Jay - You guys under water?

Old June 15th 08, 11:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

Default Jay - You guys under water?

On Jun 14, 10:51 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
I certainly hope that your sandbags hold, and the water level recedes.

Latest aerial photos from Iowa City:http://tinyurl.com/5awhnt

Latest photos from the Alexis Park Inn & Suites, our hotel:http://www.alexisparkinn.com/great_flood_of_2008.htm

Things are looking better here.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Your about to be flooded and so you went to Dairy Queen?
Lou
Old June 15th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Your about to be flooded and so you went to Dairy Queen?

Strange, no? None of us believed it was going to be so bad, and I knew that
both our home and hotel were above the 500 year flood plain. So, we were
checking out the river and stumbled upon a round of peanut buster
parfaits...

As it turned out, we have sand-bagged the hotel for nothing -- thank
goodness. (Dairy Queen wasn't so lucky -- they're under several feet of
water, just two years after being wiped out by the Tornado of '06.)

The river is expected to crest later today. We're essentially an island at
the hotel, now, with access from the north and south cut by the river -- and
both freeways into Iowa City (I-80 and I-380) are closed -- so we're
basically out of business -- but at least we're safe.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 15th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Anyway - looks like the waters are receding finally.
Relieved for you.

Thanks, but that's in Cedar Rapids -- different river.

Here in Iowa City the Iowa River is still rising. I got a tour of the dam
last night, courtesy of a Corps of Engineers buddy (the dam area is closed
to the public right now) and the water is still coming over the spillway at
record levels. Worse, water is coming into the reservoir at 10,000 cubic
feet per second FASTER than they can release it -- so this is going to be an
all-summer mess, I fear.

The only solution, really, is going to be a protracted dry spell.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Airbus" wrote in message
If you're still able to operate safely out of the airfield, why don't the
two of you go up and do some aerial photography of your own?

Old June 15th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:29:30 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

As it turned out, we have sand-bagged the hotel for nothing

Great to hear!

Old June 15th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
Anyway - looks like the waters are receding finally.
Relieved for you.

Thanks, but that's in Cedar Rapids -- different river.

Here in Iowa City the Iowa River is still rising. I got a tour of the
dam last night, courtesy of a Corps of Engineers buddy (the dam area is
closed to the public right now) and the water is still coming over the
spillway at record levels. Worse, water is coming into the reservoir
at 10,000 cubic feet per second FASTER than they can release it -- so
this is going to be an all-summer mess, I fear.

The only solution, really, is going to be a protracted dry spell.

We'd love to take some of the rain burden off of you and place it here
in South Carolina.

Old June 16th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rick[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The river is expected to crest later today.

It actually crested last night according to the Press Citizen. I'm just in a
state of shock looking at all the pictures.

- Rick, ex-pat Iowa Citian

Old June 16th 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

How deep did the water get in the T-hangars?
Until I looked at Google Earth, I didn't realize they were the closest
structures to the river.

Nothing at the airport has flooded. The hangars (and the hotel) are at 652'
MSL. Everything below 648' MSL is under water.

Latest updates, and aerial pix from our flight today, he

Old June 16th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

It actually crested last night according to the Press Citizen. I'm just in
state of shock looking at all the pictures.

Check out the latest update, including aerial photos from our flight today:

Old June 16th 08, 05:12 PM
rotor&wing rotor&wing is offline
Member

Location: florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. Tucker View Post
On Jun 13, 8:10 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
....[color=blue][i]

Incredible, worst in 500 years the news says, comparable
to Katrina/New Orleans in damage, and from what I can
tell, worse yet to come...hot summer heat, mosquitos,
fungus after the water receeds.

Still, we've been very lucky. Hundreds of businesses and home are under
water right now... See:http://tinyurl.com/5o823a

Gee, notice the difference between this and Katrina? So far I haven't seen Midwesterners on the news screaming and crying for government assistance.

FEMA isn't there handing out $2000 visa debit cards. And why hasn't someone blamed the President for this?