Overstocked on PDA's

Old December 3rd 03, 06:04 PM
Marc Ramsey

"Paul Remde" wrote...
I disagree that the older (3800 and before) screens were easier to read
outside. I think the 3900 and later a slightly better.

I suspect the preference is affected by quality of eyesight and age. The
biggest problem I have is getting enough contrast to be able to focus
properly, whether at my desk or in the cockpit. The 39xx has better color
rendition indoors and out, but for me, the 38xx has better contrast under
sunlight. The backlight of the 39xx isn't quite bright enough to overcome
the ambient light levels and glare. To make either one usable in flight, I
have to do without terrain, use the largest fonts available, and use a very
contrasty (essentially black and white) color scheme.

Marc

Old December 3rd 03, 06:52 PM
Noël De Corte

Marc Ramsey wrote:
"Paul Remde" wrote...
I disagree that the older (3800 and before) screens were easier to read

outside. I think the 3900 and later a slightly better.

I suspect the preference is affected by quality of eyesight and age. The
biggest problem I have is getting enough contrast to be able to focus
properly, whether at my desk or in the cockpit. The 39xx has better color
rendition indoors and out, but for me, the 38xx has better contrast under
sunlight. The backlight of the 39xx isn't quite bright enough to overcome
the ambient light levels and glare. To make either one usable in flight, I
have to do without terrain, use the largest fonts available, and use a very
contrasty (essentially black and white) color scheme.

Marc

Has someone also experience with Compaq AERO 2120?

Noël

Old December 3rd 03, 07:05 PM
Marc Ramsey

"Noël De Corte" wrote:
Has someone also experience with Compaq AERO 2120?

Yes, don't do it. They have old-style passive matrix color displays, and
they are the worst possible choice for use outdoors.

Marc

Old December 3rd 03, 10:00 PM
Jim Kelly

| I disagree that the older (3800 and before) screens were easier to
read
| outside. I think the 3900 and later a slightly better.
| Paul Remde

I think then on balance we can say that the H3950 is the best model
for gliding at this stage and that HP would do us all a favour by
improving their displays for outside use. Perhaps a slider could be
offered to the user that adjusts the contrast at the expense of
colour accuracy? Perhaps this could be automatically changed by an
"ambient light brightness" sensor! (perhaps the infrared receiver
can do this now?).

It is not just glider pilots that care. Pocket-PCs are great for
in-car-voice-guided-navigation systems, too, as well as for general
use outdoors. HP also need to keep the display size large and fix
the inadequate audio volume to have a chance at this market.

Cheers,

Jim Kelly.

Old December 4th 03, 12:23 PM
Tim

Noël De Corte s comments read:

Has someone also experience with Compaq AERO 2120?

One word describes it

Betamax

--
Tim - ASW20CL "20"
Old December 4th 03, 12:55 PM
Noël De Corte

Tim wrote:
Noël De Corte s comments read:

Has someone also experience with Compaq AERO 2120?

One word describes it

Betamax

Do you mean, you have positive experience installed in a glider?

Noël

Old December 4th 03, 01:40 PM
Michael Clarke

At 19:18 03 December 2003, Marc Ramsey wrote:
'Noël De Corte' wrote:
Has someone also experience with Compaq AERO 2120?

Yes, don't do it. They have old-style passive matrix
color displays, and
they are the worst possible choice for use outdoors.

Marc

Strange, I have been using a 2120 running Glide Navigator
II (good program, possibly clearer graphics than Win-Pilot
and a lot less colour). I bought an iPaq 5550 to improve
the display, and in daylight in the cockpit it is absolutely
no better than the 2120. Ten times the price, though.

Mike