Arrgh! I may have scratched my windshield!

Old April 26th 04, 03:44 PM
Peter R.

Default Arrgh! I may have scratched my windshield!

Despite using windshield cleaning spray and lint-free, cloth wipes designed
to clean aircraft windshields, I may have scratched my windshield in
several spots. Not large scratches, but these appear to be those small
ones that will show up when the sun shines through. Damn! It was a
relatively new windshield for the Bonanza, too.

What do you use to clean your windshields (especially now that bug season
is here in the Northern Hemisphere)? Do you have a preferred procedure?

Are there products/procedures that will reduce or eliminate the appearance
of these small scratches?

--
Peter

Old April 26th 04, 04:18 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Peter R." wrote:

What do you use to clean your windshields (especially now that bug season
is here in the Northern Hemisphere)? Do you have a preferred procedure?

I use Prist when it's available, Lemon Pledge when I'm out of Prist. I use cotton
diapers for cleaning cloths (I found mine at Home Depot).

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.
Old April 26th 04, 06:48 PM
kage

I'd much rather have the scratch than distortion caused by polishing out
deep scratches. If they are that bad it's time for a new windshield.

Karl

"Guenther Eichhorn" wrote in message
To get rid of scratches on windshields, Micromesh is the way to go. It is
a lot of work to go though the procedure, but it really works. The canopy

Old April 26th 04, 06:53 PM
Guenther Eichhorn

To get rid of scratches on windshields, Micromesh is the way to go. It is
a lot of work to go though the procedure, but it really works. The canopy
on my Pitts dropped onto the tarmac one time and was badly scratched with
fairly deep scratches. I worked them out with Micromesh and it was as
good as new after a couple of 8-hour days working with the different
grades of polish. I got it from Aircraft Spruce as I remember, I am sure
you can find it at different aviation supply houses.

Guenther

Anti-spam email address in header and signatu
To reply, remove the string 'abc' from the hostname

Guenther Eichhorn |
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, MA
CPL,ASMELS,Glider,LBH,IA,CFI | Pitts S-2A: N1GE
DC-3 type rating | Flying is the Pitts
See:
http://acro.harvard.edu/ACRO
and: http://acro.harvard.edu/SOARING

Old April 26th 04, 08:23 PM
Jay Honeck

What do you use to clean your windshields (especially now that bug season
is here in the Northern Hemisphere)? Do you have a preferred procedure?

You need:

1. Lemon (not Orange) Pledge in a PUMP (not aerosol) bottle.
2. Clean cotton diapers

Procedu

1. Spray liberally with Pledge.
2. Use you finger tips (not nails) to gently rub away bugs. (It can be
gross, but you get used to it.)
3. Spray away the loosened bugs with more Pledge.
4. Wipe with the clean cotton diaper.

This is the procedure we've used on Plexiglas motorcycle windshields for
over 25 years, and on aircraft windshields since '98. They look good as
new.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 27th 04, 02:07 PM
Rich

I use Prist for bugs (It disolves them magicially)

Once a month I seal the windshield with a cream type wax based polish
(currently using the Permatex brand .... not to be confused with
Permatex gasket compound!)

Rich

Old April 28th 04, 07:58 AM
Roger Halstead

"Peter R." wrote in message
Despite using windshield cleaning spray and lint-free, cloth wipes

designed
to clean aircraft windshields, I may have scratched my windshield in
several spots. Not large scratches, but these appear to be those small
ones that will show up when the sun shines through. Damn! It was a
relatively new windshield for the Bonanza, too.

I use the soft paper shop towels and the plastic windshield
cleaner...and scrub like the devil. In 12 years I ain't scratched it
yet. Although I do keep a can of polish around just-in-case.

When leaving Osh the one year when it was so dry it took two pails of
water to get the mud off the windshield and it still left ridges of
mud behind when I first wiped it.

When I started the engine you could only see about a third of the way
down the row of airplanes due to the dust cloud.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com