Won't Pay for Perks (was Europeans flying on holiday -hysterical !)

Old June 10th 05, 03:34 AM
Rich Lemert

Default Won't Pay for Perks (was Europeans flying on holiday -hysterical !)

Pooh Bear wrote:
ShawnD2112 wrote:

Sorry, nobody, but you're not quite right. People flying in Economy class
buy tickets on price and price alone, once the hygience factors like safety
and destination are there. In fact, routing and aircraft type are
non-issues. People will fly from London to Amsterdam to New York if it's
cheaper than a London-NY direct service.

I'd have to see a *huge* saving to do that.

Nothing worse than transfers. Never mind the extra flying time - not to mention
journey time overall.

Back when Eastern Airlines was still around, we took advantage of
their "system fares" for a combination college graduation (my wife's) /
honeymoon (both of us) / "yeah, the strike's over" vacation. For one
low price, and with restrictions on stop-overs and plane changes in
a single airport, you could go everywhere in North America that Eastern
went for a month.

We started out New Orleans through Miami to Jamaica for three days.

Next leg was Montego Bay, back through Miami, to Washington National
for a couple of days.

Next leg was DCA to Atlanta to Phoenix to visit a couple of college
friends, again about a three day stay.

Now comes the fun part. True to its name, Eastern had an extensive
route structure in the eastern part of the country. They could also
get you to a few cities on the west coast. They had very few connections
in the west, though, so we had to choose between an inconvenient route
and paying for a different airline. We wound up going from Phoenix, with
a stop in Albuquerque, to Atlanta. Spend 7 hours on lay-over in Atlanta,
then took a non-stop to Seattle with continuing service to Portland.

We try not to do that sort of thing any more.