THIS is the cockpit display tech we need

Old November 16th 11, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Thompson

Default THIS is the cockpit display tech we need

On Nov 16, 11:44*am, Bill D wrote:
On Nov 15, 6:17*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:

On Nov 15, 3:57*pm, JohnDeRosa wrote:

On Nov 15, 10:54*am, Bill D wrote:

Qualcom's Mirasol display looks like a magazine cover in direct sunlight.

And at 1/10th the power requirements. *Important for gliders but this
will also really impact battery life for everything from laptops,
tablets to cell phones.

I hate to break it to you guys, but there is a gorgeous sunlight
readable display on the market, the clear-nav. SN10 is pretty easy to
read too, but offers less stuff on the screen, which Dave might argue
is an advantage. No need to wait...
John Cochrane

Don't think so.

Current engineering specs say 1500 nits brightness is required for
'good' readability in direct sunlight. *CCFL's backlights delivering
that brightness would pull amps, not mili-amps. *LED backlights are
better but current draw and heating are still problems. *If you did
somehow create a screen with 1500 nits brightness, it would be like
looking into a car headlight.

I can't find the specs, but I'm guessing the best glider displays are
in the 500 - 1000 nit brightness range and pull around .8 amps.

Far easier on the eyes and battery would be a high-contrast, high
color saturation REFLECTIVE display like the Mirasol technology.

I have no experience with competing displays so can't speak for them,
but have flown ClearNav for three seasons and it is as "sunlight-
readable" as it needs to be.
No problem viewing it on bright days while wearing sunglasses. My
problem is fine print in any light condition so I keep glasses handy
for that, but if you set it up correctly before flight there is little
need to read fine print. No need to flip through multiple pages,
either. Control inputs are through a simple controller that you don't
have to look at to use - particularly if it's mounted on the stick.
Power management is built into the system so that isn't a problem.
Old November 16th 11, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Nov 16, 3:24*am, Max Kellermann wrote:
Ramy wrote:
The Dell Streak 5 is only $200-$400 and has a great sun readable
display.

$150

*http://www.streaksmart.com/2011/11/c...ocked-dell-str....
*http://www.cowboom.com/product/753676

Unfortunately sold out, but once there's another cheap offer, get one
quickly while you can!

The Dell Streak Mini is still the best cockpit device you can get
currently. *It takes advantage of the sunlight (transflective screen)
instead of trying to beat the sun.

Max

There might be better choice out the
http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-gal...view-02192592/

the Samsung Galaxy Player with 5" TFT display, GPS and Wi-Fi for
around $250 is a really good find. It also has reasonable power
consumption and 2.5 AH battery. It also has a newer Android version
than the Dell.
Old November 17th 11, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Nov 15, 10:54*am, Bill D wrote:

[...]

Bill,

I am not sure where you got your engineering specifications. But I
have found that display brightness in an aircraft quality display has
little to do with sunlight readability. The key factors are the
coatings and the contrast ratio. The Ultimate Le has two specialized
coatings and an extremely high contrast ratio, it is as readable in
the sun at the low backlight settings as in the high backlight. The
sun has no noticable effect on the Ultimate Le display. The Ultimate
Le with LED backlight has no heat problems. In fact the first
Ultimates with a CFFL backlight got warm but did not have any issues.

Displays with low contrast ratios need unusaully high backlight to be
seen. This is typical of most low cost low qualtiy displays.

The Ultimate Le at full backlight has 1400 nits and draws about .7
to .8 Amps. At lower backlight settings of .3 to .4 amps the
display is very sunlight viewable with vibrant colors.

All the above information comes from testing in direct sunlight from a
varitey of angles and first hand experience in flight.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 17th 11, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morteza Ansari

Ramy wrote:
The Dell Streak 5 is only $200-$400 and has a great sun readable
display.

$150

*http://www.streaksmart.com/2011/11/c...ocked-dell-str...
*http://www.cowboom.com/product/753676

Unfortunately sold out, but once there's another cheap offer, get one
quickly while you can!

The Dell Streak Mini is still the best cockpit device you can get
currently. *It takes advantage of the sunlight (transflective screen)
instead of trying to beat the sun.

Max

There might be better choice out thehttp://www.slashgear.com/samsung-gal...view-02192592/

the Samsung Galaxy Player with 5" TFT display, GPS and Wi-Fi for
around $250 is a really good find. It also has reasonable power
consumption and 2.5 AH battery. It also has a newer Android version
than the Dell.

I have actually been looking at this too. Does anyone have any hands
on experience with this device? It looks like a really good option
looking at the specs at a very reasonable price.
Old November 17th 11, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Ramy wrote:
[...]

My daughter just bought this device. I am waiting for a sunny day in
the North-East to test it. Tomorrow looks like the day. I will report
back.
Old November 17th 11, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:15:33 AM UTC-5, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
...I am waiting for a sunny day in the North-East to test it.

Which is like twilight in Texas or predawn in Oz...

Old November 17th 11, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NG[_2_]

I'm sure the display technology will continue to improve
dramatically. I am most frustrated by the (lack of) input options on
touch-screens. My Oudie and Android platforms are almost useless in
temperature extremes (below freezing or above 100F), do not respond to
touch inputs reliably, even though I can read the screens easily. The
challenge is to find a platform with a decent display, configurable
mechanical inputs, and soaring software to take advantage of them,
without breaking the bank. I'm not sure that's the direction
commercially-driven development is going.
Old November 17th 11, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Nov 17, 5:10*pm, NG wrote:
I'm sure the display technology will continue to improve
dramatically. *I am most frustrated by the (lack of) input options on
touch-screens. *My Oudie and Android platforms are almost useless in
temperature extremes (below freezing or above 100F), do not respond to
touch inputs reliably, even though I can read the screens easily. *The
challenge is to find a platform with a decent display, configurable
mechanical inputs, and soaring software to take advantage of them,
without breaking the bank. *I'm not sure that's the direction
commercially-driven development is going.

I have seen a working input device with a phone. Google this topic and
you will find people already doing this.
Old November 17th 11, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Nov 17, 3:28*pm, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Nov 17, 5:10*pm, NG wrote:

I'm sure the display technology will continue to improve
dramatically. *I am most frustrated by the (lack of) input options on
touch-screens. *My Oudie and Android platforms are almost useless in
temperature extremes (below freezing or above 100F), do not respond to
touch inputs reliably, even though I can read the screens easily. *The
challenge is to find a platform with a decent display, configurable
mechanical inputs, and soaring software to take advantage of them,
without breaking the bank. *I'm not sure that's the direction
commercially-driven development is going.

I have seen a working input device with a phone. Google this topic and
you will find people already doing this.

Small touch screens of any type do not work well in our turbulent
thermals in Arizona. I have had reasonable success with the Oudie,
which also has reasonable readability in our bright sun.

Mike

Old November 17th 11, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Nov 17, 4:10*pm, NG wrote:
I'm sure the display technology will continue to improve
dramatically. *I am most frustrated by the (lack of) input options on
touch-screens. *My Oudie and Android platforms are almost useless in
temperature extremes (below freezing or above 100F), do not respond to
touch inputs reliably, even though I can read the screens easily. *The
challenge is to find a platform with a decent display, configurable
mechanical inputs, and soaring software to take advantage of them,
without breaking the bank. *I'm not sure that's the direction
commercially-driven development is going.

what problems does your Oudie have over 100? Most of the soaring days
this year that I used my Oudie were over 100 and i had no issues other
than operator issues with it.