PowerFLARM protocol version 6

Old September 5th 12, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default PowerFLARM protocol version 6

On Sep 5, 9:28*am, Brad wrote:
It was kinda cool to see this, but do I need to know this kind of
info?

What do you have the range and altitude limits set to for each target
type? Can't you decide what is displayed and what is not?

Andy (GY)
Old September 5th 12, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Sep 5, 9:50*am, Andy wrote:
On Sep 5, 9:28*am, Brad wrote:

It was kinda cool to see this, but do I need to know this kind of
info?

What do you have the range and altitude limits set to for each target
type? *Can't you decide what is displayed and what is not?

Andy (GY)

I'll have to check and see what I have for settings, but if I recall
the range was set to 16 miles and the altitude was set for 4000'. I
recently loaded the latest PF update, and left the settings to
whatever the default was/is, I did need to reset my ICAO code.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about not being able to decide
what I want/do-not want to show. If you have some helpful suggestions
I am all ears! This is a new device for me and I am not that savvy yet
as to how to best set it up.

Brad
Old September 5th 12, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Baer

Am 04.09.2012 21:28, schrieb Ramy:

I doubt Butterfly or Powerflarm USA is reading this, otherwise they
would have responded. They should provide a forum for such discussion
which they will monitor.

Ramy

There is a Flarm forum since many years at http://www.flarm.ch (to be
more specific: http://flarm.invisionzone.com/ )
But it is absolutely useless to ask or propose there anything. Look at
the dates of the last posts.
I made a proposal at 'PowerFLARM' January 18th 2011. Since then there
are 1138 views but no answer or feedback. I would have noproblem if they
would tell me that the idea is stupid. But I would lke to be taken serious.
My opinion: forget them!

Bear
Old September 5th 12, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_32_]

On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 3:28:07 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 10:11:46 AM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:

On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:34:43 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:

" The PCAS range ring goes red when indicating a conflict. Thanks to the local helicopter traffic I have photos of that. Trouble is that, when the conflict exist, the range ring is very small and not very attention getting."

That's what I'm seeing too. And the red sometimes turns to black after awhile, then becomes red again when it refreshes the target info, apparently.

Bottom line - the warning cues for a near (altitude & slant range) PCAS target are poor at present, but should be fixable.

Hope Butterfly and/or PowerFLARM USA is reading this.

Kirk

66

I doubt Butterfly or Powerflarm USA is reading this, otherwise they would have responded. They should provide a forum for such discussion which they will monitor. However some of the readers such as Dave are affiliated with PowerFlarm so hopefully can discuss those issues with them. There was definitely feedback with the antenna installation issues. Speaking of which, I am getting very good reception (5+ miles in front,2+ miles behind)with my antennas installed in the nose of my 27 which is carbon free, so before you decide to stick a bulky antenna in front of your eyes, I suggest experimenting with cleaner installation.

Ramy

Hey Ramy, is the range you reported for PCAS or Flarm reception? I have my PB antennas in the nose of my all glass glider and have great PCAS range but very poor Flarm range.

-Jim
Old September 5th 12, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Sep 5, 10:08*am, Brad wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your comment about not being able to decide
what I want/do-not want to show. If you have some helpful suggestions
I am all ears! This is a new device for me and I am not that savvy yet
as to how to best set it up.

You can configure the unit to display only trafic that is close enough
in range and altitude to be of interest to you. ( I didn't say
anything about your ability to decide - perhaps a difference between
English and American idiom)

Andy
Old September 6th 12, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

It is the other way for me. I normally see Flarm traffic way before I get the PCAS alert from the same glider, if at all. Both antennas are located in the nose so this can't be an antenna installation issue.

Ramy
Old September 8th 12, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fox Sierra

Ramy, could you please post a picture or diagram of your antenna installation in the '27 nose?
Thanks in advance!
Fernando Silva ('FS')
Old September 8th 12, 10:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

At 02:01 08 September 2012, Fox Sierra wrote:
Ramy, could you please post a picture or diagram of your antenna
installation in the '27 nose?
Thanks in advance!
Fernando Silva ('FS')

If your FLARM antenna works extremely well in one direction, it is
likely that it is weaker into some other directions. When you have a
possibility to have two antennas with your PowerFLARM's, would it
be a good idea to have directional antenna in one receiver, and
then omnidirectional in the rx/tx one.