Manifold Pressure at Rest

Old August 18th 04, 08:08 PM
kage

No.

It should be close to the setting seen when field elevation is dialed in.

Karl

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Robert,

it should read the same pressure as the altimeter in the Kollsmann
window when the altimeter is set to zero feet, right?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 19th 04, 02:12 AM
Jack

BTIZ wrote:

I cannot adjust my altimeter to "zero feet", the adjustment does not go that
far..

BTIZ, you're high again.

Jack
Old August 19th 04, 07:05 AM
Robert M. Gary

Thomas Borchert wrote in message ...
Robert,

it should read the same pressure as the altimeter in the Kollsmann
window when the altimeter is set to zero feet, right?

Altimeter setting is defined to be the number required to make your
altimeter indicate field elevation on the field. It was a mistake many
years ago that they used the same scale as pressure does. It will be
somewhat close, but not the same, especially on a hot day.

-Robert
Old August 19th 04, 08:52 AM
Thomas Borchert

Robert,

Altimeter setting is defined to be the number required to make your
altimeter indicate field elevation on the field.

I know that.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 19th 04, 08:52 AM
Thomas Borchert

G,

......altimeter set to ***airfield elevation***, correct??

That will make the Kollsmann show the QNH. And, as has been mentioned
in this thread, that is not ambient pressure at the field's elevation.
Thus, it is NOT what MP will show.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 19th 04, 08:52 AM
Thomas Borchert

Kage,

It should be close to the setting seen when field elevation is dialed in.

I think you're wrong. When you dial in field elevation, the Kollsmann will
show the altimeter setting for the field on that day. And that, as has been
mentioned in this thread, is not ambient pressure at the field's elevation,
it is rather the pressure as corrected for MSL. Thus, it is NOT what MP
will show.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 19th 04, 04:42 PM
kage

Thomas,

Well it might be wrong, but it will be close, like I said----not exact. And
it is a good preflight check to see if there are gross errors in the
instruments.

Your:

"it should read the same pressure as the altimeter in the Kollsmann
window when the altimeter is set to zero feet, right?"

won't even be close, unless you're at sea level, and is completely
erroneous.

Old August 19th 04, 05:55 PM
Robert M. Gary

Thomas Borchert wrote in message ...
Robert,

Altimeter setting is defined to be the number required to make your
altimeter indicate field elevation on the field.

I know that.

I may have misunderstood what you meant by "zero feet" then. I thought
you were referring to zero MSL but it would be zero AGL.

-Robert