A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Best Soaring Simulator??



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 30th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson[_1_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Best Soaring Simulator??

Greetings,

Off season (northern hemisphere) is coming. What are the top 2-3
soaring simulators or is there a clear winner?

Thanks,

Gary
Ads
  #2  
Old September 30th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 199
Default Best Soaring Simulator??

Condor.



Gary Emerson wrote:
Greetings,

Off season (northern hemisphere) is coming. What are the top 2-3
soaring simulators or is there a clear winner?

Thanks,

Gary


  #3  
Old September 30th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbusgb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 82
Default Best Soaring Simulator??

Condor outstrips all the others.

The latest release has an uprated thermal simulation that is really
true to life.

The community has produced 5 new sceneries with New Zealand and some
others expected soon.

The online community is very active and regular organised races
regularly have gaggles of 8 to 10 in the same thermal with the
occasional 20 crowd. The Lowlands cup organised series has over 500
registered pilots and when the series starts up again this winter a
'task night' will see 4 or more servers all running identical tasks
with identical weather and each host will have as many as 32 ships
belting around.

You can fly modern glass usin PDA anf GPS simulation or scrape round a
task in a K13 using map and camera!

Ian M

Gary Emerson wrote:
Greetings,

Off season (northern hemisphere) is coming. What are the top 2-3
soaring simulators or is there a clear winner?

Thanks,

Gary


  #4  
Old October 2nd 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Field
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Best Soaring Simulator??

Just bought Condor...

What a fantastic simulator it really is. It simulates
anything that might interest you in gliding (I believe
there might be a self-launcher in progress), there
is a huge network of people developing new scenery,
aircraft, and millions of tasks, it is fully supported,
will run OK on any system (don't know about Mac though),
and all in all is superb.

At 43 it is quite expensive for a PC game... but then
it is a very realistic simulator that is being constantly
upgraded and improved to make the game more and more
realistic.

My laptop is ancient, but runs fine with the graphics
at rock bottom. On my brother's gaming beast it is
video-realistic.

My only concern was whether Silent Wings was any better...
But then I found out why all the screenshots are taken
from high altitude! The Silent Wings fellows certainly
deserve every penny they make from the game, but I
think Condor comes out on top.

See the painful process of me trying to decide on u.r.a.s.!

UK scenery coming soon

Colin
Don't Disregard Dangling the Dunlop!


  #5  
Old October 2nd 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus[_1_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default Best Soaring Simulator??

Hi Colin,

How did you end up paying 43? If you buy it from their website
(http://www.condorsoaring.com/) as a download it is 39.99 (about
27/$51 at current exchange rates). Since you are in the UK you'd have
to add VAT but that should still be quite a bit less than 43.

Either way it's worth the money, the online competitions/racing is
without equal and there are servers available to race or free fly
online with others any time of the day/night :-) You can even soar/race
between 17,000+ft mountains in the Colombian Andes (Cordillera) or
anywhere in the European Alps including classic places like St.
Auban...

Markus


Colin Field wrote:
Just bought Condor...

What a fantastic simulator it really is. It simulates
anything that might interest you in gliding (I believe
there might be a self-launcher in progress), there
is a huge network of people developing new scenery,
aircraft, and millions of tasks, it is fully supported,
will run OK on any system (don't know about Mac though),
and all in all is superb.

At 43 it is quite expensive for a PC game... but then
it is a very realistic simulator that is being constantly
upgraded and improved to make the game more and more
realistic.

My laptop is ancient, but runs fine with the graphics
at rock bottom. On my brother's gaming beast it is
video-realistic.

My only concern was whether Silent Wings was any better...
But then I found out why all the screenshots are taken
from high altitude! The Silent Wings fellows certainly
deserve every penny they make from the game, but I
think Condor comes out on top.

See the painful process of me trying to decide on u.r.a.s.!

UK scenery coming soon

Colin
Don't Disregard Dangling the Dunlop!


  #6  
Old October 2nd 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chuck Griswold
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Best Soaring Simulator??

At 15:55 02 October 2006, Markus wrote:
Hi Colin,

How did you end up paying =A343? If you buy it from
their website
(http://www.condorsoaring.com/) as a download it is
=8039.99 (about
=A327/$51 at current exchange rates). Since you are
in the UK you'd

have
to add VAT but that should still be quite a bit less
than =A343.

Either way it's worth the money, the online competitions/racing
is
without equal and there are servers available to race
or free fly
online with others any time of the day/night :-) You
can even soar/race
between 17,000+ft mountains in the Colombian Andes
(Cordillera) or
anywhere in the European Alps including classic places
like St.
Auban...

Markus

Markus, I think your computer added a 3 infront of
Colins 43. Anyway,
Colin, Condor is great.

Just to add my two cents worth. I've had Condor since
December.
Learned off line to fly it and then asked Frank Paynter,
at Monday Night
Soaring, www.gliderracing.com how to get online.
He was realy very

helpful. So you can see I started from zero. At the
first race I was
hooked. Now, if its to hot, cold, raining, or dark
I'm on the computer.
Never had that problem before. I really have to
get a life:-)
Chuck



  #7  
Old October 2nd 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Surgeon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Best Soaring Simulator??

