Hydroforming shops

Old July 18th 04, 01:19 AM
GaryP

Default Hydroforming shops

Does anyone know of a hydroforming shop willing to do small batches
of aluminum parts at a reasonable price? I need about 10 copies of
4 different parts with a 3/8" draw made out of 0.040 2024-0 and a
maximum length of 40". Too tedious to do by hand and achieve uniform
results. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GaryP
Old July 18th 04, 02:38 AM
Roberto Waltman

I do not know if "hydroforming" and "CNC Waterjet
Cutting" is the same thing.
If it is, or anyhow in case it helps, take a look at
eMachineShop:

http://www.emachineshop.com/
http://www.emachineshop.com/machines...et-cutting.htm

(See "Parts for a home-built airplane",
http://www.emachineshop.com/users/index.htm )

R.W

On 17 Jul 2004 17:19:04 -0700, (GaryP) wrote:
Does anyone know of a hydroforming shop willing to do small batches
of aluminum parts at a reasonable price? .....
..... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Roberto Waltman

[Please reply to the newsgroup,
invalid return address]
Old July 18th 04, 02:52 PM
GaryP

Hydro as in Hydraulic, not water. In a nutshell, hydroforming is a process
where an aluminum sheet blank for the part is placed over a male mold and
then a captive hydraulic bladder/soft rubber block in brought down on
top of it. When withdrawn the aluminum part is completely formed to the
male mold via the equal hydraulic pressure applied to the aluminum. It
takes a hugh amount of pressure and a very strong cavity to contain the
bladder/rubber block. Too massive of a machine for even a serious
homebuilder but typical for an aerospace job shop.

GaryP

Old July 18th 04, 03:09 PM
Richard Lamb

GaryP wrote:

Does anyone know of a hydroforming shop willing to do small batches
of aluminum parts at a reasonable price? I need about 10 copies of
4 different parts with a 3/8" draw made out of 0.040 2024-0 and a
maximum length of 40". Too tedious to do by hand and achieve uniform
results. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GaryP

Forming any -O material is not difficult at all.
But in that condition, the parts are not very useful either,
at least for structural purposes.

Whatcha making, Gary?

Richard