aviation lingo question

Old January 5th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default aviation lingo question

Hi,

I am using a scanner to listen to my local airport and I often hear
"clear the option". Does this mean "you are clear to take-off"?

Also - were could I look up the usage & rules used for aircraft-tower
communacations?

Thanks,

VS

Old January 5th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
ups.com...

I am using a scanner to listen to my local airport and I often hear
"clear the option". Does this mean "you are clear to take-off"?

"Cleared for the option" is issued to an aircraft on approach to an airport
and means the pilot may do a full-stop landing, touch-and-go, stop-and-go,
or low approach.

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/PCG/index.htm

Old January 5th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

I am using a scanner to listen to my local airport and I often hear
"clear the option". Does this mean "you are clear to take-off"?

"Cleared for the option" is normally issued to an aircraft already in the
traffic pattern. It mean "you can land on the runway and then one of the
following at your choice: a) come to a full stop, then take off again,
b) don't stop but instead take right off again, or c) exit the runway."

Sometimes if the airport is really slow, the controller will issue this
clearance along with the take-off clearance, but typically, it is issued to
an aircraft already in the pattern.

--
Peter
Old January 5th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

When I was learning to fly helicopters, I'd practice slow hovering,
fast taxi, sideway hovering, backward hovering take off at the end of
the runway for a complete pattern and repeat or I would exit the
pattern and fly away or I might come to a complete stop and hover to
the ramp.

"Clear for the option" meant that I can do as I have requested from the
tower (I have the option of doing one of the things that I have
requested to do).

The Monk

Old January 5th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thanks for all the info and thanks to Stephen for the link!

Kind regards & happy flying!

VS

Old January 5th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The Option Approach is used for training. My flight instructor will call for an
option when he does not want me to know what kind of landing I'll be making. For
example, when I'm close to landing he may tell me "there is a 747 on the runway
go around". That way I get to practice emergence procedure in a more realistic
setting.

For aircraft-tower communications, you might look at Aeronautical Information
Manual http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/AIM/. I world recommend Chapter 4 Section 2.
Radio Communications Phraseology and Techniques.

George
If you request flight following, can you really "slip the surly bonds of earth"?

Old January 5th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You are very welcome. I'd like to add that it means you have the
option of remaining in the pattern (touch and go around again), or
landing completelly when you are in the pattern ~ you have the option
of remaining in the pattern (touch and go around again), or leaving the
pattern and fly away when you are taking off.

The Monk

Old January 5th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Are you guys competing in the "friendliest newsgroup of the Internet"
contest?

:-))

Seriously - you have been super helpful and I wish all others would
follow your example!

Thanks for the *great* link!

Cheers,

VS

Old January 6th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It is a clearance for a person landing. Since they are cleared for the
"option", it is at the pilots discretion as to what they would like to do
when their wheels touch down. They can do a Full Stop Landing, Touch and
go, or a Stop and go. Im sure that is what the other responses were, but I
thought Id throw in my answer.

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

http://www.cogentnetworking.com
ups.com...

Trying to Fly AliR Piloting 33 May 9th 05 12:00 AM
Aviation Books&CD Roms FS [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 April 10th 05 10:33 PM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Home Built 3 May 14th 04 11:55 AM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 May 11th 04 10:43 PM