Hi Gary

It all depends on what you're looking for in a soaring simulator but at the
moment the choice is either Condor or Silent Wings or both.
The other sims like SFSPC just haven't progressed that much.

Condor
======
Pros:
- Great for multiplayer racing tasks! There are lots of pilots so you can
fly just about anytime with someone.
- Lots of high quality gliders to choose from.
- The scenery is synthetic so it looks nice from close up - no "blurries"
low down.
- Scenery areas are expanding.
- Has wave lift (although it's accuracy is debatable)

Cons :
- Scenery doesn't depict the real life features. No rivers, roads, quarries,
mine dumps, etc. (I tend to view it as "candy land".)
- The trees are way too big (about twice the size of the real ones).
- Scenery areas are small so if you want to do a nice 1000km+
distance-to-task flight you can forget it. I think the limit is 512x512km
IIRC.
- You didn't mention your OS but Condor doesn't run on Mac or Linux.
- Glider packs cost extra money.
- Major upgrades like version 2 will require a new purchase (I think).
- Aerotow and winch are scripted and are not modeled too well. Rope doesn't
seem to stretch and the winch operator will pull you along at 200km/h if
you let him instead of regulating the winch speed. Tug plane isn't affected
by the environment.
- No trial and doesn't seem to be any money back guarantee which is really
daft in my opinion. What if it doesn't run on your PC or you don't like it?


Silent Wings
============
Pros :
- Great for cross country soaring (especially long tasks).
- Scenery depicts real life features since it's based on satellite imagery
or well rendered synthetic scenery (Norway). This means you can identify
landmarks a lot more easily. This also means the scenery varies greatly as
you fly and isn't the same monotonous textures every where you go.
- All gliders and future ones are free
- Future upgrades (even major ones) are free
- Free scenery for over 1 million square km of Alps (France, Germany,
Switzerland, Austria, Czeck Republic Italy, Slovenia) as well as Sweden
(WGC at Ekeby), Minden, South Africa, and more to come (Harris Hill,
Colorado/New Mexico, South Island of New Zealand, Andes).
- Antares electric motor glider with (HK36 Super Diamona on the way)
- Realistic winch launch and aerotow - the rope is totally dynamic and the
tug experiences the same turbulent and lift. You can watch the tug start
rising as it hits a thermal or drop as it hits sink before you do the same.
- Hang gliders soon (and paragliders a bit later)
- Runs on Windows, Linux (and soon Mac)
- Free two week trial so you can try before you buy!

Cons :
- Satellite scenery is blurry low down.
- Although online multiplayer works really nicely there isn't as much of a
competitiveness to the racing. This is being worked on and should be ready
in a couple of months but Condor currently leads the pack in this area.
- Not as many gliders
- No trees and buildings yet (but will be soon :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px8mgZkzy4U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk2gjeDcs5o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaRwDs1-6_I )
- Commercial scenery is payware (currently Norway)
- No wave lift yet.

Some people seem to be very biased in their opinions and will recommend a
simulator based on their opinion without giving any facts so I'd advise you
to take a look at the features you want and make your choice based on that.
Use what tool suites you best.

Regards
Paul

  #8  
Old October 3rd 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 447
Default Best Soaring Simulator??

Don't forget to throw x-plane into the mix (www.x-plane.com) It is
primarily a power simulator, but has gliders as well. Can do thermal
and ridge soaring, tows and winch launches. Very realistic scenery of
the ENTIRE PLANET! and mars. Runs on mac, linux, or PC. Has a very
fast universal binary version for intel macs. FAA accredited for some
flight training. You can build your own aircraft, and add you own crop
duster strips, otherwise every airport of any size is included.

Matt

Paul Surgeon wrote:
Hi Gary

It all depends on what you're looking for in a soaring simulator but at the
moment the choice is either Condor or Silent Wings or both.
The other sims like SFSPC just haven't progressed that much.

Condor
======
Pros:
- Great for multiplayer racing tasks! There are lots of pilots so you can
fly just about anytime with someone.
- Lots of high quality gliders to choose from.
- The scenery is synthetic so it looks nice from close up - no "blurries"
low down.
- Scenery areas are expanding.
- Has wave lift (although it's accuracy is debatable)

Cons :
- Scenery doesn't depict the real life features. No rivers, roads, quarries,
mine dumps, etc. (I tend to view it as "candy land".)
- The trees are way too big (about twice the size of the real ones).
- Scenery areas are small so if you want to do a nice 1000km+
distance-to-task flight you can forget it. I think the limit is 512x512km
IIRC.
- You didn't mention your OS but Condor doesn't run on Mac or Linux.
- Glider packs cost extra money.
- Major upgrades like version 2 will require a new purchase (I think).
- Aerotow and winch are scripted and are not modeled too well. Rope doesn't
seem to stretch and the winch operator will pull you along at 200km/h if
you let him instead of regulating the winch speed. Tug plane isn't affected
by the environment.
- No trial and doesn't seem to be any money back guarantee which is really
daft in my opinion. What if it doesn't run on your PC or you don't like it?


