Twice as fast for less gas

Old January 28th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

Default Twice as fast for less gas

I don't know if this guy's ideas would work, but it's a shame he
hasn't had a chance to really try them out...

http://www.airspacemag.com/issues/20...y_turbines.php
Old January 29th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Edward A. Falk

Vaporware is always faster, cheaper, and less buggy. Call me when
someone actually builds one.

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/
Old January 29th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Edward A. Falk

In article ,
Edward A. Falk wrote:
Vaporware is always faster, cheaper, and less buggy. Call me when
someone actually builds one.

Ummm, that said, If he *does* build it, I really, really want one.

Old January 29th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Jan 28, 6:45*pm, (Edward A. Falk) wrote:
In article ,
Edward A. Falk wrote:

Vaporware is always faster, cheaper, and less buggy. *Call me when
someone actually builds one.

Ummm, that said, If he *does* build it, I really, really want one.

--
* * * * -Ed Falk,
* * * *http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

Amen, brother.

Phil
Old January 29th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Edward A. Falk" wrote in message
Vaporware is always faster, cheaper, and less buggy. Call me when
someone actually builds one.

The concept of building an ultra high bypass engine, with lower pressure
ratios and slower intake speeds does make a heck of a lot of sense.

As it was said, for a switch from low and slow to low and fast. A jet that
is built to go faster than pistons, but low.

Asking the high running jet engines to run down in the lower altitudes is
like making a high compression turbocharged piston engine run without the
turbocharger running. Of course it is not going to run well, or
efficiently.

If I had a few million to put up, I would do it. It would be a revolution,
and one whose time should come.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 29th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Phil J posted:

I don't know if this guy's ideas would work, but it's a shame he
hasn't had a chance to really try them out...

http://www.airspacemag.com/issues/20...y_turbines.php

Very interesting article, and given Gerry Merrill's credentials, quite
plausible. Unfortunately, it isn't surprising that he has repeatedly run
into the wall presented by a market too small to support such a project.
The notion seems to be, "If we build it... they still won't come."
Remember the BD-5?

Neil

Old January 29th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Jan 29, 11:15*am, "Neil Gould" wrote:
Recently, Phil J posted:

http://www.airspacemag.com/issues/20...y_turbines.php

Very interesting article, and given Gerry Merrill's credentials, quite
plausible. Unfortunately, it isn't surprising that he has repeatedly run
into the wall presented by a market too small to support such a project.
The notion seems to be, "If we build it... they still won't come."
Remember the BD-5?

Neil

Yeah, it's an interesting concept. I suspect the dollar amounts he
mentions are way optimistic though. I don't think his engine would be
any cheaper than a turbine engine like the PT6A. Lancair has a 4-
place kit powered by a PT6A, and they estimate the total cost at
$750,000 to $1,000,000. And that is for a kit. Still, the VLJs have
proven there is a market for small jets. Maybe there is a market for
even smaller jets.

Phil
Old January 29th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Phil J wrote:
[...]

This is all very possible. The brick wall will be the certification
costs and insurance issues. I hope it will happen because we need
things like this to keep GA a viable segment of the economy and
aviation in general.

Old January 29th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

kontiki wrote:
Phil J wrote:
[...]

The brick wall will be finding a market for the engines to cover all
the R&D, certification, etc. costs such that the engine costs aren't
a killer.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 29th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Phil J posted:

[...]

I think Merrill's pricing reflects large production quantities. Lancair's
production volume reflects the number they expect to be able to sell, and
I suspect those numbers seem more realistic to potential investors.
Consider the number of GA pilots that would pursue the ratings, pay the
insurance, and so forth. If anything, Jim Bede's planes demonstrated just
how shallow that pool really is (that, and little matters like I can't fit
in a BD-5... there is no way the canopy would close without my head in my
knees, and though I got in, I had one heck of a time getting out).

Neil

Now this is FAST.....less than 4 hrs.....where's the SSA OLC Administrator??? [email protected] Soaring 1 May 4th 07 01:37 AM
Why fly fast approaches? EDR Piloting 54 July 8th 04 01:20 AM
I'm flying way too fast, Or am I? JJ Sinclair Soaring 5 June 21st 04 02:00 PM
How fast should an ADF point? Ben Jackson Instrument Flight Rules 6 November 21st 03 03:50 AM
Fast helicopters George Vranek Rotorcraft 32 November 11th 03 12:54 AM