Sun 'n' Fun

Old March 9th 05, 04:10 AM
Jose

Default Sun 'n' Fun

What is it like arriving and departing Lakeland during Sun 'n' Fun? I
will probably be in the area and would be interested in dropping in for
an afteroon or a day or two. What kind of arrival and departure delays
can I expect? What's parking like?

Jose
--
Math is a game. The object of the game is to figure out the rules.
Old March 9th 05, 01:15 PM
jsmith

Worse than Oshkosh.
In the 20 years I have been going to SunNFun, I have noticed that fewer
people seem to read the SNF NOTAM and/or follow the procedures.
The biggest problem, just like OSH is speed control.
They do well, maintaining 80 kts up until the Orange Ball, and then
suddenly, they slow down, backing up everything behind them.
In addition to slowing down, they fly an extended downwind instead of
turning base abeam the approach end of runway 9L.
Had they read the NOTAM, they would know that the threshhold is
displaced about 1500 feet east of the west end of the runway.

Old March 9th 05, 02:44 PM
Deborah McFarland

What is it like arriving and departing Lakeland during Sun 'n' Fun? I
will probably be in the area and would be interested in dropping in for an
afteroon or a day or two. What kind of arrival and departure delays can I
expect? What's parking like?

Jose

If you can fly at a busy uncontrolled airport, you can fly the arrival at
Lakeland. Know your airplane, read the notam and hang up the mike. Just
listen to the tower, keep your eyeballs outside and you'll do fine. We have
the coordinates for the smokestacks in our GPS. It makes entering the
arrival procedure easier. Be familiar with the holding procedures in case
there's a problem.

As to arrival or departure delays, be aware that the field is closed during
the airshows that occur daily. Be prepared to depart before 2:00 pm (I
think), or you will have to wait until about 6:00 pm. Have your run-up
completed before you come to the departure threshold. Practicing a rolling
run-up (like you're taught for soft field situations) is a good idea. I also
encourage pilots to be able to fly down the runway and land at any given
time. The controllers really appreciate that.

I'm flying in this year with a seven-year old ;-).

Deb

--
1946 Luscombe 8A (His)
1948 Luscombe 8E (Hers)

Old March 9th 05, 02:47 PM
Jay Honeck

What is it like arriving and departing Lakeland during Sun 'n' Fun? I
will probably be in the area and would be interested in dropping in for an
afteroon or a day or two. What kind of arrival and departure delays can I
expect? What's parking like?

I've flown in the last couple of years, and the usual warnings apply.

- Practice speed control.
- Practice spot landings
- Practice tight patterns (VERY tight)
- Read the NOTAM

Other than that, it's just "follow the leader" and try not to arrive in the
area right after they open. (We did that two years ago, and got stuck in
the holding pattern around the lake for quite a while. No fun with
dissimilar aircraft.)

Parking is "first come, first served" in camping. I don't know about
transients.

We're not going to make it this year (we're flying to Florida next week
instead, weather permitting), but it's a lot of fun. Be sure to hit
MargaritaVille for me!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 9th 05, 04:14 PM
jsmith

The only way to go... Vintage Aircraft parking/camping!
Campsite right next to the entrance east gate.