Silent Wings
============
Pros :
- Great for cross country soaring (especially long tasks).
- Scenery depicts real life features since it's based on satellite imagery
or well rendered synthetic scenery (Norway). This means you can identify
landmarks a lot more easily. This also means the scenery varies greatly as
you fly and isn't the same monotonous textures every where you go.
- All gliders and future ones are free
- Future upgrades (even major ones) are free
- Free scenery for over 1 million square km of Alps (France, Germany,
Switzerland, Austria, Czeck Republic Italy, Slovenia) as well as Sweden
(WGC at Ekeby), Minden, South Africa, and more to come (Harris Hill,
Colorado/New Mexico, South Island of New Zealand, Andes).
- Antares electric motor glider with (HK36 Super Diamona on the way)
- Realistic winch launch and aerotow - the rope is totally dynamic and the
tug experiences the same turbulent and lift. You can watch the tug start
rising as it hits a thermal or drop as it hits sink before you do the same.
- Hang gliders soon (and paragliders a bit later)
- Runs on Windows, Linux (and soon Mac)
- Free two week trial so you can try before you buy!

Cons :
- Satellite scenery is blurry low down.
- Although online multiplayer works really nicely there isn't as much of a
competitiveness to the racing. This is being worked on and should be ready
in a couple of months but Condor currently leads the pack in this area.
- Not as many gliders
- No trees and buildings yet (but will be soon :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px8mgZkzy4U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk2gjeDcs5o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaRwDs1-6_I )
- Commercial scenery is payware (currently Norway)
- No wave lift yet.

Some people seem to be very biased in their opinions and will recommend a
simulator based on their opinion without giving any facts so I'd advise you
to take a look at the features you want and make your choice based on that.
Use what tool suites you best.

Regards
Paul


  #9  
Old October 3rd 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MickiMinner
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 92
Default Best Soaring Simulator??


At the SSA convention this year, I was thinking about having a soaring
simulator CONTEST. I have been working with Ian M. (who is a big fan
and knowledgeable about Condor)...and the Condor Soaring folks in
Slovenia have graciously offered me the server time, software licenses,
etc. to have at the convention. Any interest out there...maybe having
a simulator contest during the convention?
micki

  #10  
Old October 3rd 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbusgb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 82
Default Best Soaring Simulator??

Paul, as a Condor affectionado I will respond with the following.

Paul Surgeon wrote:
Hi Gary


Cons :
- Scenery doesn't depict the real life features. No rivers, roads, quarries,
mine dumps, etc. (I tend to view it as "candy land".)


Oh yes there are. Some of the privately ( and free ) sceneries mix
vector buildings and satellite immagery so you get the best of both
worlds.

- The trees are way too big (about twice the size of the real ones).


So the virtual world has bigger trees! Who cares! If you are that low
you have over cooked it anyway.

- Scenery areas are small so if you want to do a nice 1000km+
distance-to-task flight you can forget it. I think the limit is 512x512km
IIRC.


You can't do a 1000km triangle on the default sceneries but bigger
sceneries are available. There can only be a handful of nutters that
want to sit in front of a PC for 9 hours plus anyway! You can always do
a non IGC compliant star or other shaped 1000! At the moment there is a
permanent server up with a multiplayer 1000k task set on it.

- You didn't mention your OS but Condor doesn't run on Mac or Linux.


Not a problem unless you run those OS's I'll agree.

- Glider packs cost extra money.


What glider packs? They may do but its not certain yet since none have
been released!

- Major upgrades like version 2 will require a new purchase (I think).


You think ....... Say no more; anyway euros 40 spent ( what, the cost
of one real life aerotow? ) for what must be several hundred hours of
'flight time' I will have no problem with outlaying the same again if
and when a version 2 comes out.

- Aerotow and winch are scripted and are not modeled too well. Rope doesn't
seem to stretch and the winch operator will pull you along at 200km/h if
you let him instead of regulating the winch speed. Tug plane isn't affected
by the environment.


Some truth in this but its minor, Condor is race training / XC
focussed. The petty stuff is on the to-do list for the future.

- No trial and doesn't seem to be any money back guarantee which is really
daft in my opinion. What if it doesn't run on your PC or you don't like it?


I have spent a lot of time with the developers. If you had a genuine
case I'm sure you would get either all the help in the world to get it
working or your money back. The user forums are full of very helpful
people. The software runs on a fairly low spec. machine. There are
videos on the website and all involved say that what you see is what
you get.

Ian M

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US SSA-OLC League new for Summer 2006 Season! Doug Haluza Soaring 20 April 26th 06 03:54 PM
soaring simulator. [email protected] Soaring 1 December 14th 05 05:25 PM
Real World Specs for FS 2004 Paul H. Simulators 16 August 18th 03 09:25 AM
Soaring Simulator Update Detlev Schwetzler Soaring 3 August 16th 03 11:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.