What was he doing?

Old January 3rd 04, 09:57 PM
Dave

Default What was he doing?

Take a look at the replay at this site begin the replay at 1/3/2004 13:40
and keep a close watch on the northern plane on final approach to LAX

http://www4.passur.com/lax.html

Old January 3rd 04, 10:28 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 21:57:14 -0000, "Dave"
wrote in Message-Id: :

Take a look at the replay at this site begin the replay at 1/3/2004 13:40
and keep a close watch on the northern plane on final approach to LAX

http://www4.passur.com/lax.html

Either the pilot was attempting to comply with a rescinded request to
change runway assignments, dodging a flock of birds, or attempting to
intercept the localizer, IMO. I wouldn't have expected him to have
mistaken the runway 25L localizer for the runway 25R localizer,
because they're on different frequencies, but who knows ...

Old January 3rd 04, 10:29 PM
Chuck

"Dave" wrote in message
Take a look at the replay at this site begin the replay at 1/3/2004 13:40
and keep a close watch on the northern plane on final approach to LAX

http://www4.passur.com/lax.html

Looks like he stopped at Iowa City and drank too much of Jay's free beer
before he left!

Old January 3rd 04, 10:57 PM
Thomas Heide

"Dave" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Take a look at the replay at this site begin the replay at 1/3/2004 13:40
and keep a close watch on the northern plane on final approach to LAX

http://www4.passur.com/lax.html

Very, very interesting site!
Does anyone know if there are more than LA Int.? Propably european airports?
Thanks,

Thomas

Old January 3rd 04, 11:05 PM
Robert Moore

Larry Dighera wrote
Either the pilot was attempting to comply with a rescinded request to
change runway assignments, dodging a flock of birds, or attempting to
intercept the localizer, IMO. I wouldn't have expected him to have
mistaken the runway 25L localizer for the runway 25R localizer,
because they're on different frequencies, but who knows ...

On LAX's 4 parallel runways, the standard big jet operating policy is
to depart on the inboards and land on the outboards. Could be to keep
departures and missed approaches apart in instrument conditions.
However this is not really what arriving pilots want.... long taxis to
the terminal and often not able to cross the inboard due to a long
string of departures. So there seems to be a standing request for a
switch to the inboard if available.
That's the way that it worked back when I flew the PanAm LAX-SFO shuttle
in the late '80s. In VMC, we would almost always be cleared for an
approach to the outboard, requesting landing on the inboard.

Bob Moore
Old January 4th 04, 12:33 AM
Dave

"Thomas Heide" wrote in message

"Dave" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Take a look at the replay at this site begin the replay at 1/3/2004

13:40
and keep a close watch on the northern plane on final approach to LAX

http://www4.passur.com/lax.html

Very, very interesting site!
Does anyone know if there are more than LA Int.? Propably european

airports?
Thanks,

Thomas

Just more US sites

http://www.passur.com/sites.htm

Old January 4th 04, 03:58 AM
Tom Fleischman

In article , Dave
wrote:

"Thomas Heide" wrote in message

"Dave" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Take a look at the replay at this site begin the replay at 1/3/2004

13:40
and keep a close watch on the northern plane on final approach to LAX

http://www4.passur.com/lax.html

Very, very interesting site!
Does anyone know if there are more than LA Int.? Propably european

airports?
Thanks,

Thomas

Just more US sites

http://www.passur.com/sites.htm

This site is kinda broken. When I load www4.passur.com/hpn.html, for
Westchester County, I get a a map for Atlanta.
Old January 4th 04, 04:15 AM
McGregor

See what happens when you let the copilot touch the controls.

Old January 4th 04, 01:45 PM
Jay Honeck

This site is kinda broken. When I load www4.passur.com/hpn.html, for
Westchester County, I get a a map for Atlanta.

Yeah, I had a hard time making that one work. It locked up IE on me once,
but eventually worked.

LAX is very, very cool to watch. Scary, almost. Makes me appreciate those
ATC guys even more.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 4th 04, 06:03 PM
Darrell

Looks like "Marvin Mainliner" was doing a dipsy-doodle on final. Maybe he
was high and did an S turn to lose altitude and the map display exaggerated
the turn.

--

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
-