Interviewing with Jeppesen

Old September 24th 05, 09:41 PM
Jason Smithers

Default Interviewing with Jeppesen

Hi all. I'm interviewing with Jeppesen later this month and while I am a
pilot (ASEL and hot air balloon), I don't have any particular insights into
Jeppesen products. What I need are a few "insightful questions" that I can
ask during the interview that demonstrate my interest in the company and its
products. Are there competitive products that you think are superior to a
Jeppesen product? Are there areas that you think some products fall short?
Is there some aspect of their business that they could do better (e.g.
customer support)? Do you see any missed opportunities for the company?

Any thoughts that would lead me to doing a bit more research and formulating
a few questions I could ask would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

Old September 25th 05, 12:28 AM
john smith

Any thoughts that would lead me to doing a bit more research and formulating
a few questions I could ask would be greatly appreciated.

Check out their website for all the products they offer.
Old September 25th 05, 12:58 AM
Jason Smithers

I suppose I should have stated the obvious. As are most all of us here --
I'm familiar with Jeppesen's products. I've been through their website, read
countless press releases, read a number of articles on the paperless
cockpit, and so forth. However, I've never looked at Jeppesen through the
perspective of critiquing their products and was hoping to find someone who
might have an opinion like "I like the concept of the paperless cockpit but
until we get X, Y, and Z, I'll keep my paper." Or "How will Jeppesen deal
with the new FAA regulation Foo". Or "I think there's an opportunity to
provide better solutions for fractional jet operators by implementing Foo."

Old September 25th 05, 01:23 AM
thecaptain

They could improve on the access to weather products for their
FliteStar program. Currently you have to phone them directly to get
the service for FliteStar... Everything else is available online with
them, so why not that???

Old September 25th 05, 02:40 AM
john smith

The obvious one is how to make their products less expensive... but I
don't think they are too interested in that unless they can charge their
customers the same price and increase their profits. :-))
Old September 25th 05, 02:50 AM
Sylvain

john smith wrote:
The obvious one is how to make their products less expensive... but I
don't think they are too interested in that

besides, it might not be the best question to ask in a
job interview; "oh! what a splendid idea! we'll offer
you half what we initially thought to offer then!" :-)

out of curiosity, and without going into too much
specific, what kind of job? and which location?

--Sylvain
Old September 25th 05, 05:47 AM
Yankee Whiskey

Hi all. I'm interviewing with Jeppesen later this month and while I am a
pilot (ASEL and hot air balloon), I don't have any particular insights

into
Jeppesen products. What I need are a few "insightful questions" that I can
ask during the interview that demonstrate my interest in the company and

its
products. Are there competitive products that you think are superior to a
Jeppesen product? Are there areas that you think some products fall short?
Is there some aspect of their business that they could do better (e.g.
customer support)? Do you see any missed opportunities for the company?

Any thoughts that would lead me to doing a bit more research and

formulating
a few questions I could ask would be greatly appreciated.

I interviewed with them for a software engineering position a couple of
years ago. It was a very technical interview. Detailed questions about
things on my resume, software engineering processes, design techniques,
DO-178, graphics, on and on. I couldn't even answer some of the questions
because the answers were proprietary to my former employer. I chatted with
an HR guy for a few minutes before he led me down to the interrogation room
where they went at me four on one for about an hour. I'm not saying yours
is going to be like this, but you should be prepared to defend yourself.
There was never any opportunity to ask them questions. I thought I held in
there pretty good with them, but I didn't get an offer and after the fact
I'm not sure I wanted one.

Here's a question you can ask: Why does your company continue to
unethically take advantage of its monopoly on US aviation data to squeeze
the general aviation community ?

Old September 25th 05, 11:55 AM
Peter R.

thecaptain wrote:

They could improve on the access to weather products for their
FliteStar program. Currently you have to phone them directly to get
the service for FliteStar... Everything else is available online with
them, so why not that???

The last time I performed an Airway Manual checklist (last November), I had
to place my order for missing/damaged charts via fax or snail mail. Why
can't this entire process be online?

Also, their customer service department has relatively limited hours, with
none available on Sundays.

--
Peter

Old September 25th 05, 05:39 PM
Scott Draper

Why does your company continue to unethically take advantage of its
monopoly on US aviation data to squeeze the general aviation community
?

Why is it unethical for a company to maximize its profits?

Old September 25th 05, 05:45 PM
Michael 182

"Yankee Whiskey" wrote in message

Here's a question you can ask: Why does your company continue to
unethically take advantage of its monopoly on US aviation data to squeeze
the general aviation community ?

Yeah, that will get him hired

Besides, it's not a monopoly - the US Gov't has the same data. And, I
assume, anyone willing to invest the money can get the data and compete with
Jep - no one wants to because the market is so small it would be too
difficult to make any money.

Michael

Ebay Auction Jeppesen VHS (4) tapes collection: Enroute Charts, IFR Emergencies, Departures & Arrivals, Approach Charts Cecil Chapman Products 0 February 9th 05 03:09 AM
A Jeppesen rant Peter R. Piloting 4 January 17th 05 03:54 AM
Jeppesen Charts missing names? Louis L. Perley III Instrument Flight Rules 3 June 29th 04 05:06 PM
Jeppesen Flite Pro IFR lLight Simulator AND Jeppesen FlitePro ATC Communications Software on Ebay Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 January 14th 04 01:37 AM
King Videos: Jeppesen Chart Review (2 tapes on eBay) Approaches & Enroute, Departures, & Arrivals Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 November 11th 03 05:14 PM