Photo Pilot Certificates

Old September 24th 04, 11:02 AM
kontiki

Teacherjh wrote:

We need to stop certain =ideas= from getting into the country. Sometimes the
ideas come packaged in people, but sometimes they come packaged as music, radio
transmissions, books, internet postings, and correspondence. The people are
already here. Ideas spread faster than people.

All well and good but more and people are coming every day (illegally) and along
with them more and more of your so called "ideas".

Old September 24th 04, 11:05 AM
Paul Sengupta

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message
nk.net...
Two words: Shipping Containers. I live a mile and a half from the Conley
Terminal in South Boston, and every day watch ships twenty times the size

of
airliners drop hundreds of truck-sized packages on the dock. Most enter

the
country with only a cursory once-over, if that.

Paperwork is the key. I was watching a programme on television
that interviewed someone about this very thing, but in relation to
air freight. The answer was paperwork. If the shipment could be
traced back to its origins, and each step of the way everything had
been handled by known quantities, then it was not required to check
everything as it entered the US.

Paul

Old September 24th 04, 11:07 AM
kontiki

How is it that we can patrol no fly zones and borders in other countries
around the world but not our own? I disagree, I thing we have the ability
AND the technology to do a MUCH better job patrolling, DETECTING and STOPPING
illegal entry into this country.

What we lack is the will. But don't worry... we'll continue to spend billions
fighting wars eleswhere, rebuilding the countries afterwards etc etc rather
than make the (politically incorrect) effort to defend our own borders and
develop our own oil reserves here at home.

I give up on this subject... who cares anyway, we can't do it, it can't be
done, we can't we can't we can't.....

C J Campbell wrote:

"kontiki" wrote in message

Really. Why not stop these terrorist people from getting into the country

in the

first place? Seems like what we are doing now is hiring a bunch of

government

employees to plug holes in the dike. When they run out of fingers they

start

looking for civilian "volunteers".

Unfortunately, people don't wear signs saying "terrorist," "illegal alien,"
or "I'm stupid." It would be nice if they did. People who complain about
illegal immigration forget a few things:

Most of the 9/11 terrorists were here legally.

The border of the United States is enormously long. Those who think that you
can stop people from crossing it suffer from a severe lack of imagination.
Even if we had enough population to put soldiers shoulder to shoulder along
the Rio Grande and the Canadian border, it would destroy the economy and
probably would not stop a single illegal from crossing.

It boggles the mind that anyone can think it would be possible monitor what
people do once they are in the country. Heck, we can't even track our own
criminals, let alone those from other countries.

The ability to monitor what an alien is doing 24 hours a day, seven days a
week is also the ability to monitor what you are doing 24 hours a day, seven
days a week.

Old September 24th 04, 11:34 AM
Cub Driver

Whatever our feelings about the FAA, this proposed bill obviously asks
too much of them. Six months! Good grief. The FAA took nearly that
long to look over my first medical!

I think each of us ought to write our senators (we each have two) and
support the bill while extending the time.

I don't have any opinion on who takes the photo. It's a
once-in-a-lifetime hassle. My FSDO is 60 miles away, reasonable trip
fo rme. I suppose it's different in Idaho?

Still, if there are designated examiners, it ought to be possible to
have designated photographers!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! www.vivabush.org
Old September 24th 04, 12:01 PM
marcelfrancisci

The reason is much simpler than all your answers, all the "state driver's
licensing centers" an other photo places would't be any good to the hundred
of thousands of FAA licenced pilots that live abroad.... the medical
examiner is the only person that represents the FAA in all the major
countries.

Old September 24th 04, 02:55 PM
Blanche

KayInPA wrote:
[snip]
The pros/cons of the measure notwithstanding, wouldn't it make sense
to work with state driver's licensing centers? I mean, aren't they
already in the business of issuing (semi) secure identification
cards... in somewhat convenient locations nationwide?

