THIS is the cockpit display tech we need

Old November 17th 11, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Brown[_2_]

Default THIS is the cockpit display tech we need

Best set up i've ever used is the SeeYou Oudie linked to an LNAV, can not
beat it, Fairly cheap and does the same job as an LX9000! It is so easy to
use, 5mins is enough for the average person!

Old November 18th 11, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Nov 17, 2:10*pm, NG wrote:
I'm sure the display technology will continue to improve
dramatically. *I am most frustrated by the (lack of) input options on
touch-screens. *My Oudie and Android platforms are almost useless in
temperature extremes (below freezing or above 100F), do not respond to
touch inputs reliably, even though I can read the screens easily. *The
challenge is to find a platform with a decent display, configurable
mechanical inputs, and soaring software to take advantage of them,
without breaking the bank. *I'm not sure that's the direction
commercially-driven development is going.

Perhaps it is breaking the bank, but the LX minimap with a stick
controller eliminates most touch screen interactions and is plenty
bright enough for me.
Old November 18th 11, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rodger R[_2_]

On Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:18:40 PM UTC-8, Daniel Brown wrote:
Best set up i've ever used is the SeeYou Oudie linked to an LNAV, can not
beat it, Fairly cheap and does the same job as an LX9000! It is so easy to
use, 5mins is enough for the average person!

Does the Oudie set the current destination into the LNAV ?
Is the Oudie using any winds or TAS info from the LNAV ?

Old November 18th 11, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Brown[_2_]

At 16:43 18 November 2011, Rodger R wrote:
On Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:18:40 PM UTC-8, Daniel Brown wrote:
Best set up i've ever used is the SeeYou Oudie linked to an LNAV, can

not
beat it, Fairly cheap and does the same job as an LX9000! It is so easy

use, 5mins is enough for the average person!

Does the Oudie set the current destination into the LNAV ?
Is the Oudie using any winds or TAS info from the LNAV ?

Hi,

Yes the Oudie sets the current destination and all other related
information.

The Oudie has its own wind information which i find better than the LNAV

Old November 18th 11, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Roger,

Good Questions.

The Oudie can be setup to send GPS and destination distance information to
the L-NAV.

I don't think the Oudie uses the Wind or TAS data from the L-NAV.

You can see details on how to configure the Oudie to sent out GPS data he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/godda...Oudie-LNav-0p3

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old November 18th 11, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Nov 16, 4:51*pm, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Nov 16, 3:24*am, Max Kellermann wrote:

Ramy wrote:
The Dell Streak 5 is only $200-$400 and has a great sun readable
display.

$150

*http://www.streaksmart.com/2011/11/c...ocked-dell-str...
*http://www.cowboom.com/product/753676

Unfortunately sold out, but once there's another cheap offer, get one
quickly while you can!

The Dell Streak Mini is still the best cockpit device you can get
currently. *It takes advantage of the sunlight (transflective screen)
instead of trying to beat the sun.

Max

There might be better choice out thehttp://www.slashgear.com/samsung-gal...view-02192592/

the Samsung Galaxy Player with 5" TFT display, GPS and Wi-Fi for
around $250 is a really good find. It also has reasonable power
consumption and 2.5 AH battery. It also has a newer Android version
than the Dell.

I was able to test this device in direct sunlight today. Although it
is not as good as my ClearNav it is truly excellent. I was at work
today and was not able to take picture but for some unknown reason
tomorrow we might have another sunny day in the north east and I will
take pictures. I will be replacing my HP310 with this device.
Old December 3rd 11, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

Default Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 as potential cockpit Nav

On Nov 16, 4:51*pm, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

There might be better choice out thehttp://www.slashgear.com/samsung-gal...view-02192592/

the Samsung Galaxy Player with 5" TFT display, GPS and Wi-Fi for
around $250 is a really good find. It also has reasonable power
consumption and 2.5 AH battery. It also has a newer Android version
than the Dell.

I bought one of these for someone on my Christmas list and set it up.
Naturally, part of my incoming QC inspection was loading XCSoar :-).

Cliff notes version: It's probably useful in the cockpit, especially
as an all-in-one device, but it comes with several caveats. It isn't
going to compete with high end panel mount displays.

The display is a TFT display of very adequate if not eye popping
resolution. It is a transmissive display. It is quite excellent
indoors. At maximum brightness outdoors on a sunny day, its
readability is barely adequate. Side by side with my ipaq 3950, it's
overall pretty equal or perhaps slightly inferior. It has better
readability if you are looking towards the sun due to a brighter
backlight, it has effectively zero readability when the sun is over
your shoulder and shining on the display. This is the angle at which
the readability of the 3950 (with transflective display) is best,
excellent actually. At other random orientations, they are pretty
even, which is to say rather mediocre. You'll want terrain
visualization turned off. I haven't flown with the Galaxy and
probably won't bother because it doesn't offer any really compelling
reason to replace my ipaq (which has the tools to manage my 302, not
yet available on Android).

There are other issues: While running XCSoar, there's no display power
management. It stays at whatever brightness has been set. This may
be a non issue -- the internal battery will run the device at full
brightness and internal GPS for many hours, so probably the thing to
do is run it on internal power. Might be an issue on really long
flights. Also note that the battery takes several hours to charge to
full capacity.

There are other annoyances. If you d/l a turnpoint database from the
internet directly to the device, the operating system appends its own
extensions and it has no easy way to edit this. I d/l'ed a *.cup file
and this was saved as *.cup.htm. I tried a *.dat file and this was
saved as *.dat.txt. Neither, of course, is useful until renamed and a
quick search of both the software on the device and Android market
turned up nothing in the way of an editor or file manager that could
address this (when changing the file name under Android, the
extensions were not visible and not editable) so I had to plug into my
laptop and pull files across. Even after doing this, attempt to use
the terrain generator website failed as the OS won't let you access
your turnpoint database files for upload. Probably, this means you
can't upload OLC flights, either. I'm sure that can be addressed with
an appropriate piece of application software that probably already
exists, it just wasn't obvious where to get it.

Bottom line: it's just the right size, has excellent internal battery
capacity, internal GPS, USB connectivity and a micro SD card slot.
All these things make it an interesting all-in-one nav and flight
recording device suitable for backup or (especially) for club pilots
seeking a portable solution. But don't expect a really good cockpit
display.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old December 3rd 11, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Dec 3, 11:13*am, T8 wrote:
[...]

Here are a couple of pictures I took in the direct sun. They were
taken at the same time. Notice the only difference is the angle of the
device from a vertical plane. If I keep this device in my hand
perpendicular to the ground I can rotate 360 degrees around my body's
axis and have very good readability of the screen at all times. This
is also how my ClearNav is mounted. You draw your own conclusions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71347915@N06/
Old December 3rd 11, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Dec 3, 11:13*am, T8 wrote:
[...]

Here are a couple of pictures I took in direct sun light. They were

Old December 3rd 11, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Nov 16, 10:11*pm, Morteza Ansari wrote:

I have actually been looking at this too. Does anyone have any hands
on experience with this device? *It looks like a really good option
looking at the specs at a very reasonable price.

If any one has first hand reports please comment not only on the
display, but also on whether the GPS can keep up with a thermalling
glider. Question is based on poor experience with HP310 which is
incapable of producing a GPS position suitable for deriving a circling
wind estimate.

thanks,

Andy