A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

InReach Usage, SAR Insurance Plans

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 16th 18, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

Default InReach Usage, SAR Insurance Plans

I found a great site from a paraglider pilot explaining how he uses his InReach in back-country flying: https://www.cloudbasemayhem.com/garm...r-adventurers/ In my opinion it explains all the important usage information much better than does Garmin.

Point 6 in his first list describes clearly how people can contact your InReach device. This understanding had taken me some time to acquire - I wish I’d seen this article first! He also gives a link to another article that describes what happens when you press the SOS button (see his last paragraph), which I found to be very interesting.

One other *very* interesting link is to yet another article that looks at search and rescue insurance (see his last paragraph). If you follow his links, you’ll see that the standard (read cheap) plans do NOT cover paragliding, hang-gliding, racing or aerobatics. I believe soaring IS covered (because they say licensed private aircraft are covered), but I’m not 100% sure (still trying to puzzle out the confusing insurance jargon).

Has anyone on RAS already put in the effort to figure out what soaring pilots might need in the way of search and rescue insurance?

-John, Q3