wonders of VFR on top

Old October 21st 04, 10:21 PM
Robert M. Gary

Default wonders of VFR on top

The other day I wanted to get a clearance to get above an overcast
while in cruise. When I asked for a clearance the controller said it
would be awhile because my destination was more than 500 miles away.
He said he needed to get me a clearance all the way there even though
my intention was to cancel on top. The controller than mentioned that
he could issue me a clearance to VFR-on-top w/o the entire route
clearance. I did that and it worked perfectly. I learned something.

-Robert
Old October 21st 04, 11:07 PM
Newps

If that happens again just ask for a local IFR clearance like you were
going to do practice approaches while IFR. As soon as you get on top
you cancel.

Old October 21st 04, 11:16 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
m...

The other day I wanted to get a clearance to get above an overcast
while in cruise. When I asked for a clearance the controller said it
would be awhile because my destination was more than 500 miles away.

Did you request an IFR clearance to that destination?

He said he needed to get me a clearance all the way there even though
my intention was to cancel on top.

Did you tell him you intended to cancel once in VFR conditions above the
clouds?

The controller than mentioned that
he could issue me a clearance to VFR-on-top w/o the entire route
clearance. I did that and it worked perfectly. I learned something.

He could also give you an IFR clearance without the entire route clearance.
If you did cancel upon reaching VFR conditions above the clouds you were
never operating VFR-on-top.

Old October 22nd 04, 05:18 AM
Robert M. Gary

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message ink.net...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
m...

The other day I wanted to get a clearance to get above an overcast
while in cruise. When I asked for a clearance the controller said it
would be awhile because my destination was more than 500 miles away.

Did you request an IFR clearance to that destination?

No, I said I need to pick up an IFR to climb above an overcast. He
asked me my dest. I told him. He said it would take 15 minutes or so
to get a clearance that far. I told him I would cancel on top. He said
it didn't make a difference he needed to get the clearance all the way
down. This was just south of SeaTac and I was going to California.

He said he needed to get me a clearance all the way there even though
my intention was to cancel on top.

Did you tell him you intended to cancel once in VFR conditions above the
clouds?

Yes

The controller than mentioned that
he could issue me a clearance to VFR-on-top w/o the entire route
clearance. I did that and it worked perfectly. I learned something.

He could also give you an IFR clearance without the entire route clearance.
If you did cancel upon reaching VFR conditions above the clouds you were
never operating VFR-on-top.

He gave me an IFR clearance "to VFR-on-top". He said that issuing the
clearance that way allowed him to not have to wait for the clearance
to go through Oakland Center (or whatever).
Old October 22nd 04, 05:19 AM
Robert M. Gary

Newps wrote in message ...
If that happens again just ask for a local IFR clearance like you were
going to do practice approaches while IFR. As soon as you get on top
you cancel.

I told him I only needed the clearance for 10 miles until I got on
top. He said he still needed to wait for Oakland center unless I just
wanted a clearance to VFR-on-top.

He then issued me the typical to VFR-OT clearance. Climb maint...if
not on top by...etc.

-Robert
Old October 22nd 04, 12:48 PM
Matt Whiting

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Newps wrote in message ...

If that happens again just ask for a local IFR clearance like you were
going to do practice approaches while IFR. As soon as you get on top
you cancel.

I told him I only needed the clearance for 10 miles until I got on
top. He said he still needed to wait for Oakland center unless I just
wanted a clearance to VFR-on-top.

He then issued me the typical to VFR-OT clearance. Climb maint...if
not on top by...etc.

I've never used an IFR to VFR on top clearance. What are the subleties
of this? What is the clearance limit? What are the lost comm
procedures if the clearance limit isn't an airport? What if you don't
break out when you expect to find VFR?

Matt

Old October 22nd 04, 01:00 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...

Did you request an IFR clearance to that destination?

No, I said I need to pick up an IFR to climb above an overcast. He
asked me my dest. I told him. He said it would take 15 minutes or so
to get a clearance that far. I told him I would cancel on top. He said
it didn't make a difference he needed to get the clearance all the way
down. This was just south of SeaTac and I was going to California.

There's no reason he'd have to issue a clearance all the way to your
destination.

He could also give you an IFR clearance without the entire route
clearance.
If you did cancel upon reaching VFR conditions above the clouds you were
never operating VFR-on-top.

He gave me an IFR clearance "to VFR-on-top".

As in "cleared to VFR-on-top" instead of "cleared to [fix]"? That's a
fairly common mistake made by inexperienced controllers. They issue
VFR-on-top in lieu of a clearance limit instead of a hard altitude.

He said that issuing the
clearance that way allowed him to not have to wait for the clearance
to go through Oakland Center (or whatever).

It's no different from any other IFR clearance. If the clearance limit is
outside of his airspace he has to coordinate with another controller
somewhere. If the clearance limit is within his airspace there's nobody to
coordinate with.