InReach Usage, SAR Insurance Plans

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 16th 18, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Default InReach Usage, SAR Insurance Plans

I found a great site from a paraglider pilot explaining how he uses his InReach in back-country flying: https://www.cloudbasemayhem.com/garm...r-adventurers/ In my opinion it explains all the important usage information much better than does Garmin.

Point 6 in his first list describes clearly how people can contact your InReach device. This understanding had taken me some time to acquire - I wish I’d seen this article first! He also gives a link to another article that describes what happens when you press the SOS button (see his last paragraph), which I found to be very interesting.

One other *very* interesting link is to yet another article that looks at search and rescue insurance (see his last paragraph). If you follow his links, you’ll see that the standard (read cheap) plans do NOT cover paragliding, hang-gliding, racing or aerobatics. I believe soaring IS covered (because they say licensed private aircraft are covered), but I’m not 100% sure (still trying to puzzle out the confusing insurance jargon).

Has anyone on RAS already put in the effort to figure out what soaring pilots might need in the way of search and rescue insurance?

-John, Q3

Any insurance plans for high-deductible, low premiums? Bret Hess Soaring 10 February 1st 15 09:52 PM
Long EZ plans, Mini IMP plans, F4U Corsair plans, materials, instruments for sale reader Home Built 1 January 26th 11 02:40 AM
Usage fee process Danny Deger Piloting 3 April 11th 07 08:27 PM
Duster Plans For Sale - BJ-1b fullsize sailplane plans WoodHawk Soaring 0 April 25th 05 04:37 AM
Oil usage GE Owning 14 May 20th 04 07:22 AM