Headsets ?

Old March 19th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Headsets ?

Hi Guys..

Okay Im looking into buying a new headset now ive gone commercial.. Was
looking at standard sets but have been advised by many save up a little
more and get an ANR set (thanks guys

Just a question regarding pricing of these sets. I require a set for use
in helicopters but why is it, heli sets are more expensive than the GA ?

The only difference I can tell is the plug setup! That being said,
shouldnt the chopper sets actually be cheaper considering they only have
the one NATO plug??

Are there any other differences ??

Thanks guys,

Jad
Old March 19th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

Prices are set by the market size, since fewer helicopter
sets are sold, they cost more.

Paper clips are cheap only because they are made and sold by
the billions. Aircraft parts cost a lot because they are
very low volume production and they are tracked closely in
case there are service recalls. Aircraft headsets are low
volume items.

Also, some nations have import duties that raise the price.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old March 19th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

jad wrote:
Hi Guys..

Okay Im looking into buying a new headset now ive gone commercial.. Was
looking at standard sets but have been advised by many save up a little
more and get an ANR set (thanks guys

Just a question regarding pricing of these sets. I require a set for use
in helicopters but why is it, heli sets are more expensive than the GA ?

The only difference I can tell is the plug setup! That being said,
shouldnt the chopper sets actually be cheaper considering they only have
the one NATO plug??

Are there any other differences ??

Thanks guys,

Jad

http://davidclark.com/HeadsetPgs/h10-56hxl.htm
or
http://davidclark.com/HeadsetPgs/h10-60.htm
available in severral configurations

Only way to go.....
Michellle
Old March 19th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

I've got Dave Clarks and have an adaptor plug ($40) so I can use them
for either fixed or rotor (which I do on a daily basis).
Get the best you can afford. I've still got a Plantronics set with
custom earpieces that I've had at least 30 years now. My gear will
outlast me.
Ol Shy & Bashful

Old March 19th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Okay Im looking into buying a new headset now ive gone commercial.. Was
looking at standard sets but have been advised by many save up a little
more and get an ANR set (thanks guys

Some people strongly reject anr because you cannot listen to the
aircraft as good as without anr.

Just a question regarding pricing of these sets. I require a set for use
in helicopters but why is it, heli sets are more expensive than the GA ?

helipilots are much richer ;-)

shouldnt the chopper sets actually be cheaper considering they only have
the one NATO plug??

Are there any other differences ??

Heliplugs have only 4 contacts therefore only mono sound is possible.
GA-Headsets often support stereo now. If you want to use a stereo in
mono in a copter there might be a little more effort to build an
adapter.

I like my (simple) Avcomm headsets. It came with two cords which have a
little plug that fit into the headset. One coiled for heli and one
straight, two-plugged for GA.
Old March 19th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

jad wrote:
Hi Guys..

Okay Im looking into buying a new headset now ive gone commercial.. Was
looking at standard sets but have been advised by many save up a little
more and get an ANR set (thanks guys

Jad

List the features you think you need (comfort, noise reduction,
clarity, reliability, style, company support, etc.), choose the one
that is most important to you, and find the headset that has that
feature. In my case, I needed to hear clearly, so I chose the one with
the most noise reduction and best sound. Comfort was not great after
several hours, and style left something to be desired.

The nice thing about ANR is that if the batteries go out, you still
have about the same noise reduction as standard -- they still work.

Old March 20th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

Weeelll as told to me by the chief instructor at the Test Pilot school in
Mojave (helicopter pilot) He doesn't feel good as a passenger in a
helicopter where the pilot isn't wearing a helmet. He related some bird
strike stories where the helmet saved the pilot from being knocked
unconscious. Can you imagine the fun riding in the back seat with an
unconscious pilot in the front seat with bird feathers and other stuff
forming around you for your last ride? He advised wearing the helmet with
a clear shield in place. A high time Alaskan bush pilot operator told me
that pilots working for him in fixed or rotary wing wore the helmet and
Nomex flight suits. At least two of his pilots avoided fatal head injuries
wearing a helmet. A friend of mine finally gave in and bought a helmet to
use in lieu of his $1,000 Bose units. Not too long after that the cost of
the helmet was retrieved in a crash into a rock pile. All he got was a
sprained ankle and some paint missing from his helmet. My little foo pah in
my Safari is another helmet story. Gawd! As I write this it sounds like
helmets cause accidents.

--
Stu Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:18:35 +1100, jad
wrote:

Hi Guys..

Okay Im looking into buying a new headset now ive gone commercial.. Was
looking at standard sets but have been advised by many save up a little
more and get an ANR set (thanks guys

Just a question regarding pricing of these sets. I require a set for use
in helicopters but why is it, heli sets are more expensive than the GA ?

The only difference I can tell is the plug setup! That being said,
shouldnt the chopper sets actually be cheaper considering they only have
the one NATO plug??

Are there any other differences ??

I was considering the Bose ANR headset just a few months ago and
decided to save some $$ and pick up a set of Dave Clark H10-56s with
ANR. Saved $350 and they work great. I only have two complaints
about 'em. The battery (standard 9V) is good for about 10-12 hours
and the little clip on the battery box doesn't want to hold on to
anything so I end up stuffing it down my shirt. Other than that, it's
a great headset and very comfy.

Dunno why helo sets are more expensive than fixed wing.. but then
again, helos are more expensive to operate than most fixed wing so....

Old March 20th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:

A friend of mine finally gave in and bought a helmet to
use in lieu of his $1,000 Bose units.

Mythbusters has an episode showing what happens when a chicken cannon
gets used on the windscreen of a GA type airplane.

They were surprised that it when right through and did damage to buster
their dummmy.

They were under the impression that the windscreens in small airplanes
where made out of some sort of shatterproof or shatter resistant glass
or plastic.
Old March 20th 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Headsets ? (Helmets)

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .
Weeelll as told to me by the chief instructor at the Test Pilot school in
Mojave (helicopter pilot) He doesn't feel good as a passenger in a
helicopter where the pilot isn't wearing a helmet. He related some bird

Just so we get our nomenclature correct, its called an ECD not a helmet.
ECD is an acronym for Ego Containment Device. I think maybe we should all
fly with nomex suits, nomex gloves, steel toed jack boots, and an ECD.

Am I serious? See this pic: http://www.igor.com/pix/03-14-06_1634.jpg

Bart