Airplanes and Brakes?

Old September 15th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_5_]

Default Airplanes and Brakes?

Saw the hot brake thing a couple of times- glowing red hot. I wouldn't want
to be standing anywhere near the wheel if the plug blew up. With the engine
running the ECS keeps the thing remarkably cool.

Old September 15th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
How about you? If you had to pay for the brakes, tires, and
maintenance, would YOU beat up the airplane?

Now that I have to pay for my own brakes, I hardly ever use them. Back in
my Cessna days, I'd occasionally have to use them to tighten a turn during
taxi (thanks to Cessna's bungee arrangement). With the Piper's direct
linkage, I almost never use them for taxi. On landing, traffic permitting,
I just let the plane roll out and slow down on its own. The only exception
to that would be when landing at short backcountry strips. Most don't afford
the luxury of a long roll out.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old September 15th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Sep 15, 5:34*pm, "Viperdoc" wrote:
Saw the hot brake thing a couple of times- glowing red hot. I wouldn't want
to be standing anywhere near the wheel if the plug blew up. With the engine
running *the ECS keeps the thing remarkably cool.

They told me what the tire pressures were but I can't remember. I do
recall it was some ungodly high pressure. I sure wouldn't want to have
one blow right next to me for sure :-))

Wonderful airplane! Just like the T38; point it where you want it to
go and hang on :-)
Old September 15th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_5_]

As I recall it was somewhere in the range of around 250psi, and the
magnesium wheels have a blow out plug to keep the thing from exploding.
However, I still wouldn't want to be anywhere near if the thing let go.

We taxied up next to one with hot brakes, which we called on the radio, and
I couldn't wait until the ordinance guys did their check to get out of
there- it seemed like the wheel was pointing right at us.

Old September 15th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

On Sep 15, 1:44*pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
I'm deligthted to see I'm managing to get some arguments and
discussion going. And if you notice, No Profanity?
I challenge my students to learn to taxi without brakes. and I come
down hard if they beat up the airplane with unecessary braking instead
of staying ahead of the airplane. (sometimes even with profanity! Can
you imagine that?)
How about you? If you had to pay for the brakes, tires, and
maintenance, would YOU beat up the airplane?
Ol S&B

Lycoming recommends a relatively high idle speed (1000rpm) to keep
the plugs hot enough to avoid plug fouling if using leaded fuel, and
TCM has a similar suggestion. However, at this idle speed I do need
to use brakes occasionally, particularly when taxiing downwind.
Old September 15th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Sep 15, 6:05*pm, "Viperdoc" wrote:
As I recall it was somewhere in the range of around 250psi, and the
magnesium wheels have a blow out plug to keep the thing from exploding.
However, I still wouldn't want to be anywhere near if the thing let go.

We taxied up next to one with hot brakes, which we called on the radio, and
I couldn't wait until the ordinance guys did their check to get out of
there- it seemed like the wheel was pointing right at us.

Sort of like staring into a loaded bomb I would imagine.
Old September 16th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
I'm deligthted to see I'm managing to get some arguments and
discussion going. And if you notice, No Profanity?
I challenge my students to learn to taxi without brakes. and I come
down hard if they beat up the airplane with unecessary braking instead
of staying ahead of the airplane. (sometimes even with profanity! Can
you imagine that?)
How about you? If you had to pay for the brakes, tires, and
maintenance, would YOU beat up the airplane?
Ol S&B

Correct tire inflation and maintenance of the nose strut are also part of
the equation. I'm pretty sure that those things are done propertly at your
school; but I doubt they are universal even today.

I hereby confess to having once inflated the main tires on a Cessna 152 to
the recommended nose wheel pressure--and found out why the recommended
pressure was so low!

Peter

Old September 16th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rocky

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
I'm deligthted to see I'm managing to get some arguments and
discussion going. And if you notice, No Profanity?
I challenge my students to learn to taxi without brakes. and I come
down hard if they beat up the airplane with unecessary braking instead
of staying ahead of the airplane. (sometimes even with profanity! Can
you imagine that?)
How about you? If you had to pay for the brakes, tires, and
maintenance, would YOU beat up the airplane?
Ol S&B

Try this on for size.....

I had a 1960 Mooney M20A. The first two years of ownership, during
annual it needed brake relines. After this I changed my operating
practices. Ever see a car with rusty brake discs? I and the other 4
owners started using the brakes on EVERY landing and for the next three
years did not need any brake parts replaced.

Think of it this way. You never use the brakes and they rust (yes chrome
included). Then when you do use them its like rubbing sandpaper against
the pads and discs. By using them regularly, the rust isn't allowed to
form by the discs and pads aew being cleaned each use. No rust = longer
life. Thats my experience with the Mooney.

Rocky

Brakes? WingFlaps Piloting 69 March 4th 08 06:27 AM
Good news for scratch builders of metal airplanes - Home Depot rents bending brakes flybynightkarmarepair Home Built 7 January 6th 07 04:22 PM
Carbon brakes [email protected] Piloting 3 August 19th 06 07:01 AM
Trailer brakes Bert Willing Soaring 1 October 31st 03 07:55 AM
Cobratrailer&brakes Greg Arnold Soaring 5 October 6th 03 03:14 PM