Obviously you haven't spent time in a Colorado DL office lately!

For starters, they've been attacked by a virus that has shut them
down for the entire week. You can take the written or the checkride
but they can't issue the DL.

I'm voting for the same approach as a passport. Go get the photo
at any stripmall, get the application (either online or at the
local post office), bring cash and the current passport to the
post office and a few days later, a new passport appears.

Why can't we use the same approach for the new FAA ID? Same process
only now you add the existing FAA cert.

No passport? No problem. Use your DL or other Govt. issued ID.

This is not rocket science, folks!

Old September 24th 04, 03:01 PM
Blanche

Shiver Me Timbers wrote:
kontiki wrote:

Why not stop these terrorist people from getting into
the country in the first place?

The above comment you made is so vague and generic as to defy
description.

So why don't you come back to the group and specifically tell us all
just exactly you would do to stop any terrorist from getting into
your country in the first place.

Doncha just love people who post anonymously?

The statement is not vague and generic. It's right on point!

How do we fix it? We've known for years how to fix it, but it
requires multiple US Gov. organizations to cooperate.

1) Identifying visitors to the US. On a student visa? Then it's
the school's responsibility to track the student. When a student
enrolls at a college or university, they are required to provide
the visa information (at least at all the schools I know of).
The visa expired? The school is responsible for a) expelling the
student and b) immediately informing INS.

2) Same process for trade/flight/whatever school.

Drastic? Yup. But remember, the folks on 911 were all on expired visas.

3) Here for tourist reasons? When I visit a foreign country, even the
hotel wants my passport. Why not here?

4) Here for business reasons? See #3.

Troll, troll, go away.

Old September 24th 04, 03:58 PM
C J Campbell

"Shiver Me Timbers" wrote in message
C J Campbell wrote:

If there was a soldier every hundred feet ..... that would make what.

Feeble math time. One mile.... lets say five thousand feet, one
soldier every one hundred feet - why that's fifty soldiers per mile.

Hmmmm 3500 mile border times fifty soldiers equals one hundred
and seventy five thousand soldiers.

And Mr. Kontiki..... that's for the day shift, now when you add in the
night shift you would need at least three hundred and fifty thousand
soldiers every twenty four hours just to patrol that one border.

Actually, you need at least three shifts, so 500,000 soldiers just watching
the border. For every soldier on the front lines, you need at least seven
others in support, so three and a half million soldiers just to watch the
Canadian border. That still does not stop people coming through legitimate
checkpoints with falsified documents or whatever. Nor does it account for
aircraft or boats. Neither does it count up the cost of the enormously long
lines at the border while confiscate everybody's fingernail clippers.

I wonder how many port a potties you would need and how far apart would
you put them. Any ex soldiers here who could tell the group how far a
soldier would normally be expected to walk when it came time to take a
poop.

There is no real limit for soldiers, but there are some practical limits.
The statutory limit for migrant workers, I believe, is 300 yards.

Old September 24th 04, 04:07 PM
C J Campbell

"kontiki" wrote in message
How is it that we can patrol no fly zones and borders in other countries
around the world but not our own?

Evidently we can't, with possible exception of Korea, which has an extremely
short border and no traffic is allowed across it.

Many of the terrorists in Iraq are coming across the border with Syria or
Iran.

As for no fly zones, airplanes can be picked up on radar with just a few
patrolling aircraft. But that assumes no one is allowed to fly. In the
United States, which has heavy air traffic crossing the borders both ways,
it is much more difficult to sort out legitimate air traffic from the rest.

Even if we could stop everyone from coming into the country, halting all
international movement (heck, we have people sneaking in from China in
shipping containers), you would still have plenty of terrorists that were
born and raised here.

However, you sound dangerous to me. Perhaps the government should make you
wear an ankle bracelet or something so that your movements can be tracked 24
hours a day. Maybe you should even be confined to your house. Or do you see
my point, yet?