RV-friendly glider destinations?

Old April 12th 21, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Scharf

Default RV-friendly glider destinations?

My wife has talked me into purchasing a travel trailer with her.

At least two of the glider operations I've been to (BRSS in New Castle Virginia and Seminole Lake in Florida) appeared to have RV-friendly camping areas.

I'm wondering how many other glider operations around the US are RV-friendly?

I would love to add some soaring (or at least visiting active glider operations) to our family adventure plans.

Thanks,
-Luke

Old April 12th 21, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Franconia NH has a nice campground (Fransted Family Campground) within an easy bicycle distance - and it's a beautiful place to visit.
ROY
Old April 12th 21, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 1:01:45 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
Franconia NH has a nice campground (Fransted Family Campground) within an easy bicycle distance - and it's a beautiful place to visit.
ROY

Salida, CO was good but tows may no longer be available there. Keystone (Tom & Doris) is well worth considering but I don't know about hookups &c. Air Sailing is AWESOME!
Old April 12th 21, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Luke Scharf wrote on 4/12/2021 9:31 AM:
My wife has talked me into purchasing a travel trailer with her.

At least two of the glider operations I've been to (BRSS in New Castle Virginia and Seminole Lake in Florida) appeared to have RV-friendly camping areas.

I'm wondering how many other glider operations around the US are RV-friendly?

I would love to add some soaring (or at least visiting active glider operations) to our family adventure plans.

Thanks,
-Luke

Mountain Valley airport at Tehachapi has an RV park and a very active soaring operation. Been
there, done both, very nice.

Old April 12th 21, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

We found a very nice RV park in the mountains a few miles east of Nephi,
UT. Also in the town of Minden, NV.

Dan
5J

Old April 12th 21, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 4/12/21 11:07 AM, Tony wrote:
On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 1:01:45 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
Franconia NH has a nice campground (Fransted Family Campground) within an easy bicycle distance - and it's a beautiful place to visit.
ROY

Salida, CO was good but tows may no longer be available there. Keystone (Tom & Doris) is well worth considering but I don't know about hookups &c. Air Sailing is AWESOME!

No regular tows at Salida. Manager will let you park on the airport,
but no services.
Old April 13th 21, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 11:31:12 AM UTC-5, Luke Scharf wrote:
My wife has talked me into purchasing a travel trailer with her
At least two of the glider operations I've been to (BRSS in New Castle Virginia and Seminole Lake in Florida) appeared to have RV-friendly camping areas.

I'm wondering how many other glider operations around the US are RV-friendly?

I would love to add some soaring (or at least visiting active glider operations) to our family adventure plans.

Thanks,
-Luke

Good luck with RV'ing. People have flocked to RV'ing during the pandemic with the result that it's difficult to find RV spaces near any attraction. Parks are booked for months. Many state and private run parks are full of full-timers. Not sure how they get around the residence limits, but I see a lot of travel trailers in parks with permanent underpinning, carports, and outbuildings. Get yourself set up so you can get by without shore power, water, and sewer hookups. At least then you can dry camp on the gliderport and some BLM and Forest Service lands.
Old April 13th 21, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 9:52:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

The Caesar Creek Soaring Club in OH has a very family-friendly camp-ground for RVs and tents plus the bathroom/shower facilities one needs for a two week stay. I always enjoyed going there.

Uli
'AS'