Air liner (air freight) hit by MANPAD

Old December 1st 03, 05:53 PM
Chad Irby

In article ReKyb.274644$ao4.944301@attbi_s51,
"John R Weiss" wrote:

"s.p.i." wrote...

Check these out...

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?location=Baghdad%20Int'l%20-%20ORBS

VERY interesting! A lot more damage than was apparent in the long-distance
photo, but all concentrated on the outboard wing. However, there were no good
shots of the rest of the underside of the airplane.

I think it *did* hit from above the wing. WIth the flight path we saw
in the videos, it probably came in from the side, aiming at that
outboard engine, and the tip of the wing got in the way.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old December 1st 03, 07:03 PM
John R Weiss

"Chad Irby" wrote...

I think it *did* hit from above the wing. WIth the flight path we saw
in the videos, it probably came in from the side, aiming at that
outboard engine, and the tip of the wing got in the way.

I didn't see the videos. Your scenario is plausible in a couple variations.

However, it is also possible that the missile came from low and to the left
(more likely from a close-range shot), tracking on the engine plume, and fuzed
on the wing. The frag pattern could have been radial from the missile
trajectory, missing everything on the airplane except the aft portion of the
wing (though I would also expect some hits on the belly or horizontal stab,
which I could not see in any of the pix). The remains of the missile body could
have missed the airplane completely.

Old December 1st 03, 07:12 PM
Tarver Engineering

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"Chad Irby" wrote...

[...]

Is the SA-7 an extended rod warhead?

Old December 1st 03, 10:36 PM
John R Weiss

"Tarver Engineering" wrote...

Is the SA-7 an extended rod warhead?

Don't recall. Also, don't know what kind of missile hit the DHL airplane...

Old December 2nd 03, 04:36 AM
Andrew Chaplin

Tarver Engineering wrote:

Is the SA-7 an extended rod warhead?

I've never seen anything that didn't claim it was HE blast-frag.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO