$16,619.85

Old December 29th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Default $16,619.85

Your statement would be a huge surprise to my 'commoner' UK friends
who own their own airplanes.

On Dec 29, 1:49*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Dallas writes:
That's the cost for your ticket in Europe.

In France, it's more like $20,000. *Add another $20,000 for an instrument
rating, if you want that.

I'm glad I'm on this side of the pond.

Europeans have a stronger sense of social stratification and inherited
entitlement, so only the nobles are expected or permitted privileges such as
flying their own aircraft.

Old December 29th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Dec 29, 12:32*pm, Jay Honeck wrote:

With a price differential that great, any European flight student
would be way ahead financially to simply rent a suite here while
attending our local flight school. *We had a French fellow do that
here last spring, well before the run-up of the Euro; it makes even
more sense now.

Ha, another shameless plug for your motel.

Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Old December 30th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

As my target audience for this post was for those on the left side of the
pond, it made more sense to convert their currency to USD.

--
Dallas

That is true but its the local currency that matters when you discuss
the price of a service in a foreign country. Nobody living and working
in the US is going to go to Europe for flight training (although the
reverse can be true). If you really want to compare the costs of
flying between the USA and Europe, it might be more meaningful to
compare the fractions of disposable incomes that are required for
learning to fly in both regions. So I guess the question is, if you
are comfortably able to afford a PPL in the US (and your salary is
$xxx) and move to Germany to work in a similar job (where your salary
is EUR yyy), can you afford to learn to fly there as if you are still
in the US? I really doubt it.

Old December 30th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

With a price differential that great, any European flight student
would be way ahead financially to simply rent a suite here while
attending our local flight school. We had a French fellow do that
here last spring, well before the run-up of the Euro; it makes even
more sense now.

The US is great for time building if you already have a license.. I
knew one Dutch national at my local airport who came over for a few
months and racked up all the hours he needed to go from a commercial
to an ATP and he told me it would have been far too expensive to do so
back home. I think the benefits disappear if you come purely for
primary PPL training since you would need $1000 for the airfare alone,
plus car rentals, apartment rentals etc which would probably add up to
more than the cost of a European PPL.
Old December 30th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In France, it's more like $20,000. Add another $20,000 for an instrument
rating, if you want that.

In France they use the Euro.

Old December 30th 07, 09:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Tina writes:

Your statement would be a huge surprise to my 'commoner' UK friends
who own their own airplanes.

The UK has some of the sharpest social stratification in Europe.
Old December 30th 07, 09:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Martin Hotze writes:

except for all the loops one has to jump through like fingerprinting,
visa (!), etc.
for a visa you have to show up in person at the embassy (earlier one was
able to do that by mail, BTDT), this costs you at least 1 day (including
"interviews"). for a student visa you need a M1, but if you go Part 61
the flight school is not able to issue the required papers (and you have
to chose your flight school beforehand, changes are close to impossible
now, BTDT, too). Then you need the fingerprinting and the flight school
has to report you to the government/FAA. Each involved party in this
process, including the immigration officer can make your plans go south.
Then - not flying related - you have to deal with the new sentiments
against foreigners.

Nevertheless, an aviation magazine here described getting an IR in the U.S. in
detail, and the pilot still came out ahead financially. He does have to fly a
U.S.-registered aircraft, but apparently he specifically registered his own in
the U.S., so he's all set to fly IFR in France, bypassing the crippling cost
and red tape of the French government for the most part.
Old December 30th 07, 10:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

In article ,
wrote:
The UK has some of the sharpest social stratification in Europe.

I'd better give up my PPL then. I obviously won't fit in.

Andy
Old December 30th 07, 10:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Tina writes:

Your statement would be a huge surprise to my 'commoner' UK friends
who own their own airplanes.

The UK has some of the sharpest social stratification in Europe.

Even if true, you;re still talking crap.

Bertie