"Super Guppy" at Heathrow?

Old June 29th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
AES

Default "Super Guppy" at Heathrow?

Taxiing in on a just landed United flight at LHR a few weeks
ago, I caught a quick glimpse through a window across the
cabin of what looked (to a non-expert) like a semi-derelict
small-sized "Super Guppy" parked off by a big hangar:
fat fuselage, three engines (one huge one up in the tail),
faded bile-green color, what looked like big rust streaks
running around the fuselage.

What might I have been seeing?

Old June 29th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
JohnT[_2_]

"AES" wrote in message
Taxiing in on a just landed United flight at LHR a few weeks
ago, I caught a quick glimpse through a window across the
cabin of what looked (to a non-expert) like a semi-derelict
small-sized "Super Guppy" parked off by a big hangar:
fat fuselage, three engines (one huge one up in the tail),
faded bile-green color, what looked like big rust streaks
running around the fuselage.

What might I have been seeing?

The mock aircraft used by the Fire Brigade for training purposes?
--

JohnT

Old June 29th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

AES wrote:
Taxiing in on a just landed United flight at LHR a few weeks
ago, I caught a quick glimpse through a window across the
cabin of what looked (to a non-expert) like a semi-derelict
small-sized "Super Guppy" parked off by a big hangar:
fat fuselage, three engines (one huge one up in the tail),
faded bile-green color, what looked like big rust streaks
running around the fuselage.

What might I have been seeing?

Doesn't sound like a Super Guppy. Did it have jet engines? The Super
Guppy had 4 engines on the wings with props. I know that Airbus made some
jet powered guppy-like aircraft to transport fuselage sections for
manufacturing. Maybe it was one of those.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old June 30th 07, 07:42 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Graham Harrison

"JohnT" wrote in message
"AES" wrote in message
Taxiing in on a just landed United flight at LHR a few weeks
ago, I caught a quick glimpse through a window across the
cabin of what looked (to a non-expert) like a semi-derelict
small-sized "Super Guppy" parked off by a big hangar:
fat fuselage, three engines (one huge one up in the tail),
faded bile-green color, what looked like big rust streaks
running around the fuselage.

What might I have been seeing?

The mock aircraft used by the Fire Brigade for training purposes?
--

JohnT

I'll concur with that. Is this the beast?
http://aviation-safety.net/photos/di...0&vnr=1&kind=F

Old June 30th 07, 07:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Anno v. Heimburg

JGalban via AviationKB.com wrote:

I know that Airbus made some
jet powered guppy-like aircraft to transport fuselage sections for
manufacturing.

Yeah, but they are, AFAIK, all in service and only have two engines. So
probably not them.

Anno
Old June 30th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Eric Bartsch

On Jun 29, 3:40 pm, AES wrote:
Taxiing in on a just landed United flight at LHR a few weeks
ago, I caught a quick glimpse through a window across the
cabin of what looked (to a non-expert) like a semi-derelict
small-sized "Super Guppy" parked off by a big hangar:
fat fuselage, three engines (one huge one up in the tail),
faded bile-green color, what looked like big rust streaks
running around the fuselage.

What might I have been seeing?

I'm pretty sure you saw the fire training mockup. It looks like a
cross between a short 747 and a DC-10 and is painted green. See the
following pictu

http://aviation-safety.net/photos/di...0&vnr=1&kind=F

Eric

Old June 30th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
AES

What might I have been seeing?

The mock aircraft used by the Fire Brigade for training purposes?

I'll concur with that. Is this the beast?
http://aviation-safety.net/photos/di...0&vnr=1&kind=F

I'm pretty sure you saw the fire training mockup. It looks like a
cross between a short 747 and a DC-10 and is painted green. See the
following pictu

Absolutely -- that's it. View was brief enough and obstructed enough
that I didn't see the sign.

Weird looking object -- was it ever a real aircraft? And, the front
part of the fuselage looks so oversized, like a Super Guppy -- or is it
maybe just a short stubby section chopped out of a much larger aircraft?

Thanks for info.
Old June 30th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"AES" wrote
Weird looking object -- was it ever a real aircraft? And, the front
part of the fuselage looks so oversized, like a Super Guppy -- or is it
maybe just a short stubby section chopped out of a much larger aircraft?

Thanks for info.

It is made of fairly thick steel. They use some kind of fuel to catch it
all on fire, depending what they want to practice, then spray out the fire,
and enter the fuselage, when desired.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 1st 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Morgans wrote:
"AES" wrote
Weird looking object -- was it ever a real aircraft? And, the front
part of the fuselage looks so oversized, like a Super Guppy -- or is it
maybe just a short stubby section chopped out of a much larger aircraft?

Thanks for info.

It is made of fairly thick steel. They use some kind of fuel to catch it
all on fire, depending what they want to practice, then spray out the fire,
and enter the fuselage, when desired.

There was a similar ship in Alice Springs. We were standing on the ramp
there when they came and torched it off and then had the trucks come
running up and put it out.