Some LiFePO4 Battery Testing Results Manual and Automated

Old April 18th 19, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Some LiFePO4 Battery Testing Results Manual and Automated

Every year I test my two LiFePO4 batteries to gauge how long they will last during a flight. I decided to open the field a bit and also tested some soaring friend's batteries.

You can read about my simple cheap manual process (later automated - see below) here http://aviation.derosaweb.net/#batterytest which was also detailed in Soaring (Feb 2012). Yeah, I know there are automated testers on the market but I want to create something cheap that everyone can make.

My battery go/no-go is how long it will take for the battery to drop to 12.0Vdc with a continuous 12Ω (~1A) resistive load. Here is what I found;

2013 Bioenno Model BLF-1209T- 6.5H
2015 Stark Model SP-12V9-EF - 5.5h
2015 Bioenno Model HN12V9AHF- 7.0H
2017 Bioenno model BLF-1209WS - 9.0H

Full details of my results can be found here http://aviation.derosaweb.net/batter...s_04.08.19.pdf

Anyone else tested their batteries in this same way? What are your results?

Automation - Manually gathering data every 10 minutes for 6-9 hours on four different batteries is tedious at best. I watched a lot of movies. So I decided to automate the process with an cheap $10 Arduino Duo. The Arduino software takes a reading at different points of time based on the current voltage. Every one minute at the beginning and end of the test, and every 10 minutes in the middle.

It still takes 6-9 hours to run the test but recording the voltages is fully automated so running the test is a start-then-walk-away-and-come-back-later-for-the-findings kind of deal. Luckily with the LiFePO4 batteries when they get below ~11.0Vdc the BMS basically shuts the battery off. The program detects any voltage drop below 8Vdc and terminates itself.

If anyone is interested in duplicating my Arduino test rig, drop me a line and I will share the details. My Arduino code can be found at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/batterytest/arduino.

John OHM Ω

Old April 18th 19, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 6:58:40 PM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

Well done John - very impressive, and a fun project.

I'm some combination of too busy and too lazy, so I spent $179 on one of these. I still watch movies, but maybe not under duress. ;-)

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/...COCcQAvD_ BwE

Andy
Old April 18th 19, 08:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

My battery analyzer is based on this cheap chinese coulometer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC8-80V-50A...-/252470874308

I use small car light bulb (10-20W) as a load.

I connect the thing between charger and batter or load and battery. That way I can measure capacity both ways. It is also super easy to discharge battery to optimum state for winter storage.

I like it so much I seriously thought about putting it my glider panel. If it only would support 2 or 3 batteries.

Old April 18th 19, 09:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Maxx Ruff[_2_]

Checkout (Google) "ZB2L3" or "Battery Capacity Meter Discharge Tester
Analyzer". (Less than $10, 15 volts max, doesn't provide a log, just
shows capacity)

I used an old micro-USB phone charger to power the tester. (Low-power
is OK as it is not doing any charging).

For the load I used a couple of 7 Watt car taillight bulbs in parallel.
(The
resistors supplied with the tester are not suitable as they get too hot at

12 volts)
I mounted everything in an old metal toolbox.

Easy to use, cuts out at the voltage you choose, shows capacity in amp-
hours.

I've been using 6 of these for years, haven't had any problems.

I get much more repeatable results if I only test batteries that have
been left on charge for a few days after the 'full' light illuminates.
I suspect that lithium chargers may indicate 'full' a bit early while there

is still ~5% to go before they actually shut off.
I know that Gellcell / NiMh / Lead Acid chargers indicate 'Fully charged'
when the battery is around 85 - 95% full.

Lots of good info on general glider wiring practices at
http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/#wiring

Particularly like the bit about fusing light current wiring so that it
doesn't
go up in flames. After a bumpy landing I once had an undercarriage-
warning wire let out some smoke. It was connected to a 10 amp fused
bus. The fuse didn't blow due to the resistance of the thin wire but it
still
got very hot! Luckily it was Tefzel wire and didn't melt.

Old April 18th 19, 11:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 18:58:38 -0700, John DeRosa OHM Ω
[...]

Battery_Testing_Results_04.08.19.pdf

[...]

I do much the same each winter, but I use an old Pro-Peak Prodigy II
battery charger/cycler mainly because I already had one, bought for model
flying. This does lead-acid, NiCd, NiMH and Li and discharges at 400 mA -
a bit low (my panel draws 480 mA excluding the radio, which is on a
second battery along with the T&B) but it does measure capacity
automatically: connect a battery, hit start and go do something else
until its finished.

You can find similar charger/cyclers on Ebay for GBP 22 ($30).

I used to run my Prodigy II off another SLA, but at some point weakened
and bought a cheapish 12 volt supply for it.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old April 18th 19, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

[...]

John,

I also test my LIFEPO4 each season with a West Mountain Tester. It is connected to my laptop and produces a graph for each test I use 3 amp discharge rate. The 12V 10Ah Power Tech "Ultra Stream" Lithium Ion Battery (LiFePO4) Energy Storage Battery that I sell all tested between 9 - 10 AH. The 14Ah all tested between 13- 14 AH.

I provide a test graph with each battery I sell.

I will provide all the results in a later post.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old April 18th 19, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Burghall[_2_]

As I still use SLA batteries and am into that sort of thing, I designed and
built a charger/tester using a PIC microcontroller. It doesn't record graph
data as I didn't see the point, but it tops the battery up, discharges it
while monitoring the capacity, and charges it up again - or just charges it
if that is what I want. A 16 by 2 display shows what it is doing and
displays the capacity once the discharge phase is done.

If anyone wanted to copy it I would be happy to let them have the design
and software and help if needed.

Old April 18th 19, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 9:58:40 PM UTC-4, John DeRosa OHM Ω
Anyone else tested their batteries in this same way? What are your results?

I test my LFP battery annually on a cheap multimode RC battery charger with coulombmeter. My six year old Bioenno 12 AH battery is now down to 11 AH capacity.

T8
Old April 19th 19, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 12:15:38 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 9:58:40 PM UTC-4, John DeRosa OHM Ω
Anyone else tested their batteries in this same way? What are your results?

I test my LFP battery annually on a cheap multimode RC battery charger with coulombmeter. My six year old Bioenno 12 AH battery is now down to 11 AH capacity.

T8

I got the tip from T8 and got the iMax B6 charger/discharger. It is a very versatile device (multiple chemistries and voltages) and only costs about $30. The fastest it can discharge a 12-14V battery is at 0.4A due to its heat dissipation rate limit (automatically set). But that's close enough to real-life glider usage to give a good indication of the battery capacity. It's also good for charging the battery (whether SLA or LiFePO4), and every time you use it for charging you can see at what voltage it starts at and how many AH it put in by the time it ends.
Old April 19th 19, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 4/17/19 7:58 PM, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:

Luckily with the LiFePO4 batteries when they get below ~11.0Vdc the BMS basically shuts the battery off.

True for most of them, but some of them don't actually do that. Easy to
ruin the battery that way. If I were building a battery tester, I'd
include an automatic load cutoff.

Test results LiFePO4 glider batteries after 6 years SF Soaring 102 August 9th 18 06:46 PM
Resetting a Bienno LiFePO4 Battery OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net Soaring 3 June 26th 18 09:26 PM
LiFePO4 battery technolocy [email protected] Soaring 9 October 17th 12 10:05 PM
LiFePO4 battery ASM Soaring 4 December 6th 11 08:00 PM
Spring Cleaning and Battery Testing ContestID67[_2_] Soaring 34 March 20th 11 07:49 PM