How about this for computing power in your glider cockpit

Old May 15th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How about this for computing power in your glider cockpit

http://www.oqo.com/hardware/basics/

Paul, do you stock these? :-)
Old May 16th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gary Emerson wrote:
http://www.oqo.com/hardware/basics/

Paul, do you stock these? :-)

Don't forget to order the high-altitude option:

http://i_fly_5000k.home.comcast.net/disk_fix/
Old May 16th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

I wouldn't want a device that uses a hard drive in my glider cockpit. It
seems like all the new large screen devices use hard drives. I'm still
hoping for a large screen that uses flash memory like Pocket PCs do.

Paul Remde

Old May 16th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

WARNING!
What you think is glare may well be smoke...
All of this electronic gadgetry works on smoke. You may have noticed
that when the smoke leaks out, the equipment stops working. Then it's
time to send it to a shop who can fix the leak and pump smoke back in
again.
Adding the Schrader valve will help get a quick turn-around when it's
time for service. And the factory technicians will be impressed with
your understanding of electronics!
Don't use a Presta valve, as they're too fragile.
Does the "glare shield" help keep the smoke in?
Jim

Old May 16th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I agree, Paul. Hard disks don't belong in a glider for many reasons.

Fortunately the price of flash memory has dropped emough that 'flash drives'
are available in useful capacities. They look just like a disk drive to the
computer and operating system. I think some of the upcoming small tablets
will offer flash drives as an option.

Right now my attention is on a system using:
1. Via 'Nano ITX' mother board in a 'fanless' case.
2. 4GB flash drive
3. Win XP tablet OS
4. Win32 version of GPS_Log WinCE glide software. (Looks good in protrait
mode)
An alternative is embedded Linux running Cumulus glide software.

The remaining problem is screens. There just isn't anything available that
really meets the requirements. - either readability or power comsumption or
both.

Bill Daniels

Old May 16th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Control Vision has one designed for high altitude aircraft use--you may
be able to use it for soaring programs, but need some research. See
www.controlvision.com. The unit is the "Raven".

Skip Guimond

Old May 16th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marc Ramsey wrote:
Gary Emerson wrote:
http://www.oqo.com/hardware/basics/

I borrowed one and tried it on a sunny day. You don't want it...

Marc

Hi Marc

I owe one and I am using it in full sunlight, same reflective screens
as Ipaqs, no problem you must make sure that it is on automatic light
detect.. Batterylife 2hrs on continuous but has a very quick standby
function. Using it for Storing Description of Outlanding fields (French
Alps) and all the Glider and Instrument Manuals.

Bruno

Old May 16th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mottley wrote:
Marc Ramsey wrote:
Gary Emerson wrote:
http://www.oqo.com/hardware/basics/

I borrowed one and tried it on a sunny day. You don't want it...

Marc

Hi Marc

I owe one and I am using it in full sunlight, same reflective screens
as Ipaqs, no problem you must make sure that it is on automatic light
detect.. Batterylife 2hrs on continuous but has a very quick standby
function. Using it for Storing Description of Outlanding fields (French
Alps) and all the Glider and Instrument Manuals.

The one I borrowed had the same type of transflective screen as the
current iPaqs, and it had significantly less contrast (to my eyes) then
my iPaq 3955 in full sunlight. I don't know whether it was in automatic
light detect mode, though...

Marc
Old May 17th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The Air Force Test Pilot School has a Blanik L23 with a Gateway
tablet PC in the front seat. It had better resolution and screen
visibility in the sun than my own Gateway M1200 or IPAQ 3950.
No, I haven't installed the M1200 in a glider, but use it outdoors
quite a bit. Would consider the screen as useless as the IPAQs in full
sun. This is pretty normal with touch screens.
TPS is experimenting with dynamic soaring, and able to view pretty
accurate wind shear information on the tablet PC screen, along with an
attitude indicator and satellite imagery. These tests supposedly
include dynamic soaring the Blanik down to 100' AGL, which could be....
Well, interesting.
The best GPS display to rely on in the cockpit would be the "Black
and White" one in the panel. Call it an SN-10, 303, Garmin, LX7000,
GPS-NAV display, or whatever you like. The moving map is nice, but
about as necessary as parachutes at 100 feet.
Jim