The AVSIM File Library Mirror

Old May 1st 04, 07:36 PM
Tom Allensworth

Default The AVSIM File Library Mirror

In the early days of Flight Simulation, Mark Strawcutter managed the Indiana
University of Pennsylvania's FTP service. This service was made available to
the entire world-wide simming community for free. Not since IUP effectively
shut down has there been a site or service available with the large resource
and high bandwidth that today's flight sim hobby demands. Now, for the first
time since IUP effectively went offline AVSIM, as Flight Simulation's
Premier Resource, will once again provide this wide ranging and valuable
resource to the community. For more on this new service, view this link:

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?...g _id=1&page=

--
Best Regards,

Tom Allensworth
www.avsim.com
Join Us In Denver for the 2004 Conference and Exhibition!
http://www.avsim.com/pages/2004conf/

Old May 2nd 04, 11:21 PM
Don Parker

THANKS TOM!!!

Old May 3rd 04, 04:02 PM
Greg Copeland

On Sat, 01 May 2004 14:36:46 -0400, Tom Allensworth wrote:

In the early days of Flight Simulation, Mark Strawcutter managed the Indiana
University of Pennsylvania's FTP service. This service was made available to
the entire world-wide simming community for free. Not since IUP effectively
shut down has there been a site or service available with the large resource
and high bandwidth that today's flight sim hobby demands. Now, for the first
time since IUP effectively went offline AVSIM, as Flight Simulation's
Premier Resource, will once again provide this wide ranging and valuable
resource to the community. For more on this new service, view this link:

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?...g _id=1&page=

Hopefully, they'll offer everything via Bit Torrent
too: http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

Old May 4th 04, 11:41 PM
Tom Allensworth

Greg,

Ain't going to happen. There are many issues involved in using a system like
"Bit Torrent", but the most important of them is that we, that is, the AVSIM
Library Management team, loses total control of the distribution system. We
have a strong commitment to the authors who upload to AVSIM to maintain
control of what is in the library at all times. For instance, if one of the
authors asked us to remove a specific version of a file, we could do that
with the base AVSIM library and the mirror. If we introduce Bit Torrent into
the equation, that control would be lost as we could not remove the file as
requested. We honor our commitment to authors, and BT would not allow us to
do that. That is only one of many issues with BT.

--
Best Regards,

Tom Allensworth
www.avsim.com
Join Us In Denver for the 2004 Conference and Exhibition!
http://www.avsim.com/pages/2004conf/

news

Old May 5th 04, 02:18 PM
Greg Copeland

On Tue, 04 May 2004 18:41:06 -0400, Tom Allensworth wrote:

Greg,

Ain't going to happen. There are many issues involved in using a system like
"Bit Torrent", but the most important of them is that we, that is, the AVSIM
Library Management team, loses total control of the distribution system. We
have a strong commitment to the authors who upload to AVSIM to maintain
control of what is in the library at all times. For instance, if one of the
authors asked us to remove a specific version of a file, we could do that
with the base AVSIM library and the mirror. If we introduce Bit Torrent into
the equation, that control would be lost as we could not remove the file as
requested. We honor our commitment to authors, and BT would not allow us to
do that. That is only one of many issues with BT.

Based on what you have stated, I'm guessing you don't understand how BT
works. Think of BT as an HTTP or FTP server where YOU are still THE
source for the material. The primary difference is that others help share
the bandwidth burden.

When you offer a file, you still have to provide a link for it on your
website. Furthermore, the link has to be known by the BT upload manager
(called a tracker), which YOU or a mirror site runs. If you look here
(http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/introduction.html), notice that there
is a centralized server in each diagram. That centralized server would be
you or a mirror site. Once you remove a file from the tracker, the file
is no longer available for download. Furthermore, once you remove the BT
resource link from your website, the file will no longer be generally
available. If you will be serving files by FTP or HTTP, then BT is a
valid and vaiable option.

BT is NOT P2P software. It is a file distribution method which allows
many people to help share the bandwidth load. Often, the resulting
available bandwidth exceeds that of the serving site. You stated that
there are multiple problems with BT but thus far, you have yet to identify
one, as far as I can see, based on what you've stated.

If you have any questions on BT, please ask. I'm happy to help correct
any other misconceptions you might have.

Cheers!