Repainting a LARK

Old December 18th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Zoltan T

Default Repainting a LARK

Does anyone have experience repainting a Lark (IS-28B2)
wing?
I know some other metal gliders have their wing profiled
with filler, so any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zoltan

Old December 19th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fred

On Dec 17, 7:41 pm, Zoltan T
wrote:
Does anyone have experience repainting a Lark (IS-28B2)
wing?
I know some other metal gliders have their wing profiled
with filler, so any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zoltan

I'd go with filling with fearher coat and Polyurethane paint applied
by a good auto shop. Preparation is the key.Not cheap but excellent
results.Fred
Old December 19th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

On Dec 18, 9:59 pm, fred wrote:
On Dec 17, 7:41 pm, Zoltan T
wrote:

Good advise from Fred. A metal wing with heavy filler won't
stay...............I believe the "compitition" 1-35's came with a
ceconite wrap, then polyurethane paint without the accelerator which
makes it brittle. You want the paint to remain flexable, especially on
fabric control surfaces.........I wouldn't wet-sand the
final ...........touch the ceconite and it will fray and fuzz. Most
auto body shops will do a good job, us glider repair shops load on the
paint (4 heavy coats), then wet-sand off the final coat to give that
killer performance and look of a glass bird.
Have Fun,
JJ

Old December 19th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

On Dec 19, 2:14 pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
us glider repair shops load on the
paint (4 heavy coats), then wet-sand off the final coat to give that
killer performance and look of a glass bird.

Personally I think it's easier to own & fly a glass bird!
Old December 19th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 17, 10:41 pm, Zoltan T
wrote:
Does anyone have experience repainting a Lark (IS-28B2)
wing?
I know some other metal gliders have their wing profiled
with filler, so any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zoltan

Check carefully for corrosion. This is a common problem with this
ship.
Look in areas of cracked paint and wherever filler is loose or
cracked.
If it were mine, I would not fill extensively.
Good Luck
UH