Tiny vacuum pump

Old January 16th 04, 05:41 PM
Jim Weir

Default Tiny vacuum pump

Does anybody have an idea on how to make a tiny little vacuum pump on the order
of an aquarium pump or so that will draw just a few inches of water? Preferably
110, but I can rig up a 12 volt supply if necessary.

The reason I say this is that I'm getting ready to pack a fairly large number of
bags with used but serviceable engine parts (valves, pistons, etc.) and I'd like
to put each part in a "baggie" (sandwich bag or equivalent) along with a little
preservative oil, and then suck the baggie down with a football needle stuck
into the top closing mechanism just before sealing.

Thoughts?

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 16th 04, 05:45 PM

In rec.aviation.owning Jim Weir wrote:
Does anybody have an idea on how to make a tiny little vacuum pump on the order
of an aquarium pump or so that will draw just a few inches of water? Preferably
110, but I can rig up a 12 volt supply if necessary.

The reason I say this is that I'm getting ready to pack a fairly large number of
bags with used but serviceable engine parts (valves, pistons, etc.) and I'd like
to put each part in a "baggie" (sandwich bag or equivalent) along with a little
preservative oil, and then suck the baggie down with a football needle stuck
into the top closing mechanism just before sealing.

Thoughts?

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com

If it is just the suck that has to be tiny and not the pump, how about
a toilet paper roll and some duct tape to make an adapter to your shop
vac?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old January 16th 04, 05:46 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jim Weir" wrote in message ...
Does anybody have an idea on how to make a tiny little vacuum pump on the order
of an aquarium pump or so that will draw just a few inches of water? Preferably
110, but I can rig up a 12 volt supply if necessary.

Why don't you just get a foodsaver? (www.foodsaver.com). It will do the
vacuum pack as well as sealing the bag (and you can make arbitrary sized bag
as long as it's narrower than the roll of "bag stock." I've got one in the kitchen.

If that's too pricey for you, then there's always this one $14.94, not sold in stores....

http://www.pump-n-seal.com/
Old January 16th 04, 06:21 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Jim Weir wrote:
Does anybody have an idea on how to make a tiny little vacuum pump

You just need a surplus dental spit sucker. Perfect for removing air
from the corner of a plastic bag.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old January 16th 04, 06:25 PM
Jim Weir

Because the pump has to fit on a bench that is already overcrowded. If I was
going to use a shopvac, btw, it would be with a pvc waterpipe fitting glued to a
barbed fitting with plastic tubing. I thought of that and then the hassle for
each part of reaching down to turn the vacuum on for each part you want to seal.

Jim

Old January 16th 04, 06:26 PM
Jim Weir

Because Foodsaver requires you to use their special bags. Besides being WAY
overpriced, the bags ain't cheap either. Yeah I knew about pump'n'seal, but
that seems to be a kluge way of doing it. I was looking for elegant.

Jim

"Ron Natalie"

-

Old January 16th 04, 06:28 PM
John Mireley

Jim Weir wrote:

Does anybody have an idea on how to make a tiny little vacuum pump on the order
of an aquarium pump or so that will draw just a few inches of water? Preferably
110, but I can rig up a 12 volt supply if necessary.

If you have a compressor, use a venturi vacuum generator.
Harbor freight has them for about $10 from time to time.

Old January 16th 04, 06:32 PM
mikem

Jim Weir wrote:
Does anybody have an idea on how to make a tiny little vacuum pump on the order
of an aquarium pump or so that will draw just a few inches of water? Preferably
110, but I can rig up a 12 volt supply if necessary.

The reason I say this is that I'm getting ready to pack a fairly large number of
bags with used but serviceable engine parts (valves, pistons, etc.) and I'd like
to put each part in a "baggie" (sandwich bag or equivalent) along with a little
preservative oil, and then suck the baggie down with a football needle stuck
into the top closing mechanism just before sealing.

Thoughts?

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com

My wife bought a vacuum bagging freezer food storage system. It sucks
down the bag containing the food, and then heat seals the edge of the
bag. I have used it to seal electronic parts into bags. Should work fine
with a little preservative oil on mechanical parts.

MikeM

Old January 16th 04, 06:50 PM
Gig Giacona

How many are you doing? A drinking straw and your lungs will do a bang up
job with a zip-lock bag

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
Does anybody have an idea on how to make a tiny little vacuum pump on the

order
of an aquarium pump or so that will draw just a few inches of water?

Preferably
110, but I can rig up a 12 volt supply if necessary.

The reason I say this is that I'm getting ready to pack a fairly large

number of
bags with used but serviceable engine parts (valves, pistons, etc.) and

I'd like
to put each part in a "baggie" (sandwich bag or equivalent) along with a

little
preservative oil, and then suck the baggie down with a football needle

stuck
into the top closing mechanism just before sealing.

Thoughts?

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com

Wet vs Dry Vacuum Pump Fastglasair Home Built 1 December 15th 04 06:17 PM
Windmilling Prop & Vacuum Pump Matt Young Instrument Flight Rules 14 October 14th 04 08:08 PM
Remove oil seal from vacuum pump adapter on Lycoming IO320 HOW????? Ron Home Built 2 February 24th 04 05:34 PM
Tiny vacuum pump Jim Weir Home Built 41 January 24th 04 06:42 AM
Battery and Vacuum pump PaulaJay1 Owning 3 January 16th 04 05:22 PM