More KAP 140 questions

Old October 22nd 03, 10:30 PM
AaronK

"Peter" wrote in message

"AaronK" wrote

Peter, In the US, the new KLN94 GPS has all the non-gps approaches in

it's
database for reference. So you can load an ILS (you get a disclaimer

that
it's only to be used as reference) and use it as situational awareness.

But
if you need a substitute for DME, the KLN94 manual says you should use

the
ILS identifier (like KYIP) and load it from the intersection page of the

GPS
rather than loading the approach. If you do that method, you could

probably
set the GPS to OBS mode and twist the OBS to the inbound heading. ...

I never found anyone who knew what the OBS mode did - not even the
instructor on a KLN94B all-day course I went on. So I use only the leg
mode, and use the GPS only en-route. Don't laugh

Peter.

Whatever gets you there safely :-)

Was there a KLN94B? There is an older model that's a KLN89B. If that's the
one you have, it's a somewhat different animal.

Correction in my earlier post. KYIP is the name of the airport. I meant
IYIP the identifier for ILS Rwy 5R at KYIP. Thanks for catching that. ...
Aaron

Old October 23rd 03, 01:14 AM
Mike Rapoport

Yes. The OBS also stops waypoint sequencing on an approach or flight plan,
at least it does on the 430/530 but I am fairly sure that it does the same
thing on all the boxes.

Mike
MU-2

"Peter" wrote in message
news

Greg Esres wrote

Essentially turns the active waypoint into a VOR, and you can dial in
a specific course to fly to or from that fix.

Where do you dial the course? On the HSI course pointer?

It sounds useful...

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

Old October 23rd 03, 01:51 AM
Doug

What happens with the KAP 140 when you loose vacuum or the DG goes stops spinning?
Old October 23rd 03, 02:11 AM
Ross Magnaldo

Used a KLN89B for my instrument rating - the OBS mode was very handy for
holds and partial panel. When you set the GPS up in OBS mode the KLN89B
puts a line through the waypoint on the Nav 4 page and you can very quickly
visualise your position with regards to the inbound heading.

Ross
"Peter" wrote in message
It also sounds like it might be useful for flying an en-route hold
(one which is specified at a DME distance from a real VOR). However
they are easy enough to fly with the standard instruments.

Old October 23rd 03, 02:31 AM
Craig Prouse

"Doug" wrote:

What happens with the KAP 140 when you loose vacuum
or the DG goes stops spinning?

It's a rate-based autopilot driven by the electric turn coordinator. If you
were to lose vacuum, the autopilot would continue to fly just fine as a wing
leveler, but it wouldn't reliably fly a selected heading and it might be
erratic or unreliable tracking a VOR/GPS course.

Old October 23rd 03, 03:48 AM
Greg Esres

Where do you dial the course? On the HSI course pointer?

Depends on the installation. On the 172R, yes, you just turn the OBS
knob or the HSI course pointer. However, if your setup is not wired
this way, you'd have to turn the cursor on and change the setting in
the lower left of the screen.

(Be careful...over time, the OBS selector can become misaligned. The
GPS will read the wrong course.)

As the other poster mentioned, it does stop sequencing as well. If
you have a flight plan, and you turn OBS mode on, then when you arrive
at the waypoint, it will not sequence to the next waypoint. It will
merely flop to a FROM, just like a VOR.
Old October 23rd 03, 03:50 AM
Greg Esres

It also sounds like it might be useful for flying an en-route hold

Yes, but you really need to put it in terminal mode to hold,
otherwise, the needle will barely budge when outbound.

Old October 23rd 03, 03:12 PM
Peter R.

Peter ) wrote:

I never found anyone who knew what the OBS mode did - not even the
instructor on a KLN94B all-day course I went on. So I use only the leg
mode, and use the GPS only en-route. Don't laugh

With my KLN94 I use the OBS mode for VOR approaches. Direct to the VOR
used in the approach, then OBS mode. This allows the GPS to provide more
relevant distance information. The VOR approach in the GPS database many
times does not provide published approach distance information, since often
these distances are measured to the MAP, rather than to the VOR.

Additionally, I use the OBS mode to provide situational awareness when
intercepting an airway. If I just departed an airport and am given a
heading and a request to intercept an airway, I switch the GPS to OBS mode,
hit direct-to the VOR (or intersection) defining that leg of the airway,
dial in the airway radial on the VOR OBS, and momentarily flip the GPS/NAV
switch to NAV.

This draws the airway on the moving map (both the KLN94's map and the
multi-function display map), which gives me a good idea where the airway is
relative to my position. Once I intercept the airway, I place the GPS back
in LEG mode and again hit direct-to VOR.

It reads as if it is a lot of work, but it has become second nature over
time.

--
Peter

Old October 23rd 03, 03:17 PM
Peter R.

I wrote:

snip
and momentarily flip the GPS/NAV switch to NAV.

Uh, that should read "... GPS/NAV switch to GPS."

Proofread? What's that?

--
Peter

Old October 23rd 03, 03:21 PM
Greg Esres

This allows the GPS to provide more relevant distance information.

I don't understand what you're saying. I don't see how OBS mode has
any relation to this. The distance information should always be to
the active waypoint, either in leg mode or OBS mode.