Auto Fuel Residue

Old May 10th 04, 03:38 AM
Stu Gotts

Default Auto Fuel Residue

Okay gurus, this may be a simple one so here goes. I just bought a
project aeroplane and it's obvious the guy was using auto fuel in it.
It's been sitting for about 8 years and there's that great auto fuel
residue all in the tanks, selector valve (frozen), I'm sure in the
lines and I don't even want to think about the carb. Is there a way
to wash that stuff out without removing the sealant? I thought of
buying one of those cheap steamers from Harbor Freight. What are the
thoughts?
Thanks
Old May 12th 04, 03:23 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Stu Gotts wrote:

Okay gurus, this may be a simple one so here goes. I just bought a
project aeroplane and it's obvious the guy was using auto fuel in it.
It's been sitting for about 8 years and there's that great auto fuel
residue all in the tanks, selector valve (frozen), I'm sure in the
lines and I don't even want to think about the carb. Is there a way
to wash that stuff out without removing the sealant? I thought of
buying one of those cheap steamers from Harbor Freight. What are the
thoughts?
Thanks

You will have to disassemble some parts -- selector valve (which needs
some Fuel Lube anyhow), carburetor (look for corrosion), perhaps fuel
pump (corrosion, too).

The gum deposits occur when the fuel evaporates and should not be
present in the lines, although the old fuel will probably smell bad and
is good only for lighting fires. I doyubt that it would even work in a
lawnmower.
Old May 12th 04, 12:00 PM
Stu Gotts

Thanks for the reply. The carb and selector will be serviced. What I
would like to know is if there's a solution that can be placed in the
tanks that will remove the residue. There is no fuel present in the
tanks, it all dried up probably years ago.

On Wed, 12 May 2004 02:23:33 GMT, Orval Fairbairn

Old May 12th 04, 08:52 PM

On Wed, 12 May 2004 12:28:02 GMT, rip
wrote:

How about...gasoline!

Stu Gotts wrote:

I've heard something about a product called "sea foam"

Thanks for the reply. The carb and selector will be serviced. What I
would like to know is if there's a solution that can be placed in the
tanks that will remove the residue. There is no fuel present in the
tanks, it all dried up probably years ago.

On Wed, 12 May 2004 02:23:33 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

In article ,
Stu Gotts wrote:

[...]

PA32-260 Auto Fuel STC Bruce McFadden Owning 9 January 5th 05 10:46 PM
PA32-260 on Auto Fuel Bruce McFadden Owning 0 January 5th 05 03:50 AM
Is Your Airplane Susceptible To Mis Fu eling? A Simple Test For Fuel Contamination. Nathan Young Piloting 4 June 14th 04 06:13 PM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Auto Fuel STC Jeff Home Built 62 September 24th 03 02:41 AM