European military prowess

Old October 21st 03, 12:56 PM
Cub Driver

Default European military prowess

There was a post recently extolling the war-fighting ability of the
Germany army. Alas, it's gone from my screen.

However, I must point out the whatever the German army adopts in the
line of technological wonders, it will remain a joke at its present
size and budget. No doubt it could overwhelm Belgium, whose idea of a
military force is its marching band, and perhaps it could also deal
with Luxembourg.

I mention these two nations for a purpose: Germany, Belgium, and
Luxembourg constitute three out of the four nations making up the
proposed European strike force.

The fourth nation, of course, is France. Not long ago I posted to the
effect that of all the democracies in the world, outside the United
States, only Britain had a military worth speaking about. I stupidly
overlooked France, which does indeed have a serious military force.

(I also overlooked Israel, but for a reason. Israel is fully occupied
with its 100-year war against its Arab neighbors.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old October 21st 03, 04:44 PM
Denyav

However, I must point out the whatever the German army adopts in the
line of technological wonders, it will remain a joke at its present
size and budget. No doubt it could overwhelm Belgium, whose idea of a
military force is its marching band,

However,Germans are, unlike US,an advanced nation not an advanced country.
Old October 21st 03, 05:25 PM
Chris Mark

From: Cub Driver look

I mention these two nations for a purpose: Germany, Belgium, and
Luxembourg constitute three out of the four nations making up the
proposed European strike force.

This propose force will have to have public support to gain enough funding to
make it credible. According to the latest German Marshall Fund of the US
survey of Transatlantic trends, 71 percent of Europeans favor military
"superpower" status for the European Union. But only about 51 percent express
willingness to spend the money to make it so.

A summary of the report (with a link to the complete report), which deals with
a variety of security topics, can be found at:

http://www.gmfus.org/apps/gmf/gmfwebfinal.nsf/$UNIDviewAll/DB6E3FB8A75A3C7
F85256D96007A1583?opendocument&K1E73ABE2

Chris Mark

Old October 24th 03, 10:33 PM
SuperBLUE

71 percent of Europeans favor military
"superpower" status for the European Union. But only about 51 percent

express
willingness to spend the money to make it so.

While your USA tax money is traveling right into someones pocket (Dick
Chaneys for example),
Europeans are not spending their money for dumb military projects.
Also, we have all of the technology that you have and we have many things
that are not and will never be available to you.

Old October 25th 03, 02:32 AM
Stephen Harding

SuperBLUE wrote:

71 percent of Europeans favor military
"superpower" status for the European Union. But only about 51 percent

express
willingness to spend the money to make it so.

While your USA tax money is traveling right into someones pocket (Dick
Chaneys for example),

Who's pocket is your tax money going into? Do you even know?

Europeans are not spending their money for dumb military projects.

They sure as hell aren't! They don't seem to be spending it on non-dumb
projects either.

Also, we have all of the technology that you have and we have many things
that are not and will never be available to you.

A really good Bordeau has been very elusive in this country, that's true.

SMH
Old October 25th 03, 09:57 AM
Cub Driver

Europeans are not spending their money for dumb military projects.

They sure as hell aren't! They don't seem to be spending it on non-dumb
projects either.

Touche.

A while ago there was a thread here, decrying the fact that the U.S.
was spending half the world's military budget. I was dismayed by this
news. Who exactly was spending the other half?

It would be great news if the Europeans (including Britain on the west
and "new Europe" on the east) could pony up a miitary budget
approaching that of the United States on a GNP basis. Then Europe
could be responsible for its own defense, instead of relying on the
U.S., and perhaps to handle brush fires in such threatening spots as
the former Yugoslavia.

We would even be delighted to hand over the Middle East as a European
responsibility, if we could be reassured that its first action
wouldn't be to start a new Holocaust in Israel.

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old October 25th 03, 10:03 AM
Cub Driver

Europeans are not spending their money for dumb military projects.
Also, we have all of the technology that you have and we have many things
that are not and will never be available to you.

But what will you do if Romania invades? Call out the Dutch marching
band?

Of course I jest. We know what you'll do: call on the United States to
do all the heavy lifting, just as you did when you wanted to put down
Serbia.

Serbia! One small piece of the former Yugoslavia.

Yugoslavia!

Pathetic.

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old October 25th 03, 07:31 PM
Nele_VII

To: Cubdriver

If You have a clue what Yugoslavia (Including Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro,
Slovenia, B&H and macedoniawas before the war You wouldn't be so pathetic
Yourself.

If You have known how much blood has been spilled in the above mentioned
states, Especially in Croatia and Kosovo, would it still be "pathetic" for
You?

You are insulting entire region of former Yugoslavia because
subsequent countries are small, so I assume that You are including Croatia
in "pathetic" countries, too, thus insulting my Motherland.

I had a respect for You, Sir, but now I see that You are blunt and ignorant
uptooth.

--

Nele

NULLA ROSA SINE SPINA