Occasional Instruction in own airplane

Old December 5th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Occasional Instruction in own airplane

Hello,

I'm a CFI, and am considering buying a Cherokee, mostly for personal
use. I would like to be able to offer occasional flight instruction in
that plane (less than 50 hours per year). This would consist mostly of
BFRs and intro flights. I recall seeing that insurance for such
occasional instruction was offered somewhere, but I can't seem to find
it. I don't want to pay an extra $2000 for such coverage tho. Is
anyone else doing this, and if so where did you obtain the appropriate
insurance coverage?

Thanks,

Chris

Old December 7th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

On Dec 5, 4:39*pm, wrote:
Hello,

I'm a CFI, and am considering buying a Cherokee, mostly for personal
use. I would like to be able to offer occasional flight instruction in
that plane (less than 50 hours per year). This would consist mostly of
BFRs and intro flights. I recall seeing that insurance for such
occasional instruction was offered somewhere, but I can't seem to find
it. I don't want to pay an extra $2000 * for such coverage tho. Is
anyone else doing this, and if so where did you obtain the appropriate
insurance coverage?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,
Check the regs... Flying for hire is what your CFI covers... Offering
YOUR aircraft out to the public is a different ballgame - airtaxi...
Remember Bob Hoover and CYA...

cheers ... denny
Old December 7th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| I'm a CFI, and am considering buying a Cherokee, mostly for personal
| use. I would like to be able to offer occasional flight instruction in
| that plane (less than 50 hours per year). This would consist mostly of
| BFRs and intro flights. I recall seeing that insurance for such
| occasional instruction was offered somewhere, but I can't seem to find
| it. I don't want to pay an extra $2000 for such coverage tho. Is
| anyone else doing this, and if so where did you obtain the appropriate
| insurance coverage?

As long as you are always in the aircraft, and you don't hang out a shingle,
would you really need more insurance?

On another note, are you certain your field will allow you to freelance? I
have heard of others being declined. Depends on the airport, but I would
make certain of the local policies before I bought an aircraft.

Old December 7th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

Chris,
Call AVEMCO, I recall them issuing a press release around the time of
Oshkosh covering this with little additional policy cost (for incidental
instruction). Don't know how this works for primary where the student will
use the plane solo. Good luck.

wrote ...

Old December 8th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

wrote ...

"Mike Isaksen" wrote in message
Chris,
Call AVEMCO, I recall them issuing a press release around the time of
Oshkosh covering this with little additional policy cost (for incidental
instruction). Don't know how this works for primary where the student will
use the plane solo. Good luck.

AOPA may also be an excellent source of info. All the best.

Old December 8th 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

An airport authority cannot limit access to the airport for "private"
instructors running their own operations and not being associated with a
"recognized" flight school.

To do so they would jeopardize their Federal Funding.
BT

Old December 8th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"BT" wrote in message
| An airport authority cannot limit access to the airport for "private"
| instructors running their own operations and not being associated with a
| "recognized" flight school.
|
| To do so they would jeopardize their Federal Funding.

Perhaps correct in theory, but not in reality.

Some airports do indeed have requirements that include maintaining
insurance, office space, restrooms, parking facilities, etc. And if your
local airport does, good luck finding anyone in the Federal Government that
will help an independent CFI fight it.

I would hope it's a rare situation, but it was discussed on one of the
rec.aviation groups a year or so ago, and several people acknowledged the
problem with their local airport. So it does indeed happen.

Old December 8th 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

BT wrote:
An airport authority cannot limit access to the airport for "private"
instructors running their own operations and not being associated with a
"recognized" flight school.

To do so they would jeopardize their Federal Funding.
BT

They can not keep you from operating an aircraft.

They can keep you from running a business on their property.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old December 8th 08, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"BT" wrote in message
An airport authority cannot limit access to the airport for "private"
instructors running their own operations and not being associated with a
"recognized" flight school.

To do so they would jeopardize their Federal Funding.

This has come up before, and although you are correct about them not being
able to stop you from teaching at a publicly funded airport, they can
require you to do other things, such as establish an office at the airport,
and to rent the office, and possibly hangar space from the airport
authority.

They can not keep you from flying in from elsewhere to practice, so it might
be a good idea to find a place that will not keep you from teaching as you
wish.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 8th 08, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague[_2_]

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 21:04:14 -0800, "BT" wrote:

An airport authority cannot limit access to the airport for "private"
instructors running their own operations and not being associated with a
"recognized" flight school.

To do so they would jeopardize their Federal Funding.

Only if the airport receives Federal funding. The vast majority of
small airports (nearly all privately owned airports, and even many
municipally owned ones) receive no funding, so they can do what they
want.

-Dana
--
Never write device drivers on acid.

these days, it convicts a entertainment too occasional in respect of her liberal mainland CWO Bob Z. Tonrey-McVinney Piloting 0 August 13th 07 02:28 AM
Part 91 instruction and TBO Doug Owning 6 August 20th 05 07:10 AM
Is a BFR instruction? Roger Long Piloting 11 December 11th 03 09:58 PM
Flight Instruction Chris Piloting 3 August 19th 03 01:42 PM
Flight Instruction Chris General Aviation 0 August 19th 03 03:08 AM