 10:37*am, Mike Schumann wrote:
On Jan 26, 7:33*am, Tom wrote:

As a glider pilot, when are you allowed to use a zero altimeter
setting?

Back in July, I asked the FAA for a legal opinion regarding FAR
91.121. Yesterday, I finally received a response.

There is reason for a continued dialog, and I am continuing the
discussion with the FAA legal department.

This Saturday, immediately prior to the third Glider Safety Webinar,I
will provide subscribers to the webinar the exact wording of the FAA
response.

To join us in this discussion, please sign up for the third webinar on
our web site:www.eglider.org

Tom Knauff

Why not just post the FAA response here?

Because then you would have no reason to attend the webinar!
Old January 26th 12, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_12_]

As stated in the original message, I am still resolving issues with
FAA legal.
Caustic remarks aside, this is an issue with many pilots, and the
issue is more than the words used in the current regulation.

Tom Knauff

Old January 27th 12, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Jan 26, 5:10*pm, Tom wrote:
As stated in the original message, I am still resolving issues with
FAA legal.
Caustic remarks aside, this is an issue with many pilots, and the
issue is more than the words used in the current regulation.

Tom Knauff

So once again, why not let us in on the response you have received
from the FAA?
Old January 27th 12, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Jan 26, 2:10*pm, Tom wrote:
As stated in the original message, I am still resolving issues with
FAA legal.
Caustic remarks aside, this is an issue with many pilots, and the
issue is more than the words used in the current regulation.

Tom Knauff

What issue is there to resolve?
Unless they contradicted 91.121(a)(1)(III)

In the west, you cannot roll the altimeter down to zero, the knob does
not adjust that far.
And if you depart from an airfield at 1200MSL, and roll the altimeter
to zero, you have to remember that you are reading 1200ft low, and
when you climb through 16,800 as read on the altimeter, you just
busted Class A !

We are under a Class B shelf, roll the altimeter down to zero, how do
you know where your citing is as you climb under the shelf? BUSTED!

Old January 27th 12, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

So once again, why not let us in on the response you have received
from the FAA?

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...012/Knauff.pdf

WestJet B-737 With The Sun Setting Canuck[_10_] Aviation Photos 0 September 4th 10 05:07 PM
Altimeter Setting Rolf Soaring 82 August 11th 10 06:15 PM
WTB: used 57mm Altimeter OR swap for 80mm Altimeter joesimmers Soaring 0 November 3rd 09 11:59 AM
Altimeter setting != Sea Level Pressure - Why? JT Wright Piloting 5 April 5th 04 01:04 AM
Setting QNH BTIZ Piloting 31 March 12th 04 04:29